Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • No singlespeed framesets any more?
  • theotherjonv

milfordvet

how did you find that – been looking at the P-X and On-one websites under frames and they don’t have it listed.

Ta.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you were going the PF30 route, then the current Boardman Pro 29er is worth a look.

Lots of cheap lightly used ones about.

cookeaa

True, but with a modicum of effort they could turn it back from OK to great.

44mm headtube
    27.5+ clerance
    A smidge slacker (or a smidge steeper SA to optimise it for 100-120mm forks as 80mm no long exists)

None of that would affect the price much, they just don’t have a Brant anymore listening to feedback and constantly twiddling.

Seeing as On-One was a big part of the SS niche for aeons, It’s arguable whether their lack of interest or external factors (fatbikes) are what makes SS even more niche than it was.

I think a 44mm HT would be a good call, and possibly a bigger seat tube ID to accommodate more droppers, but I wonder if it might be a bit too much bandwagon jumping to add 27+ clearance and/or monkey with the angles… In my head the appeal of a SS is simplicity, and that it’s a bit more towards the efficient “XC” machine than slack ‘n’ tasty “trail HT” end of the scale (IMO of course)… Start from a basic rigid SS and maybe add stuff like suspension forks, chubby rubber and droppers if necessary but otherwise apply KISS…

There’s got to be a benefit for manufacturers in adopting “Modern Standards” in order for them to do it. Of course for SS MTB bikes/frames, 135mm rear spacing, IS disc mounts, 27.2 Seat posts and EC34 Head Tubes are still adequate and people shopping for a SS will be thinking simple and basic, and re-using old bits for the most part…

As an example How would you accommodate SS with a boost hub? full sliding drop out or EBB? either option is possible but adds cost and part count, Horizontal Dropouts are the cheapest, easiest solution from a manufacturing POV…

I reckon there’s probably a bit of holding back and waiting to see how the market shakes out, that will have an impact on Niches like SS MTBs, is it wise to invest in new tooling and product lines during a period of such flux and change?

It’s a bit like fixies, there’s not much cause to go adopting fancy new standards for something so basic and simple hence even the new ones are not much different to bikes from 30+ years earlier…

thepodge
    Free Member

I really don’t think there’s much milage in making bikes more suited to singlespeed, it’s a really small market and any frame can be ss with a tensioner for around a tenner.

coomber
    Free Member

Onza work out comparatively good vfm single speed

cookeaa

thepodge – Member
    I really don’t think there’s much milage in making bikes more suited to singlespeed, it’s a really small market and any frame can be ss with a tensioner for around a tenner.

I’ve had both and definitely think a purpose built SS bike is the preferable option, but yes it’s a niche product and not everyone is going to want to unequivocally commit to SS and buy a slot dropout frame.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m the opposite, I’ve had many singlespeeds and my least favourite was the dedicated one.

My favourite mountain bike can be run ss as it’s sliding dropouts but I have it with gears.

jameso
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘No singlespeed framesets any more?’ is closed to new replies.