Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 384 total)
  • No such thing as a free school lunch…
  • dragon
    Free Member

Ernie, the problem is the pilot study showed no increase in better eating or health benefits, bar a reduction in eating crisps and fruit.

– Despite the changes in lunchtime food consumption, the universal pilot had few significant impacts on the reported overall consumption of different types of food

– The extended entitlement pilot had little impact on children’s diet and eating habits.

2tyred

The quality of school food is far more rigourously regulated than anything you’d buy in a supermarket.

Really? Proof?

Are you seriously asking?

In Scotland (where I live), this is regulated by the Schools (Health Promotion and Nutrition) Scotland Act of 2007 with further regulations introduced in 2008.

Local authorities take this seriously – I was at my kids’ school yesterday for a special P1 kids-and-parents lunch in the school cafeteria and got to see how this works close-up. We eat a very healthy diet in our house, but this is only possible because we have the advantages of adequate income, time, knowledge and an interest in food, which not everyone has.

There were a few aspects of the school lunch offering I saw yesterday that I’d perhaps change, but on the whole I thought it struck a good balance in providing nutritious, filling food that young children would want to eat. The kitchen staff came across as very engaged in what they were doing, and very clear on what the aims of the school meal are.

Now aside from hygiene standards and public health regulations on product recall, where exactly are the regulations governing food that can and can’t be sold in supermarkets?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, the problem is the pilot study showed no increase in better eating or health benefits

That’s not what the mayor in one of the piloted areas claimed.

EDIT From the head teacher of a piloted school :

“We have moved from a position where staff spent valuable teaching time checking that pupils were given a healthy packed lunch to a position where we can be confident that almost all our pupils eat a balanced, healthy and varied lunch every school day. We are no longer looking in packed lunch boxes to only see two pieces of dry bread which was one of our most worrying observations.

“As a result our pupils are more focused and attentive in the afternoons and have a heightened awareness of the importance of making healthy choices both in what they eat and how they spend their time and exercise. Behaviour has improved and most pupils now return to afternoon classes well fed, calmer and ready to learn.”

LHS
    Free Member

Each to their own. That’s not proof, but I wouldn’t be exposing my children to food prepared in schools.

binners

That sounds very open-minded of you. And not at all like an ill thought through sweeping generalisation.

While asking for evidence (and getting it) from others, you seem quite happy to be basing your own opinions on something that you read in the Daily Mail, about a TV program that Jamie Oliver did a few years back. Have you actually used the word Turkey Twizzlers yet? Or are you saving that for your next post? 🙄

Nobby

That’s not proof, but I wouldn’t be exposing my children to food prepared in schools.

Did you even bother looking at the stuff linked on the previous page?

There is an unfortunate attitude in this country that school meals are tyhe same now as they were in the 1970s & 80s.

LHS
    Free Member

Ahhh the old Daily Mail quote (round of applause for the dreggs of debating prowess).

There was no evidence provided, just an opinion.

Having seen and tasted school meals recently, I won’t be letting my kids eat them. If you want to, you do so. Your choice. Don’t take it personally.

2tyred

Each to their own. That’s not proof, but I wouldn’t be exposing my children to food prepared in schools.

No worries, stick to making entirely uninformed remarks instead.

Just keep paying the tax.

dragon
    Free Member

If the mayor said that then he’s not read the pilot study report and/or lying.

Read the report and make up your own mind, but the evidence for it seems flakey at best. Some minor improvements in attainment by the kids, but no evidence this was as a result of the dinners. No health benefits noted, no reported improvement in behaviour of the kids etc.

LHS
    Free Member

No worries, stick to making entirely uninformed remarks instead.

Having kids in school, seeing the menus, and tasting the food, its not uninformed.

Tax doesn’t concern me.

chewkw
    Free Member

Solutions:

1. Parents who want their children to have better food at school should pool together to pay to the school monthly for food upgrade.

This means others that do not have children do not have to incur more stealth tax to feed others.

