No riding for me for a while….

Home Forum Bike Forum No riding for me for a while….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • No riding for me for a while….
  • Premier Icon mtbfix
    Subscriber

    Was it the same young lad as climbed up your forks?

    **** me thats awful

    Klunk
    Member

    Hope it wasn’t my lad, he’s got a habit of breaking people arm wrestling !

    Jamie
    Member

    How could this happen?

    I thought you were buff as ****, TAFKASTR?

    I just don’t know what to believe now….there is no God 🙁

    P.S Sounds awful. Get well soon.

    Drunk – tick
    Arm wrestle challenge – tick
    For money – tick
    Young lad – tick
    Well beaten – tick

    Bicep tendon, torn from the bone, not actually doing anything apart from recoiling half way up my upper arm, no sign of a bicep anymore, just a spongy mess, needing an operation to re-attach, time off work/gym/bike – tick

    Idiot – tick

    Won’t be doing that again!

    I binned it on the Monsal trail today, wheelieing and showing off to the kids with a heavy rucksack that took me backwards as i shifted up clipped in. I wasn’t drunk just very stupid.

    However, I’ve decided i’m going to go with flats, silver lining to a painful spill.

    Hope you mend soon.

    RightWing
    Member

    Nasty. I did the same injury in 2010 at the gym on the preacher bench. Was out for over a year. Arm is still 50% weaker compared to the left one.
    Incidentally I also broke the same arm 15 years ago arm wrestling..
    I too am an idiot!

    robowns
    Member

    Arm wrestling is never a good idea. I gave my mates a competition when halfcut and my arms killed for months.

    I’ve hurt myself before – that was beating a pub full of blokes of varying size.

    Thought I was cock of the town last night though and got destroyed by someone smaller and younger than me 🙁

    Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

    I thought injuries obtained while drunk don’t actually count? And that everything just returns to normal when you sober up? No?

    I thought that too binners and genuinely thought I’d awake this morning to find it all ok. Passed out last night, woke this morning, remembered what had happened, checked – still borked! 🙁

    Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

    There’s a secret technique to arm wrestling. I’ve watched mate whose a little guy challenge the bouncers in a pub for the shirts off their backs. He left with 3 shirts that didn’t fit him.

    My technique has it nailed 90% of the time – wrist locked, pull towards, not sideways – the other 10% I’m drunk 🙁

    Update – 8 months on. Had the op within 3 weeks – 3″ scar across my forearm where the tendon was re-attached. Was back at work in October on supposedly light duties (self-employed, so kudos to my main customer for giving me work) although the duties weren’t that light! Didn’t go to the gym, or do any biking until after Christmas (and ate a load of crap – put on over a stone), but been back at it for a few months now. Biking is fine, gym work still a little weak – curling 16kg each arm instead of 20/22kg. Lost over half a stone and getting close to where I want to be for summer.

    Nasty. I did the same injury in 2010 at the gym on the preacher bench. Was out for over a year. Arm is still 50% weaker compared to the left one.
    Incidentally I also broke the same arm 15 years ago arm wrestling..
    I too am an idiot!

    Dunno how your physio regime went on, but that seems slow progress – I’d heard other people say you never get your full strength back, but I’m hoping to be there in a few months – right bicep is about an inch shorter than the left though.

    antigee
    Member

    get well

    good friend of mine had this happen with his hamstring (hillwalking not wresting)- op done late as misdiagnosed as ligament not muscle – a very long recovery but the sort who will stick at what ever training need to do to get to a target – got 100% recovery even improved his alp d’huez time and back to high grade rock climbing OK

    I and gave my mate a spiral fracture up his humerous about eight years ago, using your technique. He was winning but the pub table was covered in beer, elbows were sliding around – CRACK!

    The fracture was so complex, it now has a name, dubbed
    by the surgeon 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘No riding for me for a while….’ is closed to new replies.