Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • no more bikes in CTC poly bags
  • D0NK

I like this idea….

That is awesome! I’d have left a bit more material at the rear dropout/chainstay but great work.

igm

The bikeradar polystyrene idea – you used to be able to get two pack expanding foam in a poly bag.
    Actually how about two of those poly bike bags, double bag the bike the fill the space between the bags with no more big gaps type stuff – use a cheap bike bag and a sheet of plywood to give it shape while it goes off. Then carefully cut the resulting shell into two halves. Someone else can go first and let me know how it goes obviously.

On a more practical / professional note, could someone design an inflatable bike bag – like those inflatable tents complete with blow off valves. Or would the airlines dislike that more?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Anyone used a evoc bike bag for travel to NZ recently?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

crotchrocket – Member
    Anyone used a evoc bike bag for travel to NZ recently?

Used everywhere, whats the question?
    Packing for a US/Canada trip in a couple of weeks, only thing to watch for is regional links like the occasional flight to Roto on the very very little plane

crotchrocket
    Free Member

The numbers NZ Air give for max size of bike bag is marginally larger than an evoc.
    i wondered if they are enforcing the size limit.

Ewan
    Free Member

We did a self supported weeks trans alp ride – our only luggage was a camelback each.

We did the obvious thing – used proper bike bags, built them up in a quiet bit of the airport, left the bags in left luggage. Didn’t cost a massive amount for the week maybe 40 quid? Baggage people didn’t bat an eyelid.

Entirely painless and easy – this was at Geneva but I’m sure most airports have left luggage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never had a problem, most of the domestic is automated check in. The only lying one who is being a pain is jetstar oz/nz. Air nz are still on the proper airline list and a very good one. Loads came over for ews with boxes bigger than my evoc with no issues

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Cheers Mike.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

We did a self supported weeks trans alp ride – our only luggage was a camelback each.

We did the obvious thing – used proper bike bags, built them up in a quiet bit of the airport, left the bags in left luggage. Didn’t cost a massive amount for the week maybe 40 quid? Baggage people didn’t bat an eyelid.

Entirely painless and easy – this was at Geneva but I’m sure most airports have left luggage.

That works if:
    a) you’re not riding to and from your UK airport of departure.
    b) your foreign tour is a round trip.

When one or both of the above apply it’s CTC bag time…

oldnpastit

I phoned up BA yesterday and they said it’s still fine. I’ll find out for sure in a couple of weeks time!

mark d
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of a poly bag; seems an incredible waste of plastic that will then just end up in the sea after one use just because someone can’t be bothered to buy a normal bike bag and store it for the return trip.
    I haven’t read the whole thread; so flame me, if I’ve misunderstood.
    Also, for the ones that seem to argue all the time and want ‘citations ‘ I’m imagining the plastic, if not reused, will end up in the sea; I can’t quote it though.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Mark – very useful if you want to ride to an airport fly Somewhere , do a long ride and fly back via another airport. Then ride home.

ianfitz
    Free Member

There’s also the school of thought that if baggage handlers can see what’s in there they tend to look after it a bit more.

I’m not totally convinced about this personally!

anagallis_arvensis

The pastic bags are also very useful if you find your lightweight tent isnt as water proof as it once was in an Alpine downpour!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not half as wasteful as my approach of take bike in a box – put box to recycling.

Ride a long way

Arrive in new town and go to bike shop get a new box.

tjagain

What I did was simply pack the tandem up really well in a big bag, fly, taxi to hotel, book hotel for the last night in the country and ask them if they would store it for me for 12 days. Zero hassle

richardthird

CTC placcy bag + Poste restante worked well on my one way Scottish tour this year.

(Used the train going up so didn’t need bag until flying home)

Riding the last few miles on the busy trunkroad to Inverness airport however, was an awful experience, after the cycle path just stopped in the middle of nowhere.

oldnpastit

I haven’t read the whole thread; so flame me, if I’ve misunderstood.

The bag is reusable. After a few trips they start getting big holes in them, and eventually these get too large to just tape-up.

Still probably less unrecyclable waste than a proper bike bag (it’s recyclable plastic, unlike a proper bike bag).

belugabob
    Free Member

That will stop all them damage won’t it. It’s all down to the bag not being good enough. Nothing to do with baggage manglers generally not giving a toss.

