No tyre levers on an XT rim?

Home Forum Bike Forum No tyre levers on an XT rim?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • No tyre levers on an XT rim?
  • rewski

UST tyres should pop out the bead and be forced off by hand, saying that I use pedros on mine.

jfletch

Its so you don’t damage the tublesslessness. It should be fine with plastic levers though and some UST tyres are bloody tight on the rims.

steve777

Thanks.

I was going to use normal (tubed) tyres though. Am I right in thinking that for these I’m probably going to have to use levers, however I might run the risk of damaging them for any future tubeless use? But, if I’m careful I hopefully won’t.

rewski

There’s not a huge amount of room for tubes, especially near the valve, I do it in emergencies but running tubeless is what they’re designed for.

Mister P

I run normal folding tyres as tubeless on XT wheels. Just add a good dollop of Stans.

exupmonkey

I’ve used plastic levers on my XT rims many times without any issues although I did manage to break two of them fitting a continental tubeless, there was no way I was getting it on without the levers!

patriotpro

NO that’s telling you not to eat a lemon with a craft knife.

I’ve not used tyre levers in years.

1) get the bead right in the center of the rim all the way around. The well in the center is ized to give enough slack to get the bead over the rim.
    2) start opposite the valve and work symetricaly towards it, the valve stops the tyre sitting in the well.

Never found a tyre/rim combination that didn’t work, occasionaly to the supprise of people who were convinced it wasn’t do-able! It’s almost like someone’s designed them to work togther :p

steve777

Hi,

I’m probably being very stupid, but my new shimano XT (M785) wheels came with a yellow card that appears to be informing me that I shouldn’t use tyre levers:

Surely this can’t be right?

Thanks,
    Steve

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

I’ve used plastic levers on my XT rims many times without any issues although I did manage to break two of them fitting a continental tubeless, there was no way I was getting it on without the levers!

Plastics levers many times, couple levers broken, rims seen fine, Conti UST tyres – exactly my experience too!

Rockhopper

I carry tyre levers but I can’t remember the last time i used them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘No tyre levers on an XT rim?’ is closed to new replies.