Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • No UKGE in 2016
  • beiciwr64
    Free Member

After five years of the UKGE I have to announce there will be no sixth year in 2016. The series started off slowly and built up to something massive. It took over my life, morning, noon and night. At the start of 2015, I became homeless with our first born expected in April, this was what can only be described as troubling times for Liz and myself. This is in no way an excuse for my handling of the PR associated with UKGE, it is the hard facts, I am putting my hands up to making a complete mess of the situation. Maybe in the near future people will look back and think it was visionary, only time will tell.
    – See more at: http://www.ukgravityenduro.com/no-gravity-enduro-series-for-2016/#.dpuf

http://www.ukgravityenduro.com/no-gravity-enduro-series-for-2016/ 🙁

legend
    Free Member

Just seen that too. Didn’t agree with a few of his decisions but it’s definitely still a real shame to see it go

dragon
    Free Member

So that’s the World Series round and now UKGE gone for 2016. Is Enduro already past its peak in the UK?

wrecker
    Free Member

Why doesn’t Charlie W run it?
    He’s always come across as diplomatic, reasonable and professional.

kimbers

Gutted, such a shame, absolutely brilliant series.
    Sad times for enduro racing in the UK

edlong
    Free Member

Were they the ones that did that shambolic compulsory insurance thing where they couldn’t tell anyone what cover they needed? I remember thinking at the time they didn’t seem like a good long term prospect if they were that clueless. Apologies if I’m confused and that was someone else..

enigmas
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Just seen that too. Didn’t agree with a few of his decisions but it’s definitely still a real shame to see it go

+1, Didn’t agree with how it was taken in 2015, with the insurance/full face fiasco and the way it was handled putting me off the series, but a shame to see it go. Hoping someone can full the void and keep UKGE going, loosing the national series would be a blow.

STATO
    Free Member

Seems odd one person leaving a team leads to cancellation of the whole lot, howrever…

The UKGE team will be doing possibly two events in 2016, one of these will be a week long bike festival, the other remains a close guarded secret!

Bike festival = charge punters several hundred ££ for a week in a field. Has to be more profitable than individual events?

kimbers

Maybe Charlie will step up in the future, he’s already a big part of it, bit its not a one man job and Steve really was the driving force behind the series, finding venues, digging trails, working with BC etc
    It’d s huge undertaking to organise a race series that went from one end of Britain to the other.

bennyb
    Free Member

Enduro isn’t dead, you only have to look to Ard rock’s success and PMBA, they are both reasonably priced and laid back (no Insurance no full face) . Maybe someone else will take over UKGE (british cycling to step up!) or maybe between PMBA and Ard rock promotors, could make a longer combined series.

iolo
    Free Member

Mike Marsden always puts on a good show.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume anyone could pop up and become the “National” series if they wanted to?

kimbers

Hopefully someone will, take an awful lot to get a series as epic as ukge

I know Steve took a lot of the stuff said on here and elsewhere, about the insurance and ff rules personally , and hes held up his hands and said it was his fault. With a new baby I suppose his perspective has changed, life’s too short to sit around taking crap off keyboard warriors

mikewsmith
    Free Member

perhaps Kimbers, from some I spoke to when I was back in the UK epic is apt… I hope those waiting for refunds get theirs.

Maybe at this point it needs to get it’s roots sorted, and work out where it’s going.

mrhoppy

That’s a great shame. They’ve made some dumb decisions this year and backed those up with some of the most awful PR imaginable, but the events themselves tended to be well received and even if it was a bit self proclaimed it was seen as the national series.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Best wishes to Steve Parr and his family- he’s a good guy and MTB through and through

as for enduro racing in the uk – its in rude health given its popularity and demand for places. There’s a need for a premier national race series to rival the BDS and feed the world stage. If I was a race organiser with a tried and tested timing system and time on my hands I’d be all over this as the goodwill is there.

Northwind

TBH it explains a lot- hope this works out for him, sounds like it’s the sensible move. These things aren’t one man shows but they do tend to depend on one or two maniacs to make them happen at all, especially at the start, that’s got to weigh heavy at the best of times.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Seemed fairly inevitable when you looked at how the events were run, the PR, the bizarre demands they had of competitors and their extortionate pricing. Hopefully someone with a bit more skill at organising events and more willing to admit they’re wrong sometimes (or just not make mistakes in the first place) will put on a similar series.

deviant
    Free Member

with a tried and tested timing system and time on my hands I’d be all over this as the goodwill is there.

Is it?!…about half the comments on any UKGE thread were along the lines of “how much?…I’m not paying that to ride the same trails I can ride for free the weekend after!”…

There seemed to be a misconception that Steve and the UKGE lot were getting rich off the back of ‘good willed’ mountain bikers despite Scottfitz of QECP and other organisers standing up and saying how expensive events are and how little money is made.

…..even if he was making good money (but the fact he lost his house suggests not) why shouldn’t the man pushing the National Series make a living from it?!

