Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Non-boost frame swap from 2013 Trek Stache 7
  • elnevera

Hi all,
    I am looking for a bit of advice please, I have a 2013 Trek Stache that I’ve had since it released. At the point of release it felt great compared to my old cheapo mtb.
    I have been away from riding for a few years due to illness and injury but I really want to get out again.
    The Trek is a non boost XL with 68.8 deg head angle and a 72 deg Seat angle with 443mm reach.
    After the initial wow this bike is great wore off, I found myself thinking the reach was a bit short.
    Move on to today and I am looking round at all the slack looking hardtails out there and wondering/wanting to try a new frame out.
    Is there a non boost frame with a longer / slacker feel from a few years ago out there?
    I really like the Ragley Big Al but that would need new forks and a new wheel set.
    The forks on the Stache are RS Recon Silver 120mm 51mm Offset.
    I am 6’3″ and 19 stone (and dropping) so I don’t like feeling cramped on a bike.
    Cheers,

chakaping
    Free Member

I had that bike, with a fork upgrade it was great fun.

Maybe have a look for earlier Nukeproof Scout 290 frames, or Orange hardtails around 2016 or 2017ish?

docrobster

Any boost frame and an adapter for the back wheel.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think you’re going to encounter a fair bit of incompatibility with modern frames and older parts.

In your shoes I think I’d sell it on and finance a new HT. You can get some decent complete Ti bikes from planet X for not very much for example.

snotrag

I had one of those too, with the Green race face cranks, it was great.

I would also go down the sell and replace as a whole route personally.

elnevera

Boost adaptor? That’s a new one on me, I will look it up!

elnevera

@chakaping

I had that bike, with a fork upgrade it was great fun.
    Maybe have a look for earlier Nukeproof Scout 290 frames, or Orange hardtails around 2016 or 2017ish?

I do love the big, looks very XC these days though.Good call on the Orange frames, back when I got the Stache, the other bike in the mix was the Clockwork. I don’t know much about the Scouts but the frames look like they are well priced!

@Scienceofficer

I think you’re going to encounter a fair bit of incompatibility with modern frames and older parts.

In your shoes I think I’d sell it on and finance a new HT. You can get some decent complete Ti bikes from planet X for not very much for example.

I was hoping I’d be able to use the forks and wheels on something. I’ve already (2 years ago before illness) bought a XT/SLX 1×11 upgrade kit and SLX brakes. If I can get away with the forks and wheels I think I’d perhaps need new cranks although the RaceFact ones on the Stache are still in good condition.
    For it’s time, the Stache was quite advanced with the geo and tapered tube.
    I do like the look of the Scandal on Planet X though! Any reason you specified Ti?

@snotrag

I had one of those too, with the Green race face cranks, it was great.
    I would also go down the sell and replace as a whole route personally.

That Stache 8 with the green cranks was the one I test rode, it was amazing, really should have saved longer for that version. The forks were so much better!

How much would a 2013 29er get? It’s in good condition and totally stock.

elnevera

Replying to specific people/posts on this forum is fun!…..

elnevera

@docrobster

Any boost frame and an adapter for the back wheel.

Are there any pitfalls to using an adaptor?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.