Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 259 total)
  • No time to pee (Bond spoilers)
  • argee

Yeah, but they all rebooted after failure, Superman didn’t have much to improve on, Batman certainly didn’t have to do much to improve on the last outing, Spiderman is just weird with the reboots, but the last one was more for the MCU rather than rebooting spiderman.

Even this Bond iteration didn’t have to do a huge amount to beat Die another day, it had gone silly and a reboot had to happen after that last outing, thankfully it worked, but the reality is whoever comes in now, both actor and director will have to face being put up against Daniel Craig and a lot of fond memories of this series of films, as they say, it’ll be a hard act to follow.

muddyground
    Free Member

Watched it last night. I am with the Times review, it was pants. It was just dull. I kept leaving and going for little walks. Nothing really happened, and the various plot lines were obvious and full of holes. Bond also had a crap dress sense – massive cotton peasant / Fred Dibnah jackets. Craig obv hated the role, that was clear.

zilog6128

Not a fan of the Craig films at all, they’ve all been poor IMO except CR which was ok. I actually think he’s been a good Bond, just the films have been messy & let him down. Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed this one, despite the epic length it didn’t drag for me at all! Felt more like a “proper” bond… they even stormed the baddies island lair at the end 😀 If you squint, old man Craig could almost be Roger Moore 😂

The plot is absolute bobbins though and makes no sense. Rami Malek was wasted on a poor character with no real development or motivation. It kind of reminded me of the new Star Wars trilogy (also terribly written) where there’s a bad guy controlling everything in the background right through the story-arc, only just at the end they do away with him and bring someone else in?!

I’d avoided all spoilers but read up a bit afterwards… agree with the theory that they quickly jettisoned an organic virus in favour of nanobots due to COVID! What robot factory involves swirling around in water?! Very clunky & didn’t help with the nonsensical plot! The film also looked very dated with 2019 plates on the cars 😀 (also didn’t he realise all was not lost as he could’ve just Zoomed with his mrs/kid?)

Bond dying at the end was just a cheap attempt to stir up a bit of emotion (apparently successfully!) but is completely meaningless because of course he’ll be back in one form or another for the next film. Bet they regret letting go of Danny Boyle now, I’m sure he could’ve crafted a better end to the series than that!

Regardless I did enjoy it as a brainless blockbuster and look forward to watching it again when it comes on telly!

nickc

I kept leaving and going for little walks.

Regardless of whether you enjoyed the film or not, I can’t imagine this behavior endeared you to the rest of the audience. What a selfish thing to do.

bombjack
    Free Member

As a massive Bond mark this one left me feeling totally confused.
    There was so much to love – massive sets (just like Spy who loved me) a great soundtrack, a love letter to OHMSS (albeit a poorly written, scrawled on the back of a fag packet one), some humour, some great throwbacks to previous films in the Delectado cigar and Robert Brown picture in MI6, a beautiful DBS, and a “proper” megalomaniac villain.
    On the other hand they managed to F it all up by killing off Blofeld, having Nanobots (the same nanobots that rebuilt Red Dwarf?) shoe horned in as a “this film is definitely not about a pandemic from plants like OHMSS / Moonraker” and then going completely off-piste by killing off Craig in some Marvel esque Ironman style dramatic finale.
    I still dont quite know what to make of it. The only thing I’m sure of is that I’m slightly in love with Ana De Armas.
    I appreciate that times have changed, that you cant really make a From Russia with Love, or Man with the Golden gun anymore, but this one defo left me feeling a bit cold. Hopefully the next one can be a fun, slightly campy romp without too much naval gazing and bollocks about his dad / brother / girl friend / house he grew up in etc.
    Oh, and no more **** nanobots. You could almost hear Q groan as he had to explain the plot.

zilog6128

You could almost hear Q groan as he had to explain the plot.

yup. $300M spent on the film, almost 2 years for doing reshoots/tweaks, and that is the best they come up with? “There is no way to get rid of these things, and despite the fact I spent all day every day coming up with whizzy technical innovations, I am 100% sure there will never be a way in the future either 🤣 Oh that thing on your wrist which we went to great pains to explain is very effective at disrupting electrical systems – indeed, you literally just used it very successfully – no, forget that.” 😂😂😂

muddyground
    Free Member

Cheers Nick, for the insight into your superior social skills. Point noted. I will seek out all the others who were far more mobile than me on the night, and shall have a word with the cinema to close the bar during a screening so as to discourage this sort of frankly normal public behaviour!