MTBers are a funny lot, think nothing of dropping a few thousand on a bike, £500 on new Pikes, £30-50 for a tyre, £200 for a dropper post….they now have their Enduro bike…but balk at being asked to pay for entry to an event to race like minded individuals on similar bikes.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near trying to organise a series and those that do have my utmost respect, most people I’ve met at events have been excellent fun, friendly, helpful etc but the keyboard warrior mentality must get tiring and leave organisers wondering why they bother.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Maybe Charlie will step up in the future, he’s already a big part of it, bit its not a one man job and Steve really was the driving force behind the series, finding venues, digging trails, working with BC etc

Charlie’s growing potatoes next year

NEW RACE FORMAT FOR 2016…MASH UP!
    Saturday and Sunday Races to suit your timetable
    3 stages for each round
    Race all 3 stages as many times as you want, your best time from each stage counts for the overall results
    Live Transponder timing to so you can check your progress after each run
    Each stage will be open for 3 hours
    Best 3 stage times win
    Prize for fastest time on each stage
    No insurance or full face helmets required but recommended
    Entry for round 1 will go live on January the 4th £45 + £1.50 booking fee

Welsh Gravity Enduro MASH UP! 2016 Dates

edlong
    Free Member

MTBers are a funny lot, think nothing of dropping a few thousand on a bike, £500 on new Pikes, £30-50 for a tyre, £200 for a dropper post…

Err, is it possible you might be over generalising a bit?

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’m guessing that a majority of those that were complaining on threads about the price/insurance/FF rule had no idea of the scale of the events, the severity of some of the stages (hence the need for more rigorous insurance stipulations), and the challenges in making unique stages for that weekend. It’s clear that some aspects of the series could have been better but I’m disappointed by the attitude of some on here who are more than ready to stick the boot in.

Sounds like SP has had one hell of a year. I congratulate him on what he and the team have achieved and wish them well for the future.

larkim
    Free Member

Is there a list of the organisations that offer Enduro in the UK (for the remainder of this year plus next)?

I’ve found the minienduro.tv site, Ard rock and Welsh Gravity. Are there others?

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ve experienced this in the past as the Secretary of an MTB Club and several other incarnations going back over the years.

These things take off due to the passion and enthusiasm of a select few. These people do their best to make it happen and when it’s successful lots of other people are more than happy to take advantage and join in – but not help. Then when things grow to a point where the individual is not sufficient resource and insurance gets involved (read liability) the same people who took advantage sit around criticising and doing nothing to help. And then even complaining the people who gave them their pleasure are to blame somehow!!

Good luck to SP, thanks to him for all his efforts. If people want the UKGE to continue – step up and do something yourself.

PS. I’ve never set a tyre anywhere near a UKGE or other event – way too soft for that hard stuff.

legend
    Free Member

oldejeans – Member

I’m guessing that a majority of those that were complaining on threads about the price/insurance/FF rule had no idea of the scale of the events, the severity of some of the stages (hence the need for more rigorous insurance stipulations), and the challenges in making unique stages for that weekend. It’s clear that some aspects of the series could have been better but I’m disappointed by the attitude of some on here who are more than ready to stick the boot in.

You’d be guessing wrong. Many of those riders already ride at the venues away from race day and/or are well aware of what the terrain at places like Hamsterley is like. Many of those same riders had also ridden UKGE rounds previously.

There was never a ‘need’ for insurance, it didn’t help the organiser and it barely helped the rider other than to give them some money to blow at CRC while they were healing.

As above, still didn’t want to see the series disappear but Steve even admits in the statement that things were not handled well

chris_db – Member
    insurance gets involved (read liability)

The UKGE insurance debacle had nothing to do with liability

STATO
    Free Member

the severity of some of the stages (hence the need for more rigorous insurance stipulations)

That was the problem, severity was not the basis for the personal insurance. The minimum insurance they required you to take out had negligible benefit.

dragon
    Free Member

End of the day UKGE rounds are subject to the same economic forces as any product, if it’s too expensive then people won’t go.

Also if you need customers then annoying them and not listening is never going to end well unfortunately.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good luck to SP, thanks to him for all his efforts. If people want the UKGE to continue – step up and do something yourself.

Yep thanks for some fun races if you’re reading this Steve. Sometimes its hard to know when to call it a day with things – but it’s usually obvious when you actually make the leap. Hope it feels that way to you.

I know there were efforts to get a UK Enduro federation going. Wonder if that’s the way forward for a national series? Each promoter putting up their best race as a round for it? Bit like the EWS.

Maybe not, but it’s a thought.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Oz Marathon series runs the same way, people run their event and run it well but lift each of their events up into a national series.

Less stress of running a series and more people working for events.

I was going to enter Ae when I was back but when 4 people said don’t bother then I decided not to bother. The other events get great feedback so maybe something is going right there.