Oh, but they do – and usually from a considerable distance.
    I remember being sat on a plane, waiting to go to Sharm El Sheikh, when is was primarily a diving resort, so just about every bag would have expensive dive kit in it. . From my window seat, I watched in disgust as almost every bag was thrown from the baggage train to the conveyor that lead to the hold.
    You could almost see the sense of pleasure that they were getting from it.

As in other walks of life, some people are dicks.

hot_fiat

but I’m sure most airports have left luggage

You’d think eyh? But no, most Spanish ones do not for Some strange reason.

This rule is going to be difficult to adhere to with some airlines (air France-KLM for example) who operate a 23kg dead limit in Europe for luggage. A decent bike bag and bike can easily exceed that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

23kg is least of your worries with KLM / air France.

It’s the 300cm lxbxh – you cannot fit a bike with in that. So it’s an extra 300 euro for you.

Even when as a frequent flier with them I’m allowed 69kg worth of bags they cannot exceed the 300cm ruke

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not half as wasteful as my approach of take bike in a box – put box to recycling.

Ride a long way

Arrive in new town and go to bike shop get a new box.

This is my method too, except last time we chanced across a massive heap of stiff cardboard boxes in the recycling at the hotel, so we bought some box tape and set to work. saved trying to carry a bike box along a dual carridgeway to the airport too.

oldnpastit

It was fine! The bikes cleared immigration faster than I did.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Anyone had any more recent experience? A month ago is promising – a few of us are likely to be flying to Helsinki (from a variety of European airports) with bikes, then out from Warsaw in July and I don’t fancy tracking down a bike box in Poland.

oldnpastit

BA said they would change the wording on their website if/when the policy changed. So I would just check with the airlines you’re going with, bring a copy of the webpage and it will probably be fine.

I think at some airports (Geneva) you actually can buy cardboard boxes, and worst case, you could also go to one of those companies that wrap up suitcases in strips of weird polythene – that apparently also works.

scaredypants

bike case rant:

I had one that was built like a **** tank (and weighed approximately the same.

Still it was gradually ruined by the US security service (TSA?) at LAX and SFO airports. Took them a few goes but in the end I had to get rid. They insist on opening all items that can’t fit their x-ray machine but they’re utterly shit at repacking them. Oh no sir, they won’t let you see it happening and no way can you talk sensibly to them*.

So then the case goes through handling with the catches wide open, ready to snap off. Course, they put a single run of thin tape round it (I say “round” though it’s presumably too expensive to go right round, so they just do it like a steristrip across the join at a couple of points). Magically the bike hasn’t had major damage but the case is missing all but 1 original clasp and is now split. The presence of the official tape means that airlines can say that you go to TSA for damages (yeah right)

End result; bigger bike case that should be easier for a chimp to repack (though still the patronising **** failed last time 🙄 )

*I say that – one woman said that I wasn’t allowed to touch it but I could watch her close it up. She couldn’t but she didn’t have an ego problem and so let me come & close it (maybe it was all a ruse and she just wanted to frisk me all along).

(and I think the perfect case shape would have non-stackably irregular profile across its “flat” sides)

HansRey

munrobiker, i’ve flown from helsinki to riga with a touring bike. We didn’t even bag it. They just wheeled it onto the plane.

However, the baggage handlers at Helsinki are complete apes. If it’s packed, it’s wrecked 😉

oldnpastit

I’ve just been told by the baggage handler at Gatwick that they no longer take bikes in poly bags after the pedals of a bike broke their conveyer belt for a couple of days.

(Mine was in a CRC bag this time so I’m still flying today).

Northwind

“Don’t rely on the baggage handlers to do your job for you.”

They won’t let me load the bike onto the plane.

This is one of those two way things. I pack my bike better than most people, which is why it’s survived when the slingers had a really good go at damaging it. But I bloody shouldn’t have to. At least twice the bag’s been outright abused, I’m not talking “stacked a little carelessly” but enough to smash off the heavyweight plastic runners etc.

So basically, they don’t want to carry bikes in plastic bags, so they can carry on smashing them about in boxes.

richardthird

It’s not up to the baggage handlers it’s up to the airlines. Take a copy of the airline policy to show the handler.

Once it’s passed the airlines constraints and they’ve checked it in and given you a tag, they have to load it.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘no more bikes in CTC poly bags’ is closed to new replies.