Oh gosh! The neighbouring cinema brings actual meals to the seats during a screening! Could you deal with them please, as I am busy castigating 30 recalcitrant crisp eaters here!

Thank you for taking the time to put me right.

DickBarton

Daniel Craig is a co-producer in this…has he been that involved with the others as well?

I enjoyed it but not sure the ending was the right one…

His fancy watch managed to disabled a whole level of security systems without affecting earpieces, took out a baddie and still didn’t damage the earpiece…

If that is all I’m complaining about then the disengage-brain-and-enjoy part of the film clearly worked on me.

No idea what they’ll do next but this could be the last Bond film I watch as a Bond fan as anything else isn’t going to be quite right.

DickBarton

Looks like he also did some production stuff on Spectre as well…

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Craig. What a tripe of a movie. The living daylights was better.

IHN

Right, just back from the cinema.

this one defo left me feeling a bit cold. Hopefully the next one can be a fun, slightly campy romp without too much naval gazing and bollocks about his dad / brother / girl friend / house he grew up in etc.

This.

Why do they have to be soooo effing serious and self-referential, and indeed self-reverential?

I like serious films.

I like stupid films.

Bond films are stupid films. Stop trying to make them something they’re not.

scaredypants

Enjoyed it in a ^ IHN sort of way (“I like stupid films”) but it was pretty weak overall – villain needed a much better/fuller back story

The watch vs bots thing so obviously “needed” to happen as his big “escape” but then the bots was daft anyway (as said, I bet they’re right with the virus theory)

Seemed to be trying to embed a few potential new threads for future films, like the lass in Cuba and the new 00whatever as well as a massive power vaccuum in the area of world-domination supervillains. No way in hell that ol’ Blofeld doesn’t have a kid somewhere, too.

argee

Yeah, also always wonder why if there’s potentially 9, maybe even 10 00’s, why is it only one being used on what is a potentially world changing plot, i know in the past they had some killed off as a premise to the plot, or to kill off Sean Bean again, but you never see more than 2 of them, where’s 000 or 001 when you need them!

As for the serious stuff, the whole start was a bit weird, big action stuff, then Bond binning his girl because a bad guy made an accusation, honestly, everyone seems to know where Bond is for the rest of the film, but he thinks nobody would find him running around in Greece in a classic Aston Martin whilst wandering around place in full view of everyone, that was really part of the plot?!

imn

Thought it was an entertaining and engaging enough that it didn’t drag, and had some lovely scenery and references. However, the moment you start to think about the plot it is even holier than normal. On the topic of succession, I haven’t seen anyone else suggest James Bond Jr – given Mathilde popped up, why not a new sproglet with Madeline to give future options as well as reboots?

ChrisL

argee Full Member
    Yeah, also always wonder why if there’s potentially 9, maybe even 10 00’s, why is it only one being used on what is a potentially world changing plot, i know in the past they had some killed off as a premise to the plot, or to kill off Sean Bean again, but you never see more than 2 of them, where’s 000 or 001 when you need them!

Maybe it’s like Seal Team Six, MI6 gave Bond the codename 007 in order to make villains worry that there’s at least 7 of these psychopaths on the UK’s payroll.

DickBarton

Suspect there are more but the stories Fleming wrote were just about the adventures and escapades of 1 of them…
    Maybe this will be part of the reboot franchise move-to-marvel type thing…the new bond films will be about others.
    Now they have killed him anyone else has no James Bond back story unless they now tell stories about the smaller stuff happening in between the bigger bits of all the other films. With no back story they can now do nonsense stories about others and tag them as a Bond movie.

richardkennerley

leffeboy

Thought it was ok but not much more than that.  Didn’t feel long though.  I suspect Moneypenny would make a great new 007

edhornby

I quite enjoyed it, yeah the nanobots thing was poor but they are just a McGuffin… Blofeld could easily be resurrected as this has happened so many times before (either with Cristoph Waltz who I think is really good, or someone else). The old cars were great to see and I thought it was a decent script, better than some of the Craig era ones.

