• This topic has 96 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Nomad frame cracked. Anyone ever had any luck with Jungle?
  • devs
    Free Member

Jungle have told me to piss off basically as I’m not the original owner. It’s an 06, I’ve had it 3 years but it’s not been ridden an awful lot and certainly well within what a bike like that should cope with – no crashes or abuse. I’ve sent them pics and they say they will send on to SC in the USA but basically I will have to buy a new frame. They won’t even do crash replacement. If this is the case then my next bike will not be a SC. That frame should never crack there and if they can’t be arsed investigating or standing by their product then I shall put my money the way of a brand that does. So, is it worth pursuing and if not, what replacement frame for a Nomad? Bollox, I’ll have to stop wearing my favourite T shirt as well!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Really sorry to read this, but the main pitfall of buying 2nd hand I suppose. I’m sure they haven’t actually told you to piss off as that would be very unprofessional. I guess you’re aware that any warranty is null n void once it’s 2nd hand. You’re probably going to have to put it down to experience, IMO it’s just one of those gambles us 2nd handers have to accept.

walleater

It’s a second hand frame that is five years old and maybe the first owner beat the carp out of it? Either way, the Nomad is a fairly light frame for it’s travel so the dreaded metal fatigue could well have kicked in. Maybe sometime during it’s life, the dogbone linkage bearings seized and stressed the top tube? The importer doesn’t owe you a penny. I own the same frame and if / when is cracks I’ll just have to suck it up and buy something else.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can you just buy the main frame from them? Even at retail, should be cheaper than a new frame.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I have always had really good service from Jungle but I am the original owner of my Heckler. They where more than happy to discuss the problem with my frame and offered the crash replacement at a substantial reduction on RRP. Thankfully I managed a temporary fix which seems to be holding up. This doesn’t really help you though.

The crack looks like fatigue rather than a manufacturing issue so really it’s just unfortunate, buying second hand is always a gamble. Have you asked Jungle for a cost for a new front end? It will be far cheaper than buying a whole new frame. Failing that, do you have a local SC dealer who may take pity on you and be kind enough to give you a discount on a new one?

Good luck.

bland

I think the likes of commencals pittiful 08/09 season of bikes has really highlighted the importance of warrantys and i think folk are slowly picking up on it. At some point it will have a big effect on second hand prices. Some folk seem to understand a second hand frame is worth a fraction of the new price but others are still in dream world when selling them on.

One thing i have noticed as frames rise in price is the number of freshly painted second hand frames appearing on ebay. People really need to realsie that the only reason a frame is painted before sale is to hide something.

Bit off topic sorry. Jungle/Stiff seem ok but a five year old second hand frame isnt going to get warrantied by them.

ftr1873
    Free Member

My mate had this exact problem and his was out of warranty. As the Nomad mk2 was out he had to buy a new rear triangle and Jungle gave him the front for free. However his was only 3 years old at the time and he was the original owner. It’s annoying because this is a common failure in the Nomad mk1. I think if you were the original owner you might get something but not many companies will cover your situation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve heard my views Gav…good just with SC USA, they sold me a Heckler rear end and it wasn’t too expensive…tho they are unlikely to have those.

WCS get it welded?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Buy another second hand Nomad?

You’ve had three years service from that and you could sell the rear triangle on Fleabay to someone who has bust the other end.

Rorschach
    Free Member

5 year old,2nd hand frame in ‘not covered by warranty’ shocker. 😕
    Buy a Nicolai next time.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah you’ve got to love the transferable warranty on Nicolais.

I feel form the OP but that is the second hand gamble.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not the original owner & 3 years out of warranty? What did you honestly expect?!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Not sure what the OP expected but Jungle seem to have taken a reasonable and fairly understandable position on it. Anything discount-wise you might get from them would be down to goodwill but then you’ve come on here to flame them so ………

devs
    Free Member

Do the STW massive really accept that you can pay nearly 2k for a frame and then chuck it away after 5 years because metal fatigue is acceptable? Mr Turner backs his brand better, as do every car manufacturer. This annoys me as SC charge a premium over other brands. It would appear that this is just for a trendy name and nothing to do with support or backing the brand. I got suckered, mainly because it is a thing of beauty and does ride really well. I’m eyeing up an alpine 160 frame just now. What is the Nicholai equivalent then? Anything else?

Madfly
    Free Member

Do you still have the details for the previous owner?
    Is there a chance they could hunt around for the reciept? Or ask the shop to re-print the origional?

