Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Nobby Nic vs Racing Ralph rear. Will I notice a difference ?
  • junglistjut
    Free Member

I’m currently running Nobby Nic 26 x 2.35 Addix performance compound front and rear. These weigh 790g each according to Schwalbe.

Would swapping the rear tyre to a Racing Ralph 2.25 Addix Speed 565g (the new rear only model) make the bike noticeably easier to pedal ?

I plan to swap my inter tube for a lightweight Tubolito one, saving another 150 grams or so.

In theory I would be saving about 375 grams, have a slightly narrower tyre and a faster compound.

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, it would but from my experience unless it’s a bone dry summer or you only ride gravel stuff you will miss the nobby nic.

Go for the best of both worlds and buy a rock razor.

No idea about the inner tube but if you go too light then you will puncture more. Can your wheels be set up tubeless ?

patagonian
    Free Member

I run Nobby Nics in the winter and Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph combo in the summer. Yes less drag and noticeably faster around the same course but probably depends where you ride as to if you can get away with it.
    My area is all wooded heath land and dries very quickly so it works for me.

twowheels
    Free Member

In traditional STW fashion please let me answer a slightly different question )

I just got back from testing Racing Ralph 2.1s pacestar tle 29er having swapped from Crossride Quest 2.25. Rims are Mavic XC421 (so not wide by modern standards) and I’m not running tubeless ATM. However, I used to have the same Nobby Nic 26 2.35 on my old bike so do have a reference point.

The bike does pedal easier and the 80-90g per end weight loss is noticeable. On the other hand I am disappointed with the RaRa tyre profile. It is around 2″ width rather than 2.1″ (measured with caliper) and is more pointy (at my preferred mid 30s pressure) with much less contact area. It reminds me of the s-works renegade 1.95 I once enthusiastically tried and then back tracked on 🙂

I will use them in anger on Saturday at the Beastway opening race and then decide. I am kind of already planning to swap back to my old tyres for normal fun MTB trips.

Not sure if that helps!

twowheels
    Free Member

basically what Damascus and Patagonian said 🙂

junglistjut
    Free Member

Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful.

My rims are Mavic 729 and aren’t tubeless compatible :/ I plan to change to Stans Flow sooner or later and save another 200+ on rim weight.

I currently ride Thetford forest, the trails are dry and water drains easily. I want to move onto bigger things like Chicksands and Phoenix, but breaking my arm 3 weeks ago has pushed that back a little.

I’m going to try the Ralph and the Rock Razor. I’m keen to learn the real world differences between tyres.

andy4d

I agree with damascus too. I have been very happy with my nobby nic front / rock razor rear for trail centre riding.

Northwind

Any bike with 729s and Racing Ralphs is pretty conflicted!

I’d definitely go Rock Razor over Ralph- it’s faster and it’s got more cornering grip. Not much braking grip mind but you soon get used to that. I think it’ll work out heavier than a Ralph but not dramatically so, and the other things will trade off better (especially on a heavy wheel and if you’re wanting to progress your riding).

I love these semislicks tbh and of the ones I’ve tried the Razor is best by a fair bit.

nuke

Interesting timing as i have just been trying on a new 27.5 full suspension bike a RR 2.25 on the rear with a Hans Dampf 2.35 around the Surrey Hills. Quite dusty here and the RR just doesn’t quite hack it on the steeper looser stuff…kind of expected so switching to NN. Sticking with RR front & rear on my XC 29er hardtail though.

junglistjut
    Free Member

It appears Rock Razor is no longer made in 26inch. There are a few older Pacestar ones available but nothing in the new Addix compounds.

That’s annoying.

andy4d

Mine is pacestar too. Good rear compound even if it is the ‘older’ one, i wouldnt let it put you off, probaby a bit cheaper too.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Might snap up a few a keep them for spares if I like them.

damascus
    Free Member

You are not running it tubeless so I wouldn’t worry about the compound that much. Its also on the rear so pacestar is fine.

Northwind

junglistjut

It appears Rock Razor is no longer made in 26inch. There are a few older Pacestar ones available but nothing in the new Addix compounds.

Pacestar’s fine tbh, I’ve got a 29er Rock Razor in addix and another in old pacestar and you wouldn’t know which was which. Addix is at least 62% hype, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if some of the tyres are identical just with a stripe now.

kiksy
    Free Member

I have the 2.25 Ralph on my hardtail. It comes up very large. On wider rims it comes up like a balloon! Someone even asked me what plus tyres are like when I had it fitted to 35mm internal rims.

It rolls very quickly but a Rock Razor is going to be stronger and more versatile. Likely heavier than the NN though.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced a 10yr old Nobby Nic for a Racing Ralph Addix Performance 2.25″ 26″ on the rear of my FS bike. I’m running it tubeless on WTB I-23 rim. It grips much better than the old tyre and is more than adequate for the moorland riding I do in South Aberdeenshire.

junglistjut
    Free Member

@ballsofcottonwool

Is yours the new re designed Racing Ralph ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say yes.

I have Ralphs on my rigid 29er and I ride them all year round in South Wales where it’s largely stony with some muddy bits. Ok so the grip isn’t the best in mud but it’s quite rideable and it’s not bad enough to justify the buying and changing of tyres to winter.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

no I’ve got the 2018 tread pattern. I’ve been switching between Ralphs and Nics for nearly 10 years, the lower weight and rolling resistance of the Ralph is noticeable. The Nic only outgrips it in wet mud, depends on what trails you are riding, which you’d prefer.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Got a couple of Rock Razors in Snakeskin, Pacestar compound. Put one on the back and left my Nobby Nic on the front. Went for a quick spin and instantly felt the difference through the pedals. Can hold a wheelie for ages now 😀

Thank you everyone for your help, very pleased with the outcome. Might buy a couple more for spares since they don’t make these in 26 anymore :/

Just need to get this plaster cast off so I can go for a proper run and see how it corners.

philjunior
    Free Member

It’ll be a touch faster but I wouldn’t bother unless racing. I’ve run rr rr conbo through winter on the ht as i ride quite far pre and post club night rides on road/towpath and it’s fine as long as the tread is fresh and pressures are right. (Addix speed)
    Not ideal in the wet on steep sketchy stuff but you can get away with a surprising amount.
    I wouldn’t bother changing out a nn for rock razor as you won’t be so versatile for muddy stuff and racing Ralph would complement it nicely on the rear.

damascus
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother changing out a nn for rock razor as you won’t be so versatile for muddy stuff and racing Ralph would complement it nicely on the rear.

The rock razor is basically a racing Ralph tread with nobby nic edges. It’s a cross between the two. You get the best of both worlds. Fast running on hard surfaces and some grip in the corners. It’s far more versatile than a racing Ralph with a small weigh penalty. It’s my favourite summer tyre.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

I used to run 2.25 Racing Ralph rear 2.35 NN front. Last year swapped to 2.6 Rocket Ron front and rear which I prefer. A little more weight, but more grip (in the dry), faster rolling, more small bump compliance. Not sure I would go back.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic vs Racing Ralph rear. Will I notice a difference ?’ is closed to new replies.