Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • No singlespeed framesets any more?
  • theotherjonv

No new Inbreds? No Cotic Simple? Can’t find an el mariachi anywhere. Apart from the swift what’s happened to SS framesets, unless you go to super high end or bespoke?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Stooge, Kona unit, most of surly’s offerings? They are definitely still there!

bigblackshed

You could buy my Sanderson Soloist? Like an Inbred but a lot nicer.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Salsa el mar , used to have swappable drop outs
    But Ive not look at the price since Ison stopped doing them

TheBrick
    Free Member

SS is just not MTB anymore. Not hardcore enough and not expensive enough.

theotherjonv

sorry, should have specified 29er

@orangeboy – can’t find an el mar anywhere (that’s what i meant, I know I said a la carte, have edited)

tomhoward

Santa Cruz chameleon?

otsdr
    Free Member

Sobre Dad is available with singlespeed dropouts, although I’m not sure how that will work with the fixed rear brake mount.

l.e. there’s also an L Niner ROS 9+ frameset on r2-bike.de at 800€…

Rorschach
    Free Member

El Mariachi has been discontinued.

theotherjonv

Thanks for the ideas; Stooge is £550, that’s too high for a winter hack for my budget.

Kona Unit – can’t find that frame only anywhere, and is 27.5 anyway

Karate Monkey – £689

coomber
    Free Member

Pinnacle ramin

theotherjonv

Ramin’s geared isn’t it?

otsdr
    Free Member

Poison Zyankali (or the cheaper E605, if you don’t mind using a tensioner).

orangeboy
    Free Member

I did not realise the el mar was no more.
    Do white industries still make a eno disk eccentric hub that you can use in a normal frame ?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I’ve got a kona big unit frame with hope headset you may like £50 will do it plus some postage

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When niches go out of fashion…

theotherjonv

Pop Larkin, tentative yes……. what size is it?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

18inch I think – will get some pics

Bez

Genesis Longitude?

Del

As someone else said chameleon. Also Kona honzo.
    Or any frame you like with iscg, and use a chain device to tension. Works pretty well IME.
    Hth.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Surly Krampii at CTBM?

Hmmm. Too much probably.

Daffy

Anything with a PF30 BB can be singlespeeded with. Niner biocentric.

kerley
    Free Member

Peak single speed was around 10 years ago wasn’t it? Manufacturers are not going to continue supplying to no demand.

theotherjonv

Again, nice thoughts but these are £600 frames….. and true, I could ss anything with a tensioner but was wondering why no one seems to be making the £300-ish frame any more. Was cfh right, is ss dead 😉

As for the biocentric, nice idea too but £129! I was thinking I could get an Inbred frame for about that!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Are you after frame only theotherjonv?

Have a 19.5 Inbred 29 Ltd that I’m close to moving on but complete only so might be of no interest.

olly2097
    Free Member

well if your not feeling snobby the bizango 29er has adjustable dropouts for single speed…..

thepodge
    Free Member

The reason you can’t find £300 quid singlespeeds anymore is no one is making £300 frames let alone singlespeed ones.

£/$/¥ changes made making bikes more expensive and if you’re not careful a boost rear axle would cost you half that frame price.

swanny853

if you fit a small or med

Pinnacle Ramin 260 quid. Whole bike is available in all sizes for 800.

As well as the Chamaeleon you could look at the highball. The aluminium version still has as dropouts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The reason you can’t find £300 quid singlespeeds anymore is no one is making £300 frames let alone singlespeed ones.

True, but not just an exchange rate issue.

If you look at an old On-One there were a lot of cost cutting in the frame, stuff like the really cheap dropouts, plain gauge headtubes etc. Dialled Bikes etc were more expensive but had nicer details.

On one still sell <£200 frames, they’ve just not been updated for a while. Which is a problem because they used to do small batches and regular tweeks which don’t actually cost that much to implement (frame still costs the same to build).

swanny853

Oh, pipedream are good for tensionable dropouts too

BigDummy
    Free Member

Was cfh right, is ss dead?

It’s pretty dead, sales-wise. There must have been about 3-5 years when it made no end of sense to be churning out single-speed paraphernalia. Bikes, frames, hubs, freewheels, cranks, spacer sets, tensioners, bottle-openers, fancy spanners, halflink chains, stainless-steel chainrings, chain-tugs, titanium hipflask-cages, top-caps with swearwords on them, angry t-shirts. A huge argument about whether the best singlespeeds were bikes you’d found in a skip, some On-One horror or a bespoke Retrotec.

All that energy moved on. I’m sure some people are still happily enjoying their singlespeeds. But a substantial portion of the “fun not speed, “my beard signifies important things about my lifestyle” market moved happily on to buying fatbikes (they’ve now largely stopped doing that) and then bikepacking bikes (this wave is surely cresting too).

🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Onza Payoff is £315 (their site will offer you a 10% discount on that too) and is PF30 allowing eccentric BB for singlespeed.

https://onza.com/collections/mtb-bikes/payoff-frames

I have the 650b Jackpot and think the frames are reasonable VFM. They are not light though, check the spec.

verses

I’ve been running Singlespeed for years but never had a singlespeed specific frame.

This beauty is all you need 🙂

milfordvet
    Free Member

They still sell Inbred 29 SS in all sizes inc. choice of an 18 or 19.5 for £149. If your riding SS XC then the geometry and tube sizes are all completely fine.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOSSLTD29/on-one-inbred-29er-single-speed-mountain-bike-frame-ltd-edition

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What about me, I ride a single speed fat bike and go bikepacking. Peak of a wave or just a strange interference pattern?

shermer75
    Free Member

Brother Cycles ‘Big Bro’ (currently reduced from £499 to £374!!)

https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/frames/big-bro/

Review: Brother Cycles Big Bro

shermer75
    Free Member

most of surly’s offerings?

Surly have changed factories and their prices have jumped up by 25%, which makes them a bit pricey these days unfortunately…

qwerty
    Free Member

May break the bank…

😀

fifeandy
    Free Member

May break the bank…

And if it doesn’t break the bank it’ll break the eyes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They still sell Inbred 29 SS in all sizes inc. choice of an 18 or 19.5 for £149. If your riding SS XC then the geometry and tube sizes are all completely fine.

True, but with a modicum of effort they could turn it back from OK to great.

44mm headtube
    27.5+ clerance
    A smidge slacker (or a smidge steeper SA to optimise it for 100-120mm forks as 80mm no long exists)

None of that would affect the price much, they just don’t have a Brant anymore listening to feedback and constantly twiddling.

Seeing as On-One was a big part of the SS niche for aeons, It’s arguable whether their lack of interest or external factors (fatbikes) are what makes SS even more niche than it was.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘No singlespeed framesets any more?’ is closed to new replies.