Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • No more RLJs in Brussels
  • leffeboy

Having read all the stuff that is spouted on here about jumping red lights, Brussels city has decided to introduce a couple of new road signs as a test

The first will let you turn right at a red light and the second lets you go straight though – with the condition that you have to give way to the traffic you are joining. There are only 10 in the whole city and the test runs until September. The only complaint seems to have been that it makes road rules even more confusing for children but given that mine seem to know way more about the road rules here than me I’m not sure that’s a real issue.

Good idea or unnecessary bureaucracy?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gorra be worth a try.

Stoner
    Free Member

I assume there’s a proviso not to run down any peds crossing on the right turn carriageway that you’re entering? 😉

Are the test signs located at sites with pedestrian crossings or are they road traffic only junctions?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

I assume there’s a proviso not to run down any peds crossing on the right turn carriageway that you’re entering?

Funnily enough that’s there anyway. In a car you often turn right across a pedestrian crossing that is green. More disconcerting for pedestrians that cars I think.

Haven’t seen any of the signs yet but from where I think they are, yes they will cross pedestrian crossings. At least one appears to be at a big junction where the traffic stream you are about to turn right onto then has an option of making a right turn itself just afterwards. Could get messy 🙁

Edit:I take that back, the road I thought they could turn into is one way

andytherocketeer

I assume there’s a proviso not to run down any peds crossing on the right turn carriageway that you’re entering?

Probably a normal rule for all traffic anyway? Certainly NL and DE are like that, even for cars… green light for cars for straight-on and right turn… there’ll also be green light for pedestrians on that right-turn crossing.

Stoner
    Free Member

there’ll also be green light for pedestrians on that right-turn crossing.

got to say I prefer the anal UK approach of traffic OR ped, never both.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No. No. No.

Red lights, much like speed limits, are just optional. You can ignore them if your own personal risk management process opinion says that you can.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a TJ FACT!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

you have got to fix your computer CFH.

leffeboy

you didn’t edit the no, no, no 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know. No idea WTF is happening, but I keep double, or even triple posting.

Stoner
    Free Member

its a touch of the wee Michael J Fox’s isnt it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I have been in a certain well know purveyor of the finest ales in the world all night, so maybe……

😉

maccruiskeen

but I keep double, or even triple posting.

you know what happens when you post [u]TJ FACT![/u][/i] three times in a row

andytherocketeer

there’ll also be green light for pedestrians on that right-turn crossing.

got to say I prefer the anal UK approach of traffic OR ped, never both.

It works. Might sound odd, cos it’s different to UK. In NL, it’s more to do with the bike paths having priority.

So in fact, if you turn right, you *always* have to check. Regardless. Doesn’t matter if it’s ped crossing, lights, cycle path crossing, exiting a roundabout. It just becomes second nature.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘No more RLJs in Brussels’ is closed to new replies.