If it has their name on it ask them nicely to help out or if not, you suddenly become the origional owner?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you’d paid nearly 2k for the frame you’d be entitled to some help, warranty, big discount on replacing, but you didn’t pay nearly 2k, did you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry OP I have some sympathy but this is what happens when you buy SH – no warranty.

toys19
    Free Member

devs – I agree, to pay 1k-2k for a frame and it only last five years is a bit of a poor show. But the OP didn’t pay full price…

devs
    Free Member

Cheeky Monkey, I’m not short of a bob or two and the difference between a crash replacement or new frame doesn’t bother me massively. What does bother me is the tough luck attitude I got on the phone. It would appear that I’m not alone in this respect. Maybe they’re fed up with people phoning up about cracked 2nd hand Nomads and have lost the customer empathy. Their hard line has cost them, they had their chance. When I first saw the crack I thought “goody new 2011 frame” and was prepared to pay full whack for it. That is until Jungle couldn’t give a toss that their flagship brand may have metal fatigue problems. People tell me that SC USA are pretty cool to deal with so maybe they will help me out eventually but they’d best hurry up! I’ve got a burning feeling in my pocket.

geetee1972
    Free Member

But the OP didn’t pay full price…

Devs is the OP

Devs like other people have said, you didn’t pay full price for it (at least I/we hope you didn’t.

There is a separate point which is the likelihood of metal fatigue after five years and whether it’s reasonable to expect it or not. I know that aluminium is susceptible to fatigue and you do see a fair few frames on here that have cracked.

Maybe the more fundamental question then is the quality of SC’s manufacturing; they do after all outsource it to somewhere else, although Intense manufacture in house as wel and their frames are notorious for being poor on quality control (with alignment issues and excessive bearing wear being very common).

If you want peace of mind, buy new and buy something with a lifetime warranty.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF Jungle’s attitude to me really ****ed me off, you’d think they could sell spares to SH owners etc and make money on it but it seems they prefer to be a bit crappy with you.

wwaswas

I love the smell of righteous indignation in the morning.

devs
    Free Member

Al, aye learning the lesson. I don’t want warranty. I would at least expect them to be interested and offer some form of assistance. The tough luck stance doesn’t swing it for me!

toys19, I didn’t pay full price no, but I also know how much it has been ridden over the last 3 years and it’s not a massive amount. So if the fault is metal fatigue then it has happened within 2 years and given the condition of the frame when I got it it wasn’t ridden hard at all previously. Not unless the original owner was a bikey panel beater par excellence. 2k for 2 and a bit years of riding is steep!

matthew_h
    Free Member

They aren’t, or weren’t £2k either though were they.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Devs – what is it that you’re upset with and what would have been a realistic outcome for you?

bluebird
    Free Member

Do the STW massive really accept that you can pay nearly 2k for a frame and then chuck it away after 5 years because metal fatigue is acceptable?

Even Nicolai only offer a five year warranty, and they’re built like tanks. You’d be looking at a Helius AC or AM.

I can see why you’d be upset about a broken frame and the cost of a new one, but at the same time I think you’re being a little bit unrealistic about the support you should receive from a company that you haven’t actually paid any money to.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I don’t want warranty

You’re opening post seems to suggest otherwise.

2k for 2 and a bit years of riding

It’s 5 years old. You might ride canal towpaths, you might also be 18 stone. If you were the original owner your indignation might be justified.

If you have the money buy a new one, and in 5 years time you will have a leg to stand on. At the moment, you don’t.

Klunk
    Free Member

is that a large frame by any chance ?

toys19
    Free Member

devs is the OP

DOH! Facepalm.. Sorry.

TBF Jungle’s attitude to me really ****ed me off, you’d think they could sell spares to SH owners etc and make money on it but it seems they prefer to be a bit crappy with you
    Posted 11 minutes ago # Report-Post

TBH I have had utterly abysmal service from Jungle in the past, I had to rope SC USA to get them to behave. I used to be an SC addict but jungles attitude put me off.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Way to go with wild speculation and assumption there chap 😉

Look, I kind of get where you’re coming from and poor service is never great. However, the point (as I read it) behind your post was that you wanted / expected stuff out of Jungle for a frame that’s 5 years old, has had at least 2 owners, who knows what level of use / maintenance etc. To my mind that’s unlikely and unrealistic.

I get your point about brand and perception but I’m not convinced by it, certainly not (from the info in this thread) that Jungle should have sorted you out. If it’s a sniffy attitude on the phone then fair play, being professional and courteous is always the proper way to deal with people. However (and at the risk of making a generalisation just as I’ve pulled your leg about, above), it’s a “two way street” i.e. be cool with them and they should be the same with you.

