Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 384 total)
  • No such thing as a free school lunch…
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’ve just had the same lunch as my son (packed lunch). Come to think of it though, why don’t I get cherry tomatos in my lunch box 😕

redpanda
    Free Member

I’m hungry

Be honest: it was the thought of mini naans, wasn’t it?

Deviant.

LHS
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

Kids getting a better standard of food.

Some control over what they eat so the afternoons aren’t interrupted by sugar fuelled mayhem or lethargy brought about by eating too little.

Educating them about a balanced diet.

…and I’m going to ne £1600 better off!

johndoh
    Free Member

Because they are unhealthy, they are a processed food coming from the left over bits from the animal, usually containing a high level of fat.

Ahh I see. So you are not averse to them eating sausages per se, you are just averse to the idea of them eating what you assume the contents of a sausage to be?

lodious
    Free Member

I like this thread

Can’t say I do…Pg1 was a bit of a low watermark even for STW.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your link recommends 20 grams of sausages per day LHS.

Are your children getting their recommended daily 20 grams of sausages ?

I suspect not.

grum
    Free Member

From your link LHS:

A spokesperson said: “People who eat a lot of red and processed meat should consider cutting down.”

However a little bit of meat, even processed meat, had health benefits in the study.

Ursula Arens from the British Dietetic Association told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that putting fresh meat through a mincer did not make it processed meat.

“Something has been done to it to extend its shelf life, or to change its taste, or to make it more palatable in some way… and this could be a traditional process like curing or salting.”

She said even good quality ham or sausages were still classed as processed meat, while homemade burgers using fresh meat were not.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And as for the tag at the top of the page, I discovered this morning that I agree with a Tory minister, how do you think I feel about that ?

LHS
    Free Member

if everyone in the study consumed no more than 20g of processed meat a day then 3% of the premature deaths could have been prevented.

They didn’t quote a minimum consumption.

I guess i shouldn’t mention the fact that i don’t let them drink cows milk either.

Harry_the_Spider

Not even from friendly cows?

LHS
    Free Member

Not even from friendly cows?

There was once a nice russian cow which smiled at them nicely, they had a glass of that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who’s milk are they allowed to drink then ?

Harry_the_Spider

Wolf milk.

LHS
    Free Member

Nuts!

yunki
    Free Member

LHS is my little sister and I claim my non-monetary lets scheme vouchers to be redeemed for (organic) goods or services

chewkw
    Free Member

Topic closed.

Topic Closed.

You lot are chubby …

Stop eating children’s share.

5, 4, 3 …

😆

ransos
    Free Member

^ that looks like a really good menu. I wish school meals were of that standard when I was a kid.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah it looks broadly similar to our kids’ menu too – although theirs is on a three-week cycle.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not much wrong with decent quality sausages in moderation. Saturated fat in itself is not bad for you.

binners

OI! Don’t be coming on here contradicting peoples lazy, ill-founded (but righteously and loftily indignant) assumptions with your actual evidence based nonsense

I’ve spotted a sausage on that menu! Its evil, I tell you. EVIL!!!!

*phones social services*

LHS
    Free Member

:chubby:

FuzzyWuzzy

As long as the meals have to meet decent standards on nutrition I guess I can live with it, I still don’t see a valid argument for why I’m supporting other people’s kids if they can afford to themselves. If I wanted to pay for walking talking money-pits I’d make some myself.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d say wheat is likely to be worse for you. Especially white. No-one compains about sandwiches though do they?

LHS
    Free Member

Saturated fat in itself is not bad for you

You’re right, apart from the links between it and:

Heart Disease
    Colorectal cancer
    Ovarian Cancer
    Prostate Cancer
    Reduced bone density

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FW – extend your argument further, are you happy to pay to educate other peoples’ kids if they can afford to pay for it (look at the Merc and BMWs and new FS29ers in the car park?). Or should all public services be means tested???

Are you against the concept of universal benefits?

Coyote
    Free Member

If I wanted to pay for walking talking money-pits I’d make some myself.

🙄 sigh…

LHS
    Free Member

I’d say wheat is likely to be worse for you

It depends on what form you eat it in. Getting hold of Wheat in high quality form is getting more and more difficult. White bread is very bad, not only as it is processed and loses 60% of the health benefits during the process, but more and more it has additives (including sugar).

100% whole wheat is really good for you though. Great source of Fibre, Managanese and Magnesium – good for type 2 diabetes.

binners

LHS – Everything gives you cancer. And heart disease. Then a new survey says it doesn’t, then its actually good for you, then its not again, then it gives you cancer again. Repeat…..

Anyway… I’m intrigued now. By your righteous disapproval of the menus illustrated (which seem fine to me). So… if you were drawing up a menu of a cooked meal, for a week, of school lunches, what would be on it. Go on… humour me….

binners

And I’ve got a suspicion as to your real identity. Are you…..

? 😀

grum
    Free Member

As long as the meals have to meet decent standards on nutrition I guess I can live with it, I still don’t see a valid argument for why I’m supporting other people’s kids if they can afford to themselves. If I wanted to pay for walking talking money-pits I’d make some myself.

As one of STWs leading childless offspring-haters (apparently), I don’t have a problem with paying for childrens’ education and if feeding them properly helps then that’s a good idea IMO.

LHS
    Free Member

No thanks.

Sui
    Free Member

NO SAUSAGES **** that… My kids love em, nice big fat ones from the butchers down the road, i even have them made specially sometimes… nom nom nom… Though there diet is a very typical italian one as well.

No matter how much bad stuff i hear about sausages, im not stopping..

On the point of School pack lunches, it’s incredible what you’r not allowed to take in, nothing processed, no nuts, no sugary foods, no smoothies (but they are allowed juice – go figure)> they are allowed petit filous things, but not natural yougart type (still don’t undersatnd that one).

molgrips
    Free Member

Some links for you to debunk, LHS

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/#axzz2fFbokKIn
    http://www.menshealth.com/health/saturated-fat
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/start-spreading-the-news–saturated-fat-is-not-so-bad-says-study-8482321.html

100% whole wheat is really good for you though. Great source of Fibre, Managanese and Magnesium – good for type 2 diabetes.

Yep, great soure of gluten too.

oliwb
    Free Member

Why are so many people opposed to the:

“if you can’t afford to feed kids you shouldn’t have them”

I’ve heard all the arguments…personally I’d like to think that there would be some sort of fall back should my family hit hard times in the future, but I wouldn’t dream of having kids (intentionally) if I couldn’t afford them – obviously it’s always a struggle to start with, but I think it irresponsible to expect strangers to financially support your decisions.

Producing offspring isn’t and shouldn’t be a basic human right.

binners

Come on LHS… just give us one example of a lunch you could/would cook for a group of children..

grum
    Free Member

Why are so many people opposed to the:

“if you can’t afford to feed kids you shouldn’t have them”

It’s not the kids fault though is it. Seeing as these kids exist, let’s feed them properly.

irelanst
    Free Member

but I think it irresponsible to expect strangers to financially support your decisions.

You go mountain biking, sometimes in the mountains? If you had an off and needed a medivac would you be happy to personally pay for the helicopter and medics or would you be happy for strangers to financially support your decisions?

warton
    Free Member

If you had an off and needed a medivac would you be happy to personally pay for the helicopter and medics or would you be happy for strangers to financially support your decisions?

As a taxpayer, I don’t want to take the risk he may not pay, let him make his own way back.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘No such thing as a free school lunch…’ is closed to new replies.