Nobby nic non tubeless anyone setup tubeless ok?

Home Forum Bike Forum Nobby nic non tubeless anyone setup tubeless ok?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nobby nic non tubeless anyone setup tubeless ok?
  • stumpyjag

I don’t know about the non tubeless version but I had the same issue with the tubeless version. Having spent ages trying to get them to seal I just gave up and rode on them, they have never leaked since!!!!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

My non TLR Nics, Non TLR Ralphs and TLR are fine thanks 🙂

TBH, the non TLR’s took some fitting the first time around – leaking from the bead like yours. You need to slosh the Stans around whilst rotating the tire, flip it over an repeat. Theres a video of this technique on the NoTubes website.

Mine took 48hrs to seal. Now they have residue on the bit they pump up straight away. The TLR ready tires were fit, add lube and pump, 1 round of shaking and done – 10 minutes.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I’ve run standard NNs tubeless using Stans sealant. I have a compressor, so getting any tyre to seat to very easy. Some tyres can take a fair bit of sealant to get them air tight, but never found one which won’t work (yet).

bri-72

Think my ‘shoogle technique’ s ok ave got other tyres seated ok. MAybe yet more sans fluid needed. Costing a fortune new tyre maybe easier.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’d say OK, but not brilliant- fairly puncture prone but otherwise fine. Fitted easily, almost like they were tubeless ready (ironically the first year when they were officially TLR seemed to make them harder to fit)

I have non tlr Nobby Nic front and racing Ralph rear Evos on roval control wheels and they hold air fine. Don’t skimp on latex, loads of fairy liquid and then laying the wheel on its side worked for me. And make sure the valves are seated. I put extra tape round mine.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA4nea1UT0w[/video]

Watch that… Get a compressor as it makes it really easy and just slop your way to sealed victory.

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

It can be done, put some extra sealant in there, pump it up to 40psi and go for a ride. Keep topping the tyre up with air and after a couple of weeks it’ll settle down properly. I ran a non-TLR NN tubeless like this for maybe 9 months before it died in an argument with a big pointy rock.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

To the OP

Have you got an “EVO” branded tyre, or “Performance”?

The EVO tyres since 2011 have been designed to be setup in a tubeless setup with sealant and work fine, the performance tyres not so.

bri-72

1 hour of repeated pumping like a crazyman, cursing aplenty and loads of stans wasted, eventually got it to seat and inflate. But still sidewalls and bead have micro leaks. Am sure by morn it’ll be flat. Am I wasting my time?

Folding NN double defence on a Shimano tubeless rim. Seated ok think it’s the carcas is porous main issue.

Premier Icon althepal
    Subscriber

Aye, have the evo NNs. Took a while to set up and a day or two to properly seal. Also using Roval Controls (ELs) and was helluva fiddly to get them on but apart from a leaky valve at the back (sorted by using a cut out tube valve and another bit of tube to trim) they’ve been great..

I tried and failed to inflate a non tubeless ready NN. Gave up, got a tubeless ready one and it goes up with no sealant and a regular track pump.

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

Yes. I’ve used the older evo version and the newer snakeskin quite happily. Pykey inflators help if you’re having problems to get them inflated

bri-72

Cheers all will see what it’s like tnrw throw some more sealant in

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Only tried the tubeless ready, front flew up with no problems at all.

The rear needed a blast of CO2 (not ideal I know) to get seated and probably loses air a tad quicker than the front, lasts over a few rides though so no biggie.

Both stayed up overnight without sealant on XC717’s.

bri-72

Another capful and seems better, suspect some slow leakage may continue tho. May have to invest in proper tubeless ready I guess.

druidh

I had one perfect and one that needed pumped up every couple of days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nobby nic non tubeless anyone setup tubeless ok?’ is closed to new replies.