Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Noisy chain/mech. Informed opinions sought.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Fitted a new rear mech which has a longer cage than the one that I broke.

It shifts OK but there is quite a lot of “chatter”. I’ve adjusted it and the chain is not rubbing on the next sprocket.

Is the noise a result of…

A) The increased chain tension on the bottom jockey wheel?

B) Something else (please specify)?

Ta.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Define chatter – are we talking mech slapping up and down a bit or chain bouncing off frame? If the latter get hold of some stick on veclro, the fluffy side only, and apply that where the chain strikes the frame. Works a treat on my Coiler and that’s got a long cage mech. I’d never describe it as a quiet bike but it helps.

Harry_the_Spider

This is a long cage too (bought in error at 1:00am whilst pissed off about breaking the old one).

The “chatter” is like a loud ticking. No slapping on the stay, but a tiny bit of vibration on the cage. The chain is quite worn too. Could it be the action of that on new jockey wheels?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renster
    Free Member

Check the routing of the chain through the rear mech, i once made the mistake of passing it through the wrong side of the metal bar between the jockey wheels so that when the chain is under tension it pulls tight against it making the same kind of noise as if the gears were about to skip….just a thought! 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

Check the me mech hanger is true. Just a little bit out can cause an anoying chatter in some gears. Other option might be the B-tension adjustment screw. Is the top jocket rubbing on the largest sprocket in granny ring?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The chain is quite worn too. Could it be the action of that on new jockey wheels?

Sounds likely

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks all (particularly renster). I’d threaded it the wrong way round the bar in the cage.

I thought it felt a bit slow when I took it for a test spin, but I assumed that was down to too much wine and a dirty curry last night 😳

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Noisy chain/mech. Informed opinions sought.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts