Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Noise: Hope Pro 4 vs DT 350/370
  • joebristol

Ive been trying to workout through YouTube videos how the above hubs compare in terms of noise.

Currently got the DT 370 which I consider acceptably loud – and the Novatecch hub on my Hunt wheelset is similar ish which is also fine.

How do the Hope Pro4 compared with the DT Swiss 350 – both with the 18t and 36t ratchet options?

tomhoward

Waaay louder.

fathomer

What Tom said, my friends Pro4’s drown out my 350’s in a big way.

nixie

I have both. The pro 4 is much much louder to the point I thought the hub was missing on the first ride with the 350. As the 370 is a pawl hub I’d imagine it is also noiser than the 350.

nixie

What you really need though is a 370 to pro 4 conversion as the 370 is substantially different to the 350.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Currently got the DT 370 which I consider acceptably loud

mmhhh.

I have two bikes with DT 370. Compared to “other” hubs: no noise at all…?

The ratchet of the DT 350 are the better design so.

joebristol

Ok, thanks so far.

In which case, has anyone got experience of the Pro 4 vs a DT 370 hub? I was assuming the 350 was louder than the 370 – I found a video with a 36t ratchet in it and it sounded quite loud. But videos are really misleading!

I quite like the noise of the 370 – I could put up with a slightly louder hub – but not massively louder.

submarined
    Free Member

350 can barely be heard. I’m actually swapping wheels on bikes at the moment so I’ve got the Pro4 on the one I use for bridleway commuting, so people can her me coming!

A friend has whichever wheelset it is that comes with the 370, and it’s very quiet – similar ish to the 350

joebristol

Mmmmmn . Not sure what to go for then – seems I’ve got hubs at the opposite end of the spectrum on the short list.

I was looking at videos from the weekend of biking in Wales and on my mates GoPro you can’t hear his rear hub at all – and it picks up the noise of mine. My camera the freewheel is the majority of what you hear. And that’s the 370. My mate has a Zee and it’s completely silent. I wouldn’t want that, but equally I don’t want something embarrassingly noisy / shouty.

keir
    Free Member

whatever you have will become normal to you within an hour….

stevied
    Free Member

1st ride on 350’s after having Hope, I thought there was something wrong as it was so quiet.

There is a buzz but it’s much less intrusive than the Hope.

Much prefer the quiet to the Hope now, especially at night when there’s monsters and axe murderers to listen out for..

tomhoward

I wouldn’t want that, but equally I don’t want something embarrassingly noisy / shouty.

With all due respect, you are riding push bikes round in circles in the mud. Get over yourself princess.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Slight aside but how are you finding your Hunt wheels @joebristol

joebristol

Tom – predictable response based on what I see write, but I take your point. My wife thinks adults on bikes is ridiculous in fairness – which is probably respresentative of a huge chunk of the population.

However, I don’t know how I feel about my hubs shouting at me the whole time I’m not pedalling 😳

joebristol

@groundskeeperwilly – I like my Hunt wheels so far – although they are road disc wheels rather than mtb ones. They look nice / sound good and Roll well.

I even tested the crash replacement scheme in the first few weeks of having them – I got a replacement rim within 2 days at 30% off rrp. Smashed one into the biggest pothole you’ve ever seen and slightly warped the rim – I actually bruised both toes in my shoes the impact was so hard. I didn’t get a puncture and the wheel still rolled but it was a write off.

theGrinder

Hope hubs are “shouty” – you are quite right to have a think about it. If you are not used to them, they are very loud in comparison – to the point that i do not want them on my bikes. But they can be silenced to certain extent with grease and that itself deadens the clickety click of the pawls by about 50% – to be acceptable but the grease eventually dissipates (months)  and you;re back to square one – noisey.

scaled
    Free Member

I consider my Pro 4’s to be an acceptable alternative to a bell on the tow paths of Manchester

arogers
    Free Member

I have Pro4 and agree they are awfully loud. I tell myself it’s good for letting people know I’m coming but really I’m still bitter that nobody had stock of DT in Boost flavour when I needed a wheel. For me, the trick of muting the Hopes with excess grease lasts about an hour of proper riding before they’re back to full volume. Not worth the extra drag of too much lube IMHO.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The trick to silencing Hope hubs is using the correct grease. The blue XHP 222 grease Hope use is very good but even when over-filled will be noisy again quickly. I use a Morris red grease and they are absolutely silent for weeks then very quiet for months. I quite like the noise on my MTB but like a silent road bike.

joebristol

I think from the responses above I need to find someone local with a hope hub and follow them round a trail for a bit / see if I can have a quick go. I like the look of the hope hubs but I don’t want to upgrade my wheelset and find them really annoying.

Maybe I should go 350 with a ratchet upgrade to 36t and have done with it. Although I don’t really like the black / white graphics on them. I can’t justify the additional cost of the 240’s.

poah
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of ex1501 wheels coming so can record my son’s hope hubs and the 240s.  I personally don’t find hope loud.

zerocool

They sound better, a nice loud crisp click. Louder than DT Swiss, not as loud as E13

joebristol

E13 are louder than Hope?!

joebristol

Poah- that would be awesome if you could once you’ve got it all up and running

poah
    Free Member

you’ll have to wait a few days as they are coming from poland

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Poah – found a good deal on them?

joebristol

No worries, I’m probably at least a month away from buying hubs I’d think.

poah
    Free Member

Poah – found a good deal on them?

yeah so long as you want a 26er wheel set.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, we all agree that the pro4 is loud at least.

I’ve got a pro4 and have had dt350. The 350 is WAY quieter, but you need to spend 60 quid to get near the pawl pickup of the pro 4.

In the end, I went for the ease of service and pickup of the pro4.

These JRA bitex hubs have perked my interest though.

scruff
    Free Member

Bike 24 have got deals on some DT wheelsets, ive had some 35mm spline 1 XM somethings. They are quieter than Hopes.

poah
    Free Member

These JRA bitex hubs have perked my interest though.

they not the same as novatec hubs?

transporter13
    Free Member

After using pro2s for years… I dont find my pro4 loud at all.. Slightly more buzzy rather than out and out loud click type sound.

If you’re worried about buying hopes then have a listen to some chris King hubs in the wild. .. Hopes will be silent in comparison😉

Andy

Pro4 is a bit louder than DT 350, whether thats too loud is subjective. Been running Hope for years so have got used to it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Apparently not poah, although I’ve not looked to heavily into it.

gelert
    Free Member

I’ve got wheels with Hope Pro 2 (23T), Hope Pro 2 EVO (40T) and recently had a wheel rebuilt with the Hope Pro 4 (44T) and the Pro 4 has the nicest sound of the lot. Just my 2c on it. Zero issues with any of the Hubs so far. Oldest set is 4 years old now.

ashweee
    Free Member

I’ve currently got pro2 evos on a steel hardtail and pro4s on my full suspension. The pro2’s are way louder with a defined click whereas the pro4 is more of a loud buzz and as mentioned above definitely not as loud as e13!

@joebristol
    if you want to hear a pro4 in person let me know.

theycallmejerry

@joebristol I will have my Meta with me at work in central Bristol tomorrow with Hope Pro 4s on it if you want to pop in and have a listen. Or, be within half a mile of Queen’s Square at about 8 and you’ll hear me.

joebristol

Ashweee, that would be great, are you based near / in Bristol?

ashweee
    Free Member

Yeah I’m in Bradley Stoke so could meet locally or at Ashton court/fod.

bigjim

350s are more or less silent in use off road, I was on pro 2s before and won’t go back, love the silence!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Noise: Hope Pro 4 vs DT 350/370’ is closed to new replies.