Northwind

I’ve slagged Steve and UKGE as much as anyone tbh but is this really the time? Or for that matter snidey comments about “keyboard warriors” etc. It’s not been perfect but it’s still been a huge positive for the UK scene, and that wouldn’t have happened without Steve (and others o’course). So cheers feller.

dragon
    Free Member

All national series I’ve been involved with have been based on people running their own events within an overall framework.

The only issue with this is that the events can vary quite a bit, see the abuse that the No Fuss guys got for the Scottish Enduro held at Glenlivet.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s obvious to most people that Steve invested huge amounts of emotional energy into UKGE, that has to be applauded.

the sub-text (maybe just on this thread) seems to be ‘UKGE is dead!’, fwiw i reckon it’s a bit early to announce the demise just yet.

Maybe a quiet year wouldn’t be a bad thing – a bit like Glasto’. But maybe without SP driving the bus next time.

kimbers

I was going to enter Ae when I was back but when 4 people said don’t bother then I decided not to bother.

you missed out, Ae was excellent, tough 40k loop and a really good mix of off piste and DH tracks

All national series I’ve been involved with have been based on people running their own events within an overall framework.
    The only issue with this is that the events can vary quite a bit, see the abuse that the No Fuss guys got for the Scottish Enduro held at Glenlivet.

I think its an option and a good way to keep a national series going, it works well but it is tough to get right, loads of people complaining about tweedloves inclusion of stage 6 at EWS this year (including chris ball!)
    The stages at UKGE this season have all been consistently excellent (well maybe not triscombe as last minute FC work meant 2 tracks had to be axed)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough but having to deal with proving my insurance was good enough and bringing the FF was too much hassle. The points were about attitudes and organisations, that and people I spoke to were waiting for refunds and getting soundly ignored, cancellations were not being replied to and stuff like that. In contrast everyone recommended the PMBA events without hesitation.

kimbers

but having to deal with proving my insurance was good enough and bringing the FF was too much hassle.

so infact you were never going to enter at all?

orena45

A big shame there won’t be UKGE next year. Have done all races this year and despite not getting the results I’ve wanted, I’ve had a really good time so far this year overall.

I really hope there is some sort of national series next year, whether it’s a standalone one or separate races under a ‘national’ banner…we can’t not have a national series in this country…otherwise Welshies – expect to be inundated in your series!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I stuck myself on the waiting list for King & Queen and was going to enter the Ae round but asked mates who raced this year and last first. Got enough of a response. Not sure what your going to do next year Kimbers as official STW PR man for the series may be redundant 😉

Being serious if things are not working, work out why. Fix the problem and move on. If you can’t work out the problem you shouldn’t be running it.

I see and understand that Parr had some issues but when you are taking money as a pro you need to be a pro. I know a lot of race orgnaisers here, just spoken to the guys doing the Gravity enduro here on some stuff around safety and neck braces, very responsive and understand.

oldejeans
    Free Member

hey legend – do you know them all personally?

and please correct me as to why they thought insurance was necessary.

kimbers

im gonna set up my own racing PR consultancy, with the success ive had supporting ukge….oh

anyway, fortunately Steves still running a couple of events next year, Im really hoping the success of those will see him back for a new series in 2017

I dont just wave ukge’s flag coz i have a mancrush on Parr, I do it because i think its the best race series in the country, I really look forward to every round; 3 days riding and racing in some of the best locations in the UK , the smaller races like PMBAs and QECPs might be more relaxed and more like a mates race, but the only other races in the UK Ive done that come close to being as consistently good as ukge are the tweedlove ones, not ridden any SES ones but hear they are equally good.

UKGE and steve handled the insurance/ff thing poorly, fortunately it wasnt enough to put me off, this year has been the best season yet; the stages have been more challenging and the timing etc better than ever before, its just a shame that numbers were down, <20 quid a year for insurance and a new helmet are a drop in the ocean compared to the price of an enduro bike and all the gear
    and Im certainly no riding god, regularly finish at the back but its challenging and enjoyable

the UK enduro race scene will be a lot worse off next year, it sucks for the teams too, wonder what theyll do, some really fast youths race the seires!

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

fortunately you can still enter what could be the last ever UKGE in the Dyfi valley in a couple of weeks
    its gonna be a tough round but the trails are excellent

it will be epic, course is amazing

http://www.moredirt.com/event/949

you will need insurance too, cheapest is cycleplan http://www.cycleplan.co.uk ,20 quid

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

STATO
    Free Member

please correct me as to why they thought insurance was necessary.

UKGE said it was to ensure riders could cover themselves in event of an injury so they were not out of pocket if off work. Except the minimum required by them didnt provide that, it gave you a small amount of cash if you broke a bone (and only if it broke, sprains, poked out your eye etc. got nothing).

Many reasons were theorised by riders, a lot was made of the connection between the promotion of the company that provided the organisers insurance and also the fact there was a connection with one of the members of the organising team and said insurance company. Of course you could use other insurance as kimbers has directed so it was kind of moot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘No UKGE in 2016’ is closed to new replies.