Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Nobby Nic Evo 2.35 versus Rubber Queen 2.2 Black chili 29er tyre
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Currently using a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent up front on my 29er; it’s great in the dry but sketchy after rain on our local S-E loamy woodland trails.

I’m looking for something that’ll handle changing conditions a little better and i’m considering a Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Pacestar 29 x 2.35 or a Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 Racesport / Black chili.

Both are a good price from German online stores, and the weight difference is only 35 grams in favour of the Nobby Nic; although performance is more important to me.

Youe experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks 😀

scud
    Free Member

I don’t think they do a black chilli Rubber Queen in 29er flavour yet do they? Despite a few ads (CRC) saying that they were.

I found on 26er that they were great tyres if they were black chilli, the standard ones were terrible.

LeeW

Nobby Nic, Bike discount are doing two with tubes for around £61.

Paceman
    Free Member

Black Chili Rubber Queen 29×2.2 are now available.

Bike Discount is the place to go for either from what i can see on Google.

MSP

I would say mountain king would be a more comparable match to nobby nic. Or rubber queen would match to hands dampf.

My preference would be the mountain king for faster rolling with reasonable grip, or hands dampf for more grip but more drag.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve currently got the same dilemma, loving the 2.4 ardent up front but then when the rain comes and everything gets slippy, they are pathetic.

I have the scars too prove it.

I want decent mud shedding but still have volume. Was thinking 2.35 nobby nic because it looks like it will clear and my riding friends use hansdampf and they clog, as does the chunky monkey (Great tyre apart from that).

Was thinking of waiting for a spesh Butcher 29×2.3 but don’t think we can get them yet…

Anything else?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Nobby Nic Evo 29×2.35. Will let you know how it compares to the Maxxis Ardent it’s replacing.

Clobber
    Free Member

Yes please paceman

toons
    Free Member

Anybody bought the Black Chili Rubber Queen 29×2.2 ?

Clobber
    Free Member

Are they any good Paceman?

Paceman
    Free Member

Clobber, i’ve not fitted the Nobby Nic yet, but when true ‘summer’ weather resumes and I need some more grip up front i’ll be giving it a go. Will let you know 8)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Anybody bought the Black Chili Rubber Queen 29×2.2 ?

I would say the chances of actually getting the right tire are low, the normal RQ is often advertised as Black Chilli but isn’t.

The 29er non BC RQ is one of the worst tires I have ever used

ononeorange

I recently bought an ex-demo 29er which came with Nobby Nics and am very unimpressed. They are great in the dry (if you can find any!) but hopeless in anything wet – they just slip sideways really badly and I am always scrabbling for lateral grip.

just my tuppence worth, mind.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Nobby Nic Evo 29×2.35. Will let you know how it compares to the Maxxis Ardent it’s replacing.

😳 I’m embarrassed to say this but despite a valiant effort with metal DH tyre leavers I couldn’t get the 2.35 Nobby Nic onto my Stan’s Crest rim. This is the first time i’ve ever had to admit defeat with tyre fitting?!?! It’s going to have to go in the classifieds if anyone’s interested? (Brand new, boxed, triple compound EVO / Snakebite version)

I bought and fitted a 29×2.3 Specialized Purgatory instead; £10 cheaper than the Nobby Nic and only 40g heavier with much bigger nobbles on the tyre shoulders – something i’ve been after in a 29er tyre for awhile.

First ride out I couldn’t fault it, a slight increase in rolling resistance over the Ardent, but a big increase in grip; the Purgatory just feels solid and dependable if you know what I mean, weight the front tyre, lean the bike and it just seems to hold your line. Conditions were bone dry but dusty and loose in places. I’m running it with a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on the rear.

When the rain arrives i’ll let you know how it goes in the wet, and i’m also off to Wales for a few days next week so will see how it manages rockier terrain.

rickon
    Free Member

And that’s why I won’t buy another Schwalbe tyre. Some seem to fit for some people, others they either don’t fit, or they do then blow off the rim.

I would have told you too buy a Rubber Queen if I had seen the post, loads more grip, very slightly slower rolling than the nic, but it feels so much softer and nicer. Last loads longer, and actually grips wet rock, unlike the pace star compound which dumped me twice on wet rock on the same ride.

I do like the nic, its a fast XC tyre, but its far too weak for hitting proper jumps, or very rocky terrain as the sidewalls are gash (unintentional pun).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic Evo 2.35 versus Rubber Queen 2.2 Black chili 29er tyre’ is closed to new replies.