2. Lower or even lower tax for single working people if the govt wants everyone to contribute to feed others’ children.

3. Parents eat less or starve. Yes, you … are you growing side ways?

4. Parents prepare the meal themselves and opt out from the school meal. Obviously the other question is can parents cook? 🙄

The bottom line as one of my colleague says … why should he pay for others’ children when he is single and being taxed to the hilt?

🙄

binners

Having seen and tasted school meals recently, I won’t be letting my kids eat them

Details…? Or I think we can all safely assume you’ve just made that up.

You seem very very very well informed. I eagerly await the results of your extensive research

5thElefant
    Free Member

I can hazard a guess from your general tone which party your cross goes next to. In fact, I suspect you may actually be George Osbourne. Are you? But I digress. What I’m saying is that looking at these policies, this sounds more appealing than anything I’ve heard from either of the other lot. I very much doubt that will change much over the next couple of weeks

I won’t be voting for any of them.

LHS
    Free Member

Just googled school lunch menu

First school that comes up:

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/schools/meals/menu

Meat Pie
    Chips
    Date Shortcake
    Ice-cream

Sounds healthy.. 😯

yunki
    Free Member

I’m going to remain optimistic, and hope that food standards in schools have increased since the 70s..

However, we’ve been looking at primary schools for our eldest this last couple of weeks, and I remarked to one of the heads that that very particular school smell had instantly transported me back 35 years.. She said it was because they had just had dinner

Nobby

THESE PEOPLE are the most reputed external school caterers in Kent. A quick look at their menus shows the variety of food on offer & they operate under the FSA, Ofsted & Local Authority rules & regulations.

If this isn’t good enough then what should they be doing?

LHS
    Free Member

This one looks better…

http://www.priorsleeprimaryacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-2013-school-dinner-menu.pdf

Sausage and Gravy
    Baked beans
    Chocolate crunch

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If the mayor said that then he’s not read the pilot study report and/or lying.

What do you think the chances are that the mayor didn’t bother reading the pilot study report before urging the government to adopt the scheme throughout the country ? Do you think it is more likely he was publicly lying ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10273613

And what about the observations of the head teacher in Newham, was she lying ?

http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/News/Government-takes-Newham%27s-lead-on-free-school-meals.aspx

2tyred

The bottom line as one of my colleague says … why should he pay for others’ children when he is single and being taxed to the hilt?

Because he lives in a society.

Coyote
    Free Member

something that you read in the Daily Mail

There are a few (iolo, 5thidiot among others) who seem to get their information from the Daily Hate.

OK, I’ll try another approach. Feckless, workshy parent sends offspring into school with a can of supermarket own brand energy drink and a pack of Monster Munch. Caring society offers to level the playing field in at least one area (and lets face it there are plenty areas where it ain’t level) by offering all children in a certain age range a decent meal at lunch time. Assuming that the food reached LHS clinically hygienic and nutritious standards then I am failing to see a down side. Mrs C. is a teacher and she will vouch for the difference in children’s behaviour after eating a balanced meal rather than being whacked out on sugar and saturated fats.

binners

Meat Pie
    Chips
    Date Shortcake
    Ice-cream

Sounds healthy..

….. as well as a lot of other things. So apart from selecting the worst case options of a random menu off the internet, no actual evidence then?

Not even a second hand anecdote you heard from a bloke down the pub? How disappointing 🙁

kimbers

LHS – Member
    Just googled school lunch menu

First school that comes up:

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/schools/meals/menu

Meat Pie
    Chips
    Date Shortcake
    Ice-cream

Sounds healthy..

yeah protein, fruit and carbs

I expect your kids only eat organic humous soaked in hand pressed olive oil and free range lemon juice with a basil, tomato and pine nut relish?

LHS
    Free Member

THESE PEOPLE are the most reputed external school caterers in Kent.

and on Tuesday the menu was Sausages, Potato Wedges and Chocolate Sponge.

Should help with the obesity problem in Kent 😯

LHS
    Free Member

If you think that Meat Pie, Chips and Shortcake is a good lunch for your kids then that’s your decision.

kimbers

no really LHS id love to hear what exactly your kids are eating for lunch today?

