• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nominate your best value bike bit!
  • jakd95
    Free Member

Idly thinking while recovering from Christmas eating, what bit of cycling related kit/bike/component do you think is great value? Not necessarily cheap but works well and provides really good value for money.

I’ll start off with the Shimano m520 pedal. A quick look on Wiggle shows you can get a pair for £19. Surely the best value pedal around? Functionally pretty much the same as XTR but a fraction of the price. Throw into the mix that they’re pretty much indestructible too, I’ve got a pair with ~10k km on them that haven’t been serviced and still function perfectly. Furthermore, they even come with cleats, which are about £8/9 on there own, essentially a pair of pedals for a tenner.

2018-12-29_05-28-06

matt_outandabout

M520 +1

My old Vaude 15l cycling rucsack is now 20 years old, almost in tatters yet still keeps going. IIRC it cost £25.

That said, the actual fabric on straps and waist pad is now worn in holes, so a new one this year…

PMK2060

M520 +1. I have them on all 3 bikes.

Aldi winter cycling gloves are also great for a fiver.

concrete24
    Free Member

XT Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket – I paid £13 just before Christmas (although they are at a heady £15.99 on CRC now)!

The last one has lasted 6 years so great value compared to the old FSA ISIS ones that used to last about 6 months on my old Stumpy.

Klunk
    Free Member

another vote for M520 pedals still running 2 pairs circa 2005-2006 still buttery smooth (bought the plastic service adapter with them still not used it! ).

tthew

I opined that the M520 should win the component of the year, every year in a thread just before Christmas for exactly the reasons you state OP. All my bikes have them, or the varient with the little cage, (M540?). Why would you buy anything else?

bigwatts
    Free Member

Hope brakes or exposure lights I can’t decide. Not cheap to buy but that wasn’t the title question. Both will still be working in 10 years time, won’t burn your house down when charging and won’t need throwing away when something simple prematurely fails.

danfisher334
    Free Member

Yeah we’ve got same pedals on all the bikes, I’ve seen riders a lot faster than I will ever be use flats, whereas I don’t feel right on them at all, need to be clipped in

Northwind

My Formula The One brakes. New, they were stupidly expensive but I got my first set for £100 including discs, and they’ve been on all my bikes since- not much that works as well on an XC race bike, a fatbike, and a dh bike. I’ll be using them til they crumble into dust.

dannyh
    Free Member

I would vote for the cut-down zipties I am using instead of Hope pawl springs. Virtually free and last way longer than the pukka ones….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My evoc bike bag, for the last 5 years it’s got bikes to places I’d never normally have the opportunity to ride, it’s kept me fitter when I’ve worked away and helped my have some amazing experiences over the years. The simplicity and functionality make it easy to use, a really tough and well designed bit of kit.

mildred

For me it has to be Hope hubs.

I’ve currently got 3 pairs of pro2 hubs on various wheelsets.

I’ve only had to replace one set of rear hub bearings (not the freehub bearings, just the mains) and one side of one front hub. I service them once a year and recently replaced the pawls on one rear. The old pawls were perfect but the springs were past it. I thought they were expensive to start with but considering how old and used some of them are, they’re remarkably cheap over the years – outlasting many frames & forks.

onandon
    Free Member

Castelli perfetto jersey.

It gets used so much more than I thought it would, but still looks new and performs amazingly well.
    The prefect three out of four season garment.

fossy

XT SPD’s – got 3 pairs. Bomb proof, great bearings. And they don’t snap axels like XTR do.

Other one has to be the X-Fusion HILO SL I got a couple of years ago from Wiggle (ebay) – brand new, other than a slight scratch on the finish that’s ‘inside the frame’. £80. RRP around £250

Altura Varium soft shell jacket – wind proof, great in sub zero, and water resistant (OK in light rain). £40 in a sale. RRP £120.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nominate your best value bike bit!’ is closed to new replies.