Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Noisy neighbours….
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So, i moved into a new (rented) flat, and on the very first night there was loud dance music until 7am directly below the bedroom 🙁 The flats are in a large converted house, with no sound insulation.

Had some words a couple of days later, they seemed nice, apologised and said it wouldn’t happen again.

3 months on, its still happening, almost every weekend, despite more complaints (the most recent a “heated” discussion on their doorstep in the early hours). I’m sick of it…so what are the options?

Council noise complaints team? Just leave ASAP regardless of cost? Bombers? wee in shoes? (seriously, if i try and reason with this idiot again its not going to go well).

At the outset I asked for a 6 month break clause, specifically in case there was noise, the landlady didn’t agree and insisted on a 12 month contract.

Other peoples experiences appreciated.

I’m just glad i don’t own it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Environmental Health – they can issue prohibition notices and/or eviction

jambalaya
    Free Member

Council definitely. They’ll write to the tennets below and after 3 reports they are (I understand) obliged to take legal action. You should make a listed the ocurrences, date of complaint to tennets and keep a log, all a bit boring but necessary. You can also try and pressure the landlord, eg saying he didn’t disclose the noise, best outcome is he let’s you leave early or gives you a rent reduction. Also this will incentivise the landlord to complain too

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wordnumb
    Free Member

Fight fire with fire: Hire your living room out as a rehearsal space for local bands, money covers your night out.

Hohum
    Free Member

You have my sympathy mate.

Go for the council option and get everything logged.

What you are experiencing is anti-social and should be dealt with.

onandon
    Free Member

For years I went though this shit. The council suggested keeping a diary of any issues or noise related complaints.
    After doing this for 9 month they didn’t intervene.
    Buy a 12 or 15 inch active subwoofer and connect it to the tv or stereo. Shake the foundations of the house and see how they like it.
    Childish but sone people really have no idea how this shit can effect people.

Cougar

Talk to the landlord, shirley?

avdave2

My sister used the lay your speakers face down on the floor, crank up the volume and go out for the day method. It seemed to work, once you know when the neighbours do their sleeping you know when to switch on. The flat she lived in was built on the site of a former club and the flat below was on the site of the old dancefloor and seemed to attract a certain type of tennant so the ultimate answer was to move.

andyl
    Free Member

You have my sympathies. Noise from neighbours is very disruptive and can destroy your life.

Speak to your landlord, he/she won’t want a noise complaint associated with their property. If they don’t give a crap then council. Take recordings or even better videos with something like BBC news 24 on the TV to prove time.

Failing that when it gets a bit colder one of your pipes might mysteriously split and dump a lot of water through the ceiling into the flat below….

monkeychild
    Free Member

I feel your pain having had idiots living next door before. I complained and then went for the fight ire with fire method.
    They didn’t like Enter Shikari at über decibels at lunch time. Funny old thing they shut up after that.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thanks for the sympathies! There is a family living above me, wouldn’t really be fair to put a speaker against the floor… tempting as it is, i really don’t want a war with my neighbour either.

I’ve kept a log. Filled in council forms, Landlord so far useless but will ring tomorrow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its only a war if their soundsystems bigger than yours…..

my neighbours daughter had obviously gotten used to the 70yo couple who owned my house before me being deaf.

first day i was sat in the house relaxing after i bought – mum and son went out leaving daughter alone – no sooner had the car left as the shitey dance music started loudly (and it was loud in my house)

gave it 10 minutes – no sign of it quieting down – open CD player – find iron maiden live at donnington.

run for the hills is quite good at “rattle stuff off the bookcase” volume.

she hasnt done it again.

hora
    Free Member

OP why have you waited so long? Happened to me on my first night. Croydon Council Noise unit pwned his ass very very quickly.

zokes
    Free Member

its only a war if their soundsystems bigger than yours…..

Yep, I’ve not had a peep out of our neighbours since we got our new Naim gear. It seems they didn’t want “A Whole Lotta Love” after all 😀

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I had it in my last house. Owner of a local Taxi Rank. Kids screaming noise all day long and mother screaming back at them. My Son was a baby at the time so settling him in bed was a problem due to it. Best bit was the neighbours shagging at the exact same day/time on the dot, it was hilarious. Me and the Mrs referred to it as Orange Tuesdays. No remediation was possible even though we tried and tried. The thing is, you take good neighbours for granted and when the bad ones move in its hell.

Eventually got sick of it, sold house and moved on. Not what you want to hear but I feel your pain.

JCL
    Free Member

You’re upstairs… Even a cheap active sub will turn your floor into a drum! An hour of that and they’ll be waving white flags.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe a wee ‘anonymous’ call to plod, as if they’re partying til 7am, they may have some stimulation?. 😯

enfht
    Free Member

Your council may have a noise abatement officer who will respond immediately 24/7 and has the power to remove whatever generates the noise. There is no acceptable time of day when residents can blast music as your expense.

Two pronged attack, you need to keep a record (get the correct form from the council) and use the noise abatement officer when it kicks off in the early hours.

Don’t let them grind you down, I know how tempting it is to fight fire with fire but that will ultimately weaken your argument.

Speak to your council.

cloudnine
    Free Member

They live below you… Just be careful not to leave the tap running next time you go out. Flood water can make a right mess through a ceiling.

hora
    Free Member

Btw good restraint OP.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

At the outset I asked for a 6 month break clause, specifically in case there was noise, the landlady didn’t agree and insisted on a 12 month contract.

