Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Noisy drivetrain, thoughts please ?
  • weeksy

Grrrrr my bike is getting on my nerves LOL.

I’ve got a continual minor rubbing/grinding noise i can’t track down at all.

I had a bit of a click also so fitted a HOPE bottom bracket the other day, a brand new set of Wellgo B-54 pedals to go along with the BB and i STILL have the noise.

It’s almost like the chain is rubbing on the front mech… but i know that it’s not and it’s not quite as pronounced as that noise we all know and love.

Is it possible that it’s just the chain and the chainring rubbing and making the noise ? If so, why on earth would that be ?

I’m running a 10 speed SLX double and bash, bought in that configuration as a double, with a HGX 10 speed chain

Looking on CRC, it was this crankset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28019

Is it possible that the crankset is not Dynasys but my chain is ?? I was SURE when i bought this it’s a Dynasys / HG-X crankset… I’m 99% sure my chain is HG-X and my cassette is too

Would that potentially cause the issue i’m having… i guess maybe yes…

Rorschach
    Free Member

(Older) Shimano 10sp chains are directional (writing on the outside).

weeksy

Hmmmm i’m pretty sure i bought from Tweeks

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-chainsets-cranks/shimano-slx-chainset-m665-double-hollowtech-ii

that says it’s an SG-X …. Hmmm hmmmm.

walla24
    Free Member

Have you checked your free wheel/rear hub?
    Is it when you pedal only or anytime the wheels roll?

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d start by giving all the drivetrain a good degrease and clean ,chain off,cassette off,jockey wheels etc.

Reassemble and lube then see if the rubbing is still there ,I have had noises like this caused before by a dry or dirty drivetrain and bits of grass/sticks trapped in the back of the cassette or between jockey wheels.

If its still there after that I could be the your drivetrain set up or some other rotating part ie.Hubs or discs rubbing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Or….bented mech hanger?

weeksy

Only when i pedal, same noise with the ‘noisy’ Hope Pro2 evos, and also with the other wheels the very quiet hub Giant p-sx2’s.

Jockey wheels recently cleaned, chain cleaned/lubed often, i had the cranks out last week and made sure the rings were all clean

I’m thinking more and more that it’s an incompatibility now between the HG-X chain and the SG-X chain-rings.

weeksy

Rorschach – Member
    Or….bented mech hanger?

You know how it is with bikes, you’re 100% sure the noise is coming from 1 place but it’s actually coming from anohter…. but… i’m 100% convinced it’s coming from the front end rather than the back end of the drivetrain.

I have another mech hanger (and an XTR mech) i can use to prove/disprove the theory though.

weeksy

Right… i’ve bought another SLX 10 speed HG-X middle chain-ring. Should be on it’s way today i rekon.

I’ve got another crank that i can use that had a renthal middle on there once upon a time, it’s also an SLX crank, so will fit the new ring to that, fit to the bike and see what happens….

Thanks for the thoughts lads, keep you posted.

gonzy
    Free Member

could it be the chainring bolts?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Had a similar issue with my missus’ hard tail. Changed the bottom bracket and pedals, cleaned the whole drive train and spent ages checking everything but it *still* did it. As a last resort I chucked a new chain on it (despite the old one being hardly worn at all) and bish-bosh, quiet as a mouse.

Still no idea why

weeksy

gonzy – Member
    could it be the chainring bolts?

I’d assume not as it’s not a stuck together item by me, it comes built from Shimano as a double/bash so i’d assume they’re all the correct length etc. I checked them for being done up tightly etc and they’re all good in that context.

tomhoward

Is it your knees?

weeksy

LOL@Tom…. Maybe sir, maybe…. i’m getting old and tired i admit yes.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Take your chain off and spin the cranks, then spin the wheel. Does it still make the noise? It isolates those components.

weeksy

No, no noise with chain off.

woody2000

Brakes 😉

Could it be a 9 speed chain? Or would that just not work at all?

weeksy

woody2000 – Member
    Brakes

Could it be a 9 speed chain? Or would that just not work at all?

Not brakes, quiet as a mouse when i’m not peddaling.

Well, it COULD be a 9 speed chain… i’m pretty sure i bought a 10 speed HG-X… but as we buy these days from different places, it gets all confusing as to what’s what and no real order tracking… i’m 99% sure it’s a 10 speed HG-X.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    No, no noise with chain off.

So it’s something to do with your chain then 🙂

Depends how much it’s bothering you, if it’s only a slight noise. A new chain isn’t that much £, so that would be a good start point.

Or wait to see what your new ring does.

Last thought, chain rubbing on the rear mech cage?

woody2000

Aye that’s a point – have you put the chain the wrong way through the mech and it’s rubbing on the little tab? 🙂

Or, is the mech too close to the cassette, do you need to adjust the b-screw?

weeksy

Will have a look at rear mech tonight, i may even throw a new XTR mech i have spare on there just to put my mind at rest…

Woody…. it’s funny you mention that… because EVERY time i look at pics i struggle to work out the correct routing for the chain…. but i’m not posting a pic up of mine fitted just in case it IS wrong and you lot tear me to pieces…

Someone find me a decent pic showing chain routing please… if i go all quiet and say nothing… you know we have the answer 😉

weeksy

Using that pic mine is deffo routed like that… honest lads 🙂

weeksy

same…

gonzy
    Free Member

you still have reflectors attached to your spokes!! 😯

weeksy

not mine, internet pic… i’ll take one of mine later when the boss goes to the gym

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yes, in the middle of the rear mech cage there is a small tab that is easy to miss. If you put the chain in front of the tab it will rub on it. Put the chain to the rear of the tab.

dantsw13

I misrouted the chain through the rear mech a while back and it made just that noise
    😳

khegs
    Free Member

Did the wrong side of the tab thing myself the other day (I was in a hurry, ok?)

sounded clicky & graunchy, and also couldn’t shift into the smallest two sprockets unless I went into the big ring (3×9 xt)

Cougar

Been there, done that. Schoolboy error.

weeksy

Its on right lads, honest

khegs
    Free Member

Check your Chainring bolts, if one of them is slightly loose you’ll get a worrying sound (like a BB going bad)

Happened on my boss’s campag chainset recently, took ages to track down

weeksy

So, i have been playing, stripping and cleaning the bike after the sweet commute last night.

I’ve had the chain off and fitted the XTR rear mech. Chain is deffo on the right way, routed the right way etc. Chain line is good, mech is good… I think maybe it’s the front ring yes, but maybe just me being overly sensitive LOL.

I guess we’ll see when the middle ring arrives if we’re happy.

weeksy

Well i’m not sure if i’ve thrown you all a red herring or if the XTR rear mech going on has resolved the issue. Just done a 30km loop with a mate, his bike is WAY noisier than mine.. although i think my drivetrain is a little noisier than his, but in all honesty, there’s not that much in it.
    I think the XT rear mech i have needs new jockey wheels, despite me stripping and greasing them recently, they’re hardly free moving…Although they are the best part of 3 years and 9000km old… so they’ve had a good innings. I’ll pick some up and have as spare mech then for emergencies.

Thanks to all for the advice and ideas… much appreciated lads.

weeksy

OK,update on this… I was sill getting the noise.

Today i fitted the HGX ring onto a spare set of cranks i had lying about… instant and complete silence !!! I’m a happy happy boy.

Sadly, it means my lovely SLX Double crank is up for sale !!!

However… i have silence 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Noisy drivetrain, thoughts please ?’ is closed to new replies.