• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • No more OS on Bing maps
  • danposs86

Not sure when it happened, but it looks like Bing Maps has removed the OS layer from their desktop maps.
    Real shame as used it a lot to plan routes.

Anyone know any good alternatives?

colin9

It’s still there for me.
    Zoom in a bit more?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Works fine for me.

danposs86

Tried multiple zoom levels, no ball.

null

tomd
    Free Member

Just checked it still works for me. Just need to select it from the drop down in the top right and zoom in.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sometimes it take a bit of zooming and a moment or two before it works.

Twodogs

Yep still there for me

danposs86

To those that has OS still working, does the layout look the same as the above screenshot?
    Wondering if there is some A/B testing going on.

danposs86

Ok, so I was using it on Chrome, tried on Firefox and I get OS showing.
    So something going on there.

molgrips
    Free Member

It won’t work if it thinks you are outside the UK, and if you’re on a computer it has to use your IP to determine this which is notoriously unreliable. Some offices I go to route their internet connection through some other location and I don’t get the option. Or sometimes it just decides my home is in Arkansas or something. You can sometimes tell this because when you open the side it defaults to somewhere random j stead of your actual location. unless you’ve already set up a home location I guess.

StuF

the diff for me is you’ve lost the option on the top right to select OS. Mine is still there. If you zoom right in it goes back to ‘road’

Edit: Using Edge Chromium

nuke

Just wish OS would sort the OS Maps app…used to be a pretty decent app for biking but then came version 2

martinhutch

Mine is fine, on Chrome.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago – check your settings, mine had switched to a US location for some reason (as Molgrips mentions). Changing it back to UK fixed it.

johnners
    Free Member

Just wish OS would sort the OS Maps app…used to be a pretty decent app for biking but then came version 2

Is this because of the auto-switching between map resolutions as you zoom in and out? I find that bloody annoying, especially if what I want to do is save an decent-sized bit of 1:25000 for offline use.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

especially if what I want to do is save an decent-sized bit of 1:25000 for offline use.

The Android app downloads 1:25, 1:50 and pointless overview maps as a single item now, so no need to be showing 1:25k when you download

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What gobuchul says, the app is brilliant out in the hills too.

stumpyjon

That looks really good value for money, especially considering how expensive Tracklogs used to be. Might have to invest.

nuke

Is this because of the auto-switching between map resolutions as you zoom in and out? I find that bloody annoying, especially if what I want to do is save an decent-sized bit of 1:25000 for offline use.

Yep, very annoying if you want to browse the larger area at 1:25k. Other issues though including offline mappings not loading without a mobile connection and other general reliability issues.

Vs 2 just doesn’t seem to have brought in anything new but added a whole host of bugs for folk (just read some of the reviews on Google Play). Ive rolled back to the last version of vs 1.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘No more OS on Bing maps’ is closed to new replies.