Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nobby Nics and MMX rims
  • nicemonkey
    Free Member

I have just bought some MMX and Nobby Nics tyres, I have followed the advice and started mounting the tyre away from the valve and kept it in the central grove but the last 2-3" are impossibly tight to get on. I have tried tyre leavers but I didn't want to push it (so as not to damage the rim). Any advice?

gee
    Free Member

Use plastic tyre levers e.g. the blue Park ones. They'll break before the rims do – some tyres are a right bitch to get on those rims. The benefit is that they will be easy to inflate.

GB

nicemonkey
    Free Member

I have already broken 3 plastic tyre leavers!

gee
    Free Member

Which brand were they? El cheapo or Park?

nicemonkey
    Free Member

El cheapo!

dobo
    Free Member

i like the big yellow pedro levers

gee
    Free Member

That'll be why. Get some decent Park ones – they are loads better than crappy ones. Plus, hold the wheel upright and, starting at the top, force your hands round the tyre towards the bit which is not on the rim – the idea is to try to gather up the tyre in one spot to make it easier to get on.

sockpuppet

washing up liquid as lube?

nicemonkey
    Free Member

Ok I have got the tyre on but I cant now make the tyre bead go next to the rim edge it just want to stay in the central grove, I have used a gas canister but it made no difference

bikerbruce
    Free Member

compressor!

nicemonkey
    Free Member

does anyone know if the car tyre compressors that you power from the cigarette lighter will work or is down to my local bike shop (or garage if I am feeling brave)

matthew_h
    Free Member

Those car compressors won't work, they dribble the air in until it eventually gets to pressure. You need a high rate of air to get the tyre to pop on and seat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nics and MMX rims’ is closed to new replies.