Nomad Mk1 vs Mk2/160mm-ish frame advice

Home Forum Bike Forum Nomad Mk1 vs Mk2/160mm-ish frame advice

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nomad Mk1 vs Mk2/160mm-ish frame advice
  • Lar89

Hello all,

I’m currently considering changing frame, and I’m considering the Nomad at the moment. I’ve not got a lot of cash so will be looking secondhand. The reviews seem to suggest the MK2 has some nice improvements over the MK1, but in the real world will I actually notice these differences? (As in is it worth me spending the extra to get a MK2 over the early model which seems more readily available secondhand).

To give you an idea of the riding I do, I like to ride up hills to ride back down them as fast as I can. Sometimes these hills are technical rocky mountains near chamonix, sometimes they’re welsh downhill tracks, occasionally they feature in part of a UKGE round, but unfortunately most of the time they’re small hills in surrey. My priorities definitely lie in the ‘smashing it down the hill’ part of the ride though. Currently riding an 06 giant reign with Lyriks on, which I don’t think is quite there geometry wise.

With all this in mind I’m open to comments on whether either age of Nomad would fit the bill, or alternative suggestions which I might be able to afford (frame needs to come in <£800 realistically).

Cheers,
    Lawrence

Mk1 climbs like and absolute DOG in the granny ring. Always lusted after them and managed to pick up a Mk1 in white (my colour of choice after first seeing one parked up outside Evasion Sports in Les Gets).

Biggest disappointment in 20yrs MTBing. In the granny the chain compresses the lower linkage, effectively shortening the chainstays by 3/4 inch with every pedal stroke. Hateful. They are also very sensitive to shock set up, preferring an air can for the rising rate but needing mid-stroke support that some shocks (especially the stock DHX 5.0)struggle to offer.

you should be able to visualize the effect here

Mk2 they changed the VPP curve to more linear and supposedly eliminated much of the pedal interaction in addition to other improvements, so yes if you are serious I’d look for a later model.

My big bikes get ridden everywhere from local trails to trail centres to holiday mountain trips (Colorado, alps, India, Morocco….). Replaced the Nomad with an Alpine 160 which I have no intention of changing.

discoduck

An early mk2 frame pre grease ports & thro axle should come in under £800 for frame

A Mk1 fully built in decent spec but older parts comes in on budget up to £1250 – £2000

cynic-al

I’d echo the above re climbing in low gears on a mk1. Great bike otherwise, too much for me though.

chris36860

Just about to order a new mark 2 frame as finding a second hand one is like finding rocking horse pooh. I’ve been looking for ages. Going to ride Peaslake in Surrey today with the hope that Pedal and Spoke is open to try one quickly. Will let you know how I get on.

Have you seen the black one on EBay is Surrey? It’s a Medium but built up really well. You could buy and sell the parts!

Edit. And the Medium just listed on eBay

twohats

I had a mk1 for years, great bike. Built right It can be a great do it all bike.
    Crashtestmonkeys comments should be taken with a pinch of salt as its not as as bad as he makes out, plus if you’re not using a granny gear they climb great for what they are.
    I moved onto a carbon Nomad early this year and its a different beast!
    Oh, I still have my mk1 knocking about for sale, Ano black medium with DHX 5 coil!

Lar89

Thanks for the comments guys, very helpful. It sounds as if I would appreciate the improvements of the MK2, as I quite often find myself climbing in the granny ring to get up the tougher climbs on longer rides.

Full builds definitely seem better value for money, and would offer me the opportunity to take the best bits from my current build and sell whatever is left over, but we shall see.

Im just about to sell mine either full build or the frame – red medium mk2 if your interested

Lar89

Thanks for the offer, but I’m probably not looking to buy for another monnth or so if I’m honest (unless you’re going to let it go for a very reasonable price…). Out of interest how much are you looking for the frame and shock?

That would be OK – im not in a massive rush to sell it but your post prompted me to mention it. I will send you a PM

Actually – I don’t know how to do that on this forum – can anyone help?

