Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • No snow in Yurp so far this season..
  • zbonty

Ok, its early season but not alot happening snow wise this year. We were hoping to go snowboarding early/mid Jan.

Some good deals to be had but quite risky. I don’t need to pay/travel far to see a muddy hillside.

Who else is booked up, kit serviced and raring to go but concerned about poor conditions? Anyone been desperate enough to go to USA/Canada for a week?

miketually
    Free Member

Head to Scotland? Cairngorm apparently opened its lift early and my brother-in-law’s had three days cross country skiing up there already this year.

DezB
    Free Member

I couldn’t go last year and it dumped and dumped. Planning to go in January for my 50th… there had better be snow, or I won’t bother with a 51st!

julians
    Free Member

we’re booked for a long weekend in early jan for the porte du soleil.

Hadnt been paying any attention to the weather, it could all change in a matter of days, I’ll worry if theres still no snow a couple of days before we go.

organic355
    Free Member

go to zermatt, guaranteed a snow on the glacier all year.

but expensive….

ahwiles
    Free Member

and racist.

footflaps

The high resorts are open, we’re off to Val Thorens in three weeks and pretty much all the runs are open now.

julians
    Free Member

Just checked porte du soleil website, it reckons they have 140cm of snow, so no massive cause for concern .

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Head to Scotland? Cairngorm apparently opened its lift early and my brother-in-law’s had three days cross country skiing up there already this year. “

you would be disapoints just now.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just checked porte du soleil website, it reckons they have 140cm of snow, so no massive cause for concern .

I just had a look at the webcams as its an area I’m familiar with. Not looking great but still early

pretty much all the runs are open now.

Unfortunately there’s a world of difference between ‘open’ and ‘good’. That said I’ve had some fantastic weeks on rubbish snow

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Plenty of snow around Europe at the moment. Not all lifts in all resorts open yet, but it is early. I think you’ll be OK.

Northwind

Looks pretty snowy in white rooms’ updates from les arcs/area

atlaz
    Free Member

We’ve had a couple of loads of snow so far. Nothing permanent but we’re not that much above sea level. Problem with some of the Portes du Soleil webcams is some haven’t been updated in months.

dashed
    Free Member

Good early start to most of Europe, bit of a dry spell at the minute and a few milder days but far from unusual this time of year. It’s still cold enough for most resort to have been going crazy with the snow making. Everywhere is basically one decent snowfall away from being amazing!

Current blocking high looks like it might break down around Christmas Day / Boxing Day but way too early to tell.

We’re in the PdS over Xmas and NY and not concerned yet. Even if conditions get no better, there’ll still be some good sliding to be had. Picking up the new skis on Sat 🙂

Speeder

I’m taking my snow holidays based on this rule for the near future to see how it pans out.

Ed Leigh’s How to Ride Powder Every time you go away

molgrips
    Free Member

We usually go back to the US for Thanksgiving, and we stay the week after hoping it’ll snow so I can go XC skiing. We couldn’t go this year, and guess what.. tons of snow, freak cold..

2tyred

Doesn’t look that bad to me: la Plagne

Last season was spectacular though, who knows what this year will bring?

footflaps

We’ve been skiing in the Alps over NY for the last 4 years and had great weather and snow for the last 3 years. 4 years ago the weather was a bit iffy, but still have loads of snow…..

plumber
    Free Member

I’ll be in Montana in 10 days or so, looking good so far – but cold

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m taking my snow holidays based on this rule for the near future to see how it pans out.

Done that with late cycling hollidays in the past, although TBH I may as well just phone Mike at Switchbacks, always sunny and always dry.

Although another year with a broken arm and I’m missing out 🙁 I need my mid-December deep sand and dusty trail fix!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Looks to be enough in Italy:

http://www.kronplatz.com/en/live/webcam/

zbonty

I was hoping to talk down the conditions in order to provoke several massive dumps.

I’m going to have to book something to cheer myself up in the next week or so.

wwaswas

in order to provoke several massive dumps.

I don’t think people are that worried, tbh.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, no snow at all. I was imagining this the other week:

zbonty

stevomcd- you’ve got a magic wand in your hand so thats cheating.

Little bit jealous!

JulianA
    Free Member

This time last year in / near Spa it was -9c and 3 inches of snow – this year it is +9c and wet…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘No snow in Yurp so far this season..’ is closed to new replies.