Hey ho 😎

chakaping
    Free Member

This annoys me as SC charge a premium over other brands.

That’s a tax on mugs, nothign to do with transferrable warranties.

😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

toys19, I didn’t pay full price no, but I also know how much it has been ridden over the last 3 years and it’s not a massive amount. So if the fault is metal fatigue then it has happened within 2 years and given the condition of the frame when I got it it wasn’t ridden hard at all previously. Not unless the original owner was a bikey panel beater par excellence. 2k for 2 and a bit years of riding is steep

Part of the reason the RRP is high on bikes and frames is to pay for the aftersales. If you don’t pay for it don’t expect to get it.

And you didn’t pay 2k for 2 years riding did you? Bike don’t have a millage built into them like cars do so they only go on age, and 5 years is getting on the life expectancy of most grades of aluminium in this useage.

Theres no evidence jungle where harsh to you, your just pissed that they didn’t give you a frame which probally cost them what you paid for your second hand one. I’ve never ever heard of anyone who doesn’t get what they want and say “but they where nice about the fact I wanted the moon on a stick”

devs
    Free Member

Devs – what is it that you’re upset with and what would have been a realistic outcome for you?

I’m pissed off with their lack of interest and empathy. A realistic outcome would be to ask for the frame to at least investigate why the crack happened and to offer a replacement front triangle or frame at a reduction off RRP.

What I got was “You are not the original customer we cannot deal with you” [/arnie voice]

honourablegeorge

I found Jungle brilliant to deal with, only for very small stuff, but still v. helpful, couldn’t do enough.

SC in the US have a fantastic reputation for sorting people out with crash replacement and warranty stuff. I’d give them a ring direct – The guy who deals with this stuff is always being talked about in glowing terms on MTBR’s SC forum, can’t remember his name.

convert

The cost issue is a tricky one. As a manufacturer you could build heavy and ugly and durable. But punters want light and pretty. Often the compromise is reduced durability. May be the lesson here is performance orientated (nomad is pretty light for its travel and intended use) bikes often have a reduced life expectancy. They never claimed it would last forever.

Same in other sports/industries too. You could buy a non performance sail for a yacht and expect many years out of it but a race sail will cost 3 times as much (at least) and last just a season. When I did a lot of windsurfing the sails in my quiver that got used a lot lasted a season at best, boards not much longer – you might spend £2-3K a year just replacing like for like. They could have made them out of stupidly tough materials but performance would be terrible. If you were a windsurfer and complained that a 5 year old secondhand component was knackered you would be given little support.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’m pissed off with their lack of interest and empathy. A realistic outcome would be to ask for the frame to at least investigate why the crack happened and to offer a replacement front triangle or frame at a reduction off RRP.

What I got was “You are not the original customer we cannot deal with you”

Why is that a realistic income. Its 5 years old and you are not the original owner.

a realistic outcome is ” sorry its out of warranty, you are not he original owner, we cannot help you”

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m utterly bemused.

‘Customer in moon on a stick shocker’

dhrider
    Free Member

SC state warranty is 2 years on their site so your frame is long out of warranty. I think Jungle are correct on this occassion as tough as it may seem!

devs
    Free Member

If you bought a second hand car and found that the chassis had rotted through would you just accept it? Seems the norm here. The original owner thing seems like a get out clause. What does it matter who is riding it? If it’s gonna break it will break. Aluminium doesn’t rot, it does fatigue if over stressed. I’ve worked on 50 year old aeroplanes that are structurally sound. If an easyjet fell out of the sky after being bought from American airlines and it was due to fatigue. Would boeing be able to wash their hands of it by saying that Easyjet weren’t the original owner? The bike hasn’t been ridden much in the last 3 years, therefore the crack that has appeared is either due to earlier abuse or the wrong material being used, or the wrong amount of material being used. As I said, when I got the bike it was immaculate. Anyways, it’s neither here nor there. Jungle’s attitude has ensured that I will not be an original owner of a SC. Options for replacement please!

devs
    Free Member

SC state warranty is 2 years on their site so your frame is long out of warranty. I think Jungle are correct on this occassion as tough as it may seem!

I don’t want it warrantied. I just thought they’d help out with the crash replacement and be concerned about frames failing. If a spate of people riding 5 year old Nomads cripple themselves because of a flaw in the design will they be able to ignore them? How will they know unless they investigate? I’ve made it public knowledge now that Nomads crack and that the UK arm of SC at least couldn’t give a toss. My work is done. Still not many replacement suggestions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Nomad frame cracked. Anyone ever had any luck with Jungle?’ is closed to new replies.