So no doubt she knew about it being a problem?

Try speaking to the previous tenants and see if they were having the same problem with the noisy neighbours. If they were then go to the landlady about it and speak to citizens advice to see what they say about the situation.

globalti
    Free Member

Have a look at the Neighbours from Hell in Britain website and you’ll see that you’re not alone.

We moved house when violent drug dealers moving in next door with dogs that barked all night, parties, Police raids, litter over the wall, etc.

anagallis_arvensis

That 12 month contract is for your benefit not the landlords give notice to quit and move.

wwaswas

What a_a said.

Give a months notice explain why and find somewhere else. Personally, I’d never relax if I expected the music to start up at any time and it’s your home you’ve every right to relax in it.

duckman

If you have already contacted the council you can’t then go for the meet-five-finger-death-punch route,otherwise you are the same as them in the councils eyes.

geoffj

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    That 12 month contract is for your benefit not the landlords give notice to quit and move.
    POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

This ^

milky1980
    Free Member

Had a similar thing with a neighbour in my last flat. Was given loads of advice on the thread I started on here:

Thread about my twunt of an ex-neighbour

Ended up liaising with the landlord to get out and into a new place, have been contacted by the new tenant and helped them deal with him also. Some neighbours are just not fit to live in shared accommodation 👿

woody74

The problem is noisy neighbors will always be noisy as they are just inconsiderate gits. Basically either you get them kicked out or you move. They will never be quiet. I would tell the landlord that you have complained to her several times and nothing has changed so you are moving out. Then get a new pad and enjoy life. Noisy neighbors are hell and it just really grinds you down. Don’t battle it’s not worth the hassle.

bryan-g-

Take your carpet up and run around with a pair of roadie shoes on and if you slip on your arse all the more noise.

buzz1024
    Free Member

Phone councils anti-social behaviour team – asb noise is dealt with under section 46 of the anti-social behaviour act. The council will have an out of hours team that will attend and shut them down but you need tocall them whenever noise starts up and the permitted noise levels are enforcable 24hrs of the day.
    Enforcement can take the form of £100 fixed penalties, removal of noise making equipment and then an ASBO as a final resort. The council wil contact their landlord if renters and can take action against them as well.
    Guess what I do as part of my job?

nickjb
    Free Member

Lots of legal and revenge based options but in reality life’s too short. Get out find somewhere better. One if the benefits of renting.

dannybgoode

My mates have a 10kw sound system and between us we have enough bodies and enough really dirty nasty horrible dance music to mix non-stop round the clock for around 10 weeks.

Email in profile if you want to discuss further…

project
    Free Member

Find your local Irish Dancing appreciation society and invite them round for a [practice, when you know the neighbours will be asleep.

I knew someone who had a neighbour did step aerobics at midnight then a long bath in a jacuzzi type thing, sounded like an army pounding awaythen the sinking of the titanic asthe bath water gurgled.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Buy a turbo trainer and the nobliest tyre you can find, then churn out the miles. Teaches your neighbours a lesson and gets you fit! Invite friends round for a turbo night, get them to bring round their turbo’s,

project
    Free Member

Bag of pebbles in old washing machine and go for a walk, you wouldnt want to be disturbed by the noise would you.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

No junction box outside their flat?

sbob
    Free Member

Are the flats owned individually or do you all have the same landlady?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IME no one reasonable would do what they do wiht neighbours and keep doing it. It is pointless asking them /speaking to them, trying to make them change

Move out l – its the only solution that does work

As I had to pay rent when I moved out I may have accidentally left a bass guitar on feedback where the speakers had unfortunately fallen on the floor and caused the whole house/flats to rumble – they certainly objected to this

19ninety
    Free Member

If your renting then move out as soon as you can, and move on with your life, some where quieter. Dont let it run you down any longer than you have to, its only you who will suffer 🙁
    You can stay and try to fight it, but its 50/50, they might get evicted, they might have enough of the agro and move out, or they might not:

I lived above a drug dealer un-employed council tenant in flats a few years ago, went through fking hell with the ****. He was up all night, TV, music, mates round, drinking, our flat stank of weed, he had a dog which would bark loads too … and when that wasnt happening he’d be slamming doors or up at 5am spewing is guts up (which we could hear in out bedroom) after drinking larger all night. Communal recyling bin .. full of beer cans right after it got emptied. We’d have bins emptied outside our flat, kebab thrown up the door, “love” letters taped to our door and communal doors, spinless little fggot would stand and stare at us out his window whenever we left or came home …

Council did fk all, tons of letters, emails, all they did was keep warning the scum bag and offering us fking “mediation sessions” to try and resolve the problem. Spoke to the Police, Council, Envorimental whatever it was … no one gave a shit. They offered to install noise monitoring gear in the flat so they could start monitoring the noise levels… weeks and weeks and weeks and nothing happened. Landlord offered us around a 30% discount from out rent to stay, I declined as there was only two ways it was gonna end … I was on the verge od doing something I’d regret (you know its bad when you’ve worked out the entire plan in your head, every detail) and ending up in trouble or move out, we moved out.

dannybgoode

My dad when he lived in Sheffield lived next door to a student house and they were somewhat rowdy.

He took to calling the landlord whenever he got woken up be it 11pm or 3am and explained that this would continue until he did something about it.

Didn’t take long for the all night parties to cease…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Noisy neighbours….’ is closed to new replies.