Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Non-boost wheel + spacing + boost fork = binding on caliper!
  • villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Hey, sorry to ask, before I start using random washers in my shed 🙂 anyone experienced this before pls?

I upgraded my fork to a boost one but wanted to keep the non-boost wheel. Easy, bought a spacing kit (link below) but it now feels like the disk is spaced a fraction of a millimeter too close to the fork and as such is binding on the caliper.

I’d add a picture but haven’t worked out how to do it on here!

All the spacers on ebay seem the same thickness (3mm for the washers so presumably 4mm adaptor spacer that goes between the hub and the disc|) so can’t play around in that manner. In my mind I can squeeze a penny washer in to move the disc across the fraction it needs but can’t believe this hasn’t been a problem for anyone else?

I guess another option would be to buy a mount for the caliper that shoves it over a little, not sure if that’s a thing nor whether that’s ideal either.

Thanks in advance for any help

nbt

Last time I had something like this, I’d got the end caps the wrong way round. Swapping them back solved the issue

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Ah, I’m afraid the solution i’ve used doesn’t involve end caps. It’s basicaly this albeit in my instance i’m talking front (sorry, working round the fact i’m too stupid to attach images lol) https://images.app.goo.gl/JBcnpsoWNjsv6KYb8

stumpy01

If it’s only a small amount you need to shim it by, (assuming you need to move it outwards, not inwards) you could get a pack of Syntace disc shims. They are 0.2mm thick each & laser cut to the shape of the disc adaptor in your link, rather than having to fiddle about with individual washers.

They aren’t exactly cheap though for what they are.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Syntace disc shims

Ah ha, thanks @Stumpy001. Just knowing what they’re called is great. I tell you what, I wouldn’t need more than a few of them to do the job. I’m worried about putting stress on the forks by adding more spacing than the 10mm difference between boost and non boost but I guess a 0.2mm a go it’s not going to make alot of difference!

I’ll add a 1mm washer to guage how much I need, also to ensure it’s not that in adddition I have a problem that the caliper is too close to the disc (I don’t think it is but the old fork had a mount on it to move the caliper away from the fork a bit, tried adding it and the disc wasn’t even in the caliper but want to cover all angles first).

Thanks so much both

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hope do a 1mm spacer too if you need that much.

The hub addapters should be 5mm each side and the disk addapter the same. You can get away with just putting 10mm of spacers on the non-disc side. You gain something in a more symetrical wheel (once re-dished) and lose something in that the bearing is acting on the axle further from the dropout.

Alternatively, have you mixed up (or been sent) the wrong addapters? A rear disk boost adapter would be 6mm.

All this should be within the tolerance of the caliper alignment slots, but obviously not guaranteed.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If I understand you correctly op, the problem you have is the disc sits outboard of where you want it, eg as if it were a 111mm hub not 110mm?

I take it you’ve reset your pistons and the caliper is as far over as it’ll go on its holes?

Are you thinking to put the spacer between the fork and hub [adapter] end to effectively splay the fork a touch?

Have you tried a different rotor?

stevextc
    Free Member

Alternatively, have you mixed up (or been sent) the wrong addapters? A rear disk boost adapter would be 6mm.

^^^ This … its 2x5mm for the front (or 1x10mm) ^^^

squirrelking
    Free Member

^^^ This … its 2x5mm for the front (or 1x10mm) ^^^

How do you figure that? I’ve never seen a 15mm rear axle and 12mm boost would be a road fork.

stevextc
    Free Member

How do you figure that?

some low paid worker in china shoved a front 5mm brake spacer in the bag for the rear kit ???

legometeorology
    Free Member

If the problem is that the spacer behind the disc rotor has moved the disc a mm or two too far out, then as others have said a slightly narrower spacer will sort it

Don’t stack a load of 0.2mm or 1mm ones, Velo Solo do 2, 3, 4 and 4.5mm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300865187106

BillOddie

Based on the OP’s initial post i suspect he’s got 1/2 a rear kit and 1/2 a front kit.

Get the ruler out.

Axle Spacers should be 5mm each.

Disc spacer should be 5mm too.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Thanks all. That’s my bad, you’re all right – the spacers are all 5mm (I had in my mind the sum of the spacers needed to add to 10mm lol).

Cheers @dangeourbrain, I indeed had not reset the pistons but have now but it didn’t resolve the problem.

@legometeorology
    – magnificent, perfectly articulated and I shall buy! I’m not entirely sure how to gauge how many mm over i need to move the disc but will have my best guess.

As ever I really appreciate everyone’s input and patience with someone who should really not be let loose on the mechanics of a bike! 🙂

weeksy

don’t be so harsh on yourself. We all learn, most days we spanner.

BillOddie

That’s my bad, you’re all right – the spacers are all 5mm (I had in my mind the sum of the spacers needed to add to 10mm lol).

Sounds like you might have just run into the bicycle industries woefully wide tolerances and found what “should” fit doesn’t by the time you stack a couple of tolerances on top of each other.

I use the velosolo boost kits and their good so the spacers mentioned above should be decent too.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Thanks. My only hesitation after thinking about it over a cup of tea is if I replace my 5mm spacer with a velospeed 4mm one, won’t I make the wheel all sloppy i.e. 114mm of wheel and spacing over 115mm gap. Do I need to then buy a 1mm spacer to make up that difference lol or is it really not that exacting

BillOddie

No, you ned to replace the spacer behind the disk with a 4mm one.

This is a disc mount ending up in the wrong spot issue not hub spacing issue.

On thing no one has mentioned, you HAVE tried adjusting the caliper on the post mounts right???

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Got you, thanks @BillOddie.

Ah,no! I didn’t think there was any adjustment on the caliper, it just screws tight on the fork and that’s it right?!? 🙂

weeksy

Yes but it’ll move a couple of mm as the holes are bigger than the bolts diameter

zippykona

I’ve converted my fatty wheels and that requires a 15 mm spacer for the disc. Are normal bolts at risk of shearing or should I get fancy ones?

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Hahah, bloody genius. I had no idea!!!

I just adjusted it and it worked a charm. You’ve made my weekend lol.

Thanks for thinking outside the box and taking the time to state the bloody obvious as sometimes that’s the answer.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.