Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • No money for NHS pensions but Speaker Bercow spends £37K on a painting…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

When did Rob Andrew become Speaker of the House of Commons?

TJ: just correcting the typo’s

Just more of the stupidity from morally bankrupt governments.

Symptomatic of the lovely “State” that you believe is the most efficient allocator of scarce resources.

These people cannot help themselves – embarrassing wife, crass symbolism and a waste of money. Society gets what it deserves perhaps?

highclimber
    Free Member

Brian sewell has just given a scathing critique of both the painting and the Coat of arms.
    he basically said the painting doesn’t show him to be the speaker, just a commoner from essex with no lineage, he went on to explain that he’s not a tudor, he’s not a stewart…and he has the affrontary to commission a coat of arms to make himself seem equal to his peers

OWTTE

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Symptomatic of the lovely “State” that you believe is the most efficient allocator of scarce resources.

Symptomatic of archaic traditions which date back to feudal days you mean.

And I have never heard TJ claim that the state under the control of a Tory government is “most efficient”. In fact I’ve heard him suggest otherwise.

So what exactly are you on about ?

That the Tories are spunking our money and it’s all our the fault ?

aracer
    Free Member

Just more of the stupidity from the morally bankrupt government

Which government is John Bercow a member of?

I’ve listened to PMQs a few times recently, and he really does love the sound of his own voice.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

C’mon – this is not a party political issue. This is just another example of the excesses that go on within the Palace of W’minster across all parties. Its part of their vanity and the propensity to spend money.

So I am speaking about (TJ and other) assertion that the state is the most efficient allocator of resources. No need to be defensive about, “it’s all our fault’.

Aracrer, as I am sure you know, the Speaker is meant to be strickly non-Partisan.

So I will stick to my point – this frivilous spending is symbolic (pun intended) of how politicians waste ALL our money, if given a chance. Particularly when it comes to inflating their own egos.

poly
    Free Member

embarrassing wife

do you think so? I have to say for someone in politics I think she has a certain something about her. I might not agree with everything that she says, and she’s obviously much more switched on to the PR machine / Media than her hubby but if there were a few more like her I think it would aid public engagement with politics.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Poly – you are correct, far more switched on to the PR machine and media. Perhaps this is what our reality TV culture society deserves and requires.

But I must be too old and out-of-touch as I find her crass, vulgar and self-serving…..of course, modern politicians!

I would rather the public engaged politically in other ways

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Which government is John Bercow a member of?

I suspect that he doesn’t personally decide how government money is spent. The government takes the decision on such matters. And the government can change the rules as they so wish. Responsibility lies with them. The same government which tells everyone else to tighten their belts.

It’s pretty clear that whilst the government says “we’re all in this together” what they really mean is “you’re all in this together”.

allthepies
    Free Member

Brian Sewell not impressed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15965193

Brian Sewell said the Speaker looked like “some bloke dug up from Essex”

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is this publicly-funded painting going to be viewable by the very public what paid for it?

Brian Sewell not impressed

Brian Sewell’s never impressed.

And if I ever meet him, it’s unlikely he’ll be impressed when I throw my own poo at him.

‘Oi! Sewell you stuck up ponce! ‘Ave thatyt!’

Bosh! Right in the mush. Some of it goes in his marf an’ everyfink. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY0bGLFGnL4[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this publicly-funded painting going to be viewable by the very public what paid for it?

If course it is, just pop down to the House of Commons and ask to see it.

And whilst you’re there, you could ask them to nip down to the cellar and get you a bottle of wine. I would go for a 1961 Chateau Latour. At £1,600 a glass it’s a tad expensive, but well worth it – it’s an amusing little wine which delights the palate.

Ministers’ secret wine cellar in St James’s

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They truly are scum, aren’t they? Spending taxpayers money on spensive foreign muck. They could at least support the UK economy by getting in some British Beer.

No that really is taking the piss, all that wine. No justification for that whatsoever.

the fine wine, bought for 30p, is among the most expensive of the 39,000 bottles in the cellar.

Furty pence???

A sailor cooduv lived for a month on furty pence, back then. 😐

An English sparkling wine will be served at the state banquet at Buckingham Palace for President Barack Obama’s visit this month, if approved by the Palace

Why not give them what actual British people drink? Far more appropriate…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Fine hock confiscated from the German Embassy in 1939 has long gone”

I bet the Queen had that. Couldn’t wait to get it down her German gullet no doubt.

MrSmith
    Free Member

singletracks very own oracle of reason and righteousness that is TJ?

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect that he doesn’t personally decide how government money is spent. The government takes the decision on such matters. And the government can change the rules as they so wish. Responsibility lies with them. The same government which tells everyone else to tighten their belts.

So you’re suggesting that the government tells the Speaker’s office what he’s allowed to spend money on? 😯

CountZero

I think the Speaker decides what he’s going to spend the taxpayers money on then does it regardless. I believe he had his office/appartment redecorated for some insane amount at the public expense and justified it. He’s an obnoxious little pipsqueak with a revolting slapper for a wife.
    They deserve each other.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

a revolting slapper for a wife.

Oof. Any justification for that bit of misogyny?

nickf
    Free Member

I think the Speaker decides what he’s going to spend the taxpayers money on then does it regardless. I believe he had his office/appartment redecorated for some insane amount at the public expense and justified it. He’s an obnoxious little pipsqueak with a revolting slapper for a wife.
    They