(and in your effort to try and fudge youre point you missed out the compulsory veg section off that menu)

binners

As you’ve no actual evidence then, are you sure you’ve got no anecdotes? Not even one?

You seem very sure of your incredibly stupid ill-informed opinion.

You must have a good story you overheard at a supermarket check-out you can share with us, surely?

warton
    Free Member

This thread has everything

Food
    Children
    Tax
    Benefits

If only someone could sneak in a immigration post, it would be the perfect thread.

2tyred

and on Tuesday the menu was Sausages, Potato Wedges and Chocolate Sponge.

Should help with the obesity problem in Kent

For active schoolchildren, could you explain – given your accurate knowledge of the ingredients used and methods of preparation involved in this meal – what makes this meal as unhealthy as your sarcasm appears to suggest?

Coyote
    Free Member

Should help with the obesity problem in Kent

Diet is only part of the problem with obesity. Exercise is also a massive part and getting children into sports at a young age will help.

Nobby

Tuesday the menu was Sausages, Potato Wedges and Chocolate Sponge.

Again, picking on the worst case & not mentioning the vegetables or the fruit available every day. The wedges are oven baked, not fried – as per the regs which, if you could be arsed to actually look at them, would show you how it should be. If your kid’s school isn’t, then they should be reported as such.

clubber
    Free Member

I saw an immigrant having school dinners (The halal option in this instance) at my son’s school… does that help?

They do have to check their Muslamic Ray Guns in at reception though.

LHS
    Free Member

Binners, you seem to be very angry and rude. Not sure why.

I’ve given my rational, don’t really need to explain anymore. As I said, it’s an individual choice and i choose not to let my kids go to school and eat the school dinners.

chewkw
    Free Member

2tyred – Member

Because he lives in a society.

But the society force him to feed others’ children … where is his human rights? 😆

scuzz
    Free Member

LHS: I’ve given my rational, don’t really need to explain anymore. As I said, it’s an individual choice and i choose not to let my kids go to school and eat the school dinners.

Poor effort! This has got another 8 pages left in it, why don’t you double post some more to get the count higher? 😉

LHS
    Free Member

what makes this meal as unhealthy as your sarcasm appears to suggest?

You honestly need me to explain to you why Sausage and Chips and Chocolate cake isn’t the healthiest of lunches for children?

chewkw
    Free Member

warton – Member

This thread has everything

Food
    Children
    Tax
    Benefits

If only someone could sneak in a immigration post, it would be the perfect thread.

You forgot parents that are growing side ways.

Nom nom nom …
    😆

Nobby

In summary:

All food in schools must meet nutritional standards so that children have healthy, balanced diets.

This means there must be:
    high-quality meat, poultry or oily fish
    at least 2 portions of fruit and vegetables with every meal
    bread, other cereals and potatoes

There can’t be:
    fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate or sweets in school meals and vending machines
    more than 2 portions of deep-fried food a week

clubber
    Free Member

My son would miss his cherry tomatos if he had school dinners every day 🙂

Anyway, in some ways, LHS you neatly demonstrate the problem. If school dinners were free, IMO most parents (obviously not you) would take that option up and bringing in food would be unusual. As such, the kids who go in with crap food because they’re fussy would be forced to eat better.

grahamg
    Free Member

I’m all for it if the studies are genuinely evidence based. However I fear that in the next issue of Private Eye, it will be pointed out that the study was paid for by a group of school catering suppliers, or shortcomings in the methodology were ignored as the MP’s pushing to get it promoted sit on the board of aforementioned companies.

binners

Binners, you seem to be very angry and rude. Not sure why.

Its irrational I know. Apoligies. I’m a deeply flawed individual, who reacts badly when faced with a towering intellectual colossus who repeatedly out-foxes me with his perfectly constructed, evidence-based, rational arguments, backed up and delivered with wit and verve

Essentially, I’m just jealous

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘No such thing as a free school lunch…’ is closed to new replies.