Crashtestmonkeys comments should be taken with a pinch of salt as its not as as bad as he makes out

except cynic-al agrees, and I’m not trying to sell one 🙂 I put my money where my mouth was, buying one of the few bikes Ive really coveted and was hugely disappointed. I’m not a Hora I tend to buy bikes to keep 😀 , the Nomad left me more quickly than any other bike. In the granny on the Mk1 the chain is almost exactly parallel to the chainstay, and perpendicular to the lower link, so all the chain tension is going to compress the lower link, and as its acting independently its not something you can tune out with the shock.

I also needed to fit new bearings (90 quid for the axle/bearing kit?) and in the short time I kept it it felt like it was going to need a new set-reason enough to stump up a bit more for the improved Mk2.

plus if you’re not using a granny gear they climb great for what they are.

This is true, if you dont need the granny to winch it up climbs and sort the rear shock its a great bike. I even managed to set the DHX 5.0 Air up to work well after a bit of research. My problem was taking it to colorado for 2 weeks, if you can climb a 35lb bike @11,000 ft altitude without the granny you have better lungs and legs than me…

Lar89

dropinneutron – PMs confuse on me here too, drop me an email to moonboots100 AT hotmail DOT com with some details and pictures if possible. Like I said won’t be able to do anything for a while, but would be nice to look into it.

Cheers for the comments. The Nomad is a bit of a hero bike in my head, and this is a pretty big bike purchase for me, so I don’t think I want to spend a lot of money for one which I know is compromised. I won’t always use the granny ring, but I will at some point need it to winch me up a big hill somewhere.

munkyboy

Tbh honest I find my mk1 better than my NomadC. Climbing aside the mk1 is way plusher on the downs, something a lot of mk2 and nomad c owners try and recreate with the push link. Just make sure you dont get one with a dhx air as they blow through the travel. As for climbing, well it’s climbing so never much fun really.

All said I would go for a mark 2 as the bearing replacement every 6-12 months on the mark1 is really annoying (if you run it through the winter)

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Have you done a comparison between the geometry of the Reign you’ve got and a Nomad? My guess would be that the only thing the Reign is missing is a slightly slacker head angle which might be remedied by an offset headset and/or some offset bushes.

Actually just looked up the geo and the Reign is slightly longer for each size (SC’s stupid sizing) with a degree steeper head angle but shorter chainstays. On balance there’s nothing in it and the Maestro suspension is probably better than the VPP.

It’s not a boutique bike but your Reign with a Works Components 2 degree offset headset ought to be at least an equal to a Mk1 Nomad.

Gaz

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I took the carbon out for a demo a couple of years ago (on par with the mk2?) was fairly mind blowing good climbed like it was rigid at times much to the disappointment of the guy demoing a HT and exclaiming that climbing was awesome on the ht as I wound my way past him 🙂 if I was still in the lakes I would have one. The blur LT felt just as capable and that’s what I finally ended up with. Not sure how much the carbon changes it though.

Lar89

It’s not a boutique bike but your Reign with a Works Components 2 degree offset headset ought to be at least an equal to a Mk1 Nomad.

Speeder – can you get a a 2 degree offset with an internal 1″1/8th headset?

It’s an interesting idea, but I was also looking to get a slightly smaller frame, and there’s an element of just wanting a new bike that looks nice!

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Speeder – can you get a a 2 degree offset with an internal 1″1/8th headset?

Just spotted you’d replied back sorry for the delay. The easy answer is I’m not sure but if you contact Works I’m sure they’d know. If it’s anything like the similar vintage Trance I owned it’ll be an integrated job so ought to be able to take a bit if not the full 2 degrees.

I understand the need for a new bike though and I’m sure that would trump all other options.

G

DT78

Loads on this subject on other bike sites if you google. The mark 1 is quite coveted for its downhill abilities. I’m currently in morzine on mine for its 3rd time in the 6 years I’ve owned it. I’m only a few seconds off pals on much bigger bikes. I did find the dhx air shit and swapped for a newer rp23. Also this year running180 forks and it feels great. Can’t say I share the comments about granny climbing I never had any issues, maybe I spin cleaner. Also I have only replaced the bearings once and they were free from jungle as they now have lifetime retrospective warranty. One thing I will say is be careful on sizing, they come up short. I should have really bought a large at 6 foot.

I may sell mine after this week if you are interesred, this is likely my last dh holiday and these days I race xc and could do with replacing my anthem for a carbon 29er soon

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nomad Mk1 vs Mk2/160mm-ish frame advice’ is closed to new replies.