It wouldn’t be too hard to write the replacement bond in, could just start wherever they wanted and just ignore that another actor has played it, other Bonds have had no use of a lot of backstory. Could do one or two with a woman Bond just because they could, no reason not to chop and change the lead more regularly.

IdleJon

Bond films are stupid films. Stop trying to make them something they’re not.

That’s the problem for me. If they want to make a serious film, it needs to be logical and not full of loopholey crap that a 5 year old could see through. Nobody ever watches something like Blues Brothers and complains about it being full of loopholes, because it is meant to be ridiculous. (OMG, the nun can levitate, why can’t she sort her own funding out?) But. for example, as soon as you start having long emotional scenes about characters that nobody cares about – I’m thinking Felix here – you lose half your audience.

When did Daniel Craig lose the ability to act? He was supposed to be a proper actor, iirc, but his one emotion is ‘impassive’. Even Roger Moore could do more than one expression. And without getting too personal, Craig has the body of a 50 year old dad, not a coiled spring super-spy. His gut was sticking out in one scene. Did he lose his corset?

IHN

As ever, the Screen Rant pitch is bang on the money 🙂

argee

As Idlejon says, they’ve made this reboot of Bond all interlinked, so it’s no longer the old Bond movies that stand alone, these are meant to flow and make sense, which this last one didn’t really do that well.

So many gripes, but for me, Spectre getting wiped out at one party in one moment, we’ve just heard how they were so shady they just appeared out of nowhere and nobody knew how they did it, who they were and what they were up to, but that’s how this Bond series tied up the Spectre thing, it was funny though, but i don’t think it was meant to be ;o)

IdleJon

Spectre …………., we’ve just heard how they were so shady they just appeared out of nowhere and nobody knew how they did it, who they were and what they were up to

Hey guys, let’s have a party somewhere really classy and glitzy, because that’s the type of organisation we are! Wooooo..

boltonjon

Well, i thought it was great fun, as Bond films generally are

Way better than Spectre, but i suppose this one makes Spectre a bit better as its tee’d this film up nicely

If your complaining that its another ‘typical Bond movie which doesn’t add anything blah blah blah’ then i think you’re a bit daft going to see the 25th installment of the most formulative movie series ever….

Pretty sad at the end, but I welled up more when they killed M in Skyfall

They’ll reboot it and i’ll be one of the first to see them and i’ll continue to watch the re-runs at Xmas or Sunday afternoon hangovers going forward

Also, i even managed to avoid the need for a pee, whilst drinking wine – not bad for a 45 year old!

mrmoofo

Wish I had read this before I went to see it last night.
    I am hard at hearing – not massively so – but the dialogue track was absolutely rubbish. Both Malek and Bond’s love interest bubbled all the way though the film. so much so that I had no idea what was going on.
    Malek also seems to have left the false teeth in from the Queen movie – and speaks without this top lip moving at all.

From what I good fathom out it was a lot of car chases and bangs and crashes linked to gather by a story which had no plot. And as many have mentioned here – what was the end game / why was he doing it.

desperatebicycle

Saw this, slightly against my will today, it’s pretty rubbish all told.
    2 things in particular just left me confused – 1 the machine guns: how come there are so many machine gun users who can’t shoot a static target? Time and again brrrrrbangbrrrr and Bond turns and shoots them. It’s **** stupid after the 10th time, but after the 50th time, it’s like why can’t they think of something else to fill the action/fights with? Just keep on doing the old machine gun miss, Bond turns and kills the gunner. Boring as shite.
    and 2, the script. It was awful, the “jokes” fell flat nearly every single time “you sound like you’re in a rugby scrum” What?! and the “conversations” were just bizarre. Bond: “What is this?” Madeleine: “You don’t know what this is”. Just 2 that particularly jarred.
    So bored by the end of a very poor film.

Rich_s

Just got back from it. We both enjoyed it and it tied up the reboot well I think. Got a bit dusty at the end too, very predictable but very well done.

Agree with the points above about the nanobots being all a bit shite, but the other bits in the film that left me a bit meh were the various landrover crashes (cgi surely – not the crashes, more the jumps) and HMS Daring, being a destroyer, isn’t packing a load of vertical launched cruise missiles cum icbm warhead things. That look like big fireworks.

I thought the many sequences where bond was attacking the baddies were very well shot (in the forest and climbing up to the control room). Many seemed to have been filmed in one big take too.

Ana de Armas. Hubba and indeed bubba.

revs1972
    Free Member

(cgi surely – not the crashes, more the jumps)

Definitely real, I know this as I supplied the ramps they used to get airborne 😉

TomB

Enjoyed it, good family evening out. Favourite bit was when Q opened one of his high tech drawers to reveal his tea set- laughed out loud.

franksinatra

I am hard at hearing – not massively so – but the dialogue track was absolutely rubbish. Both Malek and Bond’s love interest bubbled all the way though the film. so much so that I had no idea what was going on.

I’m glad you said that, I found a lot of the speech very muffled.

timmys

Definitely real, I know this as I supplied the ramps they used to get airborne 😉

Wow, I too had assumed the jumps were CGI assisted seeing how far they got the hideously overweight w-anchor tractors to fly. I would presume they would have also had to strengthen them to take the landing which would have added to the weight further.

revs1972
    Free Member

Wow, I too had assumed the jumps were CGI assisted seeing how far they got the hideously overweight w-anchor tractors to fly. I would presume they would have also had to strengthen them to take the landing which would have added to the weight further.

You’ll see the ramps here

Thing is I think LR shot themselves in the foot a bit. If I wanted a vehicle to evade pursuers then Id save my money and go for an old Toyota Landcrusier from the last Century 😉

Rich_s

Definitely real, I know this as I supplied the ramps they used to get airborne

I stand corrected! I’m still gonna wonder whether there was some cgi work done behind the defenders when they dropped into the riverbank. All looked a bit too clean somehow. Maybe a dodgy download might be obtained to help me nerd this out.

zilog6128

Definitely real, I know this as I supplied the ramps they used to get airborne

yeah, there was a thread on here a while back, this scene is basically an advert for the new Defender, which is a bit lame!

Also with the destroyer (HMS Dragon apparently, didn’t notice whether the dragon graphics on it are visible during the film though!), again there was involvement from the RN so I assume that wasn’t CGI, don’t know about the missile launch specifically – there are missiles there but yeah they are not Cruise missiles or anything.
    EDIT: I googled it! –

An MOD spokesperson, however, told Forces News that “no weapons were fired during the filming”, suggesting that Dragon’s firing scenes were created using CGI special effects.

In reality, missiles fired from Dragon’s Sea Viper weapon system used on board these warships can blow a moving target out of the sky from more than 70 miles away.

alanw2007

Finally went to see it at the local UGC. Enjoyed the story and the stunts…but I have to say…the movie was so dark and gloomy (literally). Every scene seemed to be dimly lit and/or colourless; even the opening chase scenes in sunny Italy looked bleached and washed-out. Other scenes had characters in near darkness. Obviously JB does not have to look like a mid-90s MTB race but even so, it detracted from the experience.

Rich_s

That’s the point about the ship; it’s an air defence vessel with limited ground/anti ship attack capabilities. Last time one they attacked something onshore I think they used the main gun. (HMS Liverpool, Libya).

StirlingCrispin

I am hard at hearing – not massively so – but the dialogue track was absolutely rubbish. Both Malek and Bond’s love interest bubbled all the way though the film. so much so that I had no idea what was going on. I’m glad you said that, I found a lot of the speech very muffled.

Thump – who wears hearing aids – said exactly the same thing.
    Again: He particularly struggled with Freddy Mercury’s dialogue.

Next time I’ll book the captioned showing.

ayjaydoubleyou

I thought the whole point was that he’d never have been able to see Madeleine and Mathilde again due to being infected with the nanobots that would kill them so he effectively chose his own death.

Not just that he cant see them again, he cant touch anyone, as they will pass it on and have the Madeleine killing we-cant-use-the-word-virus circulating the globe.

In a few years will we get a directors cut where they use the word virus?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not just that he cant see them again, he cant touch anyone, as they will pass it on and have the Madeleine killing we-cant-use-the-word-virus circulating the globe.

Just how many nanobots did Bond absorb? For it get all the way around the globe, aren’t we talking about homeopathic levels of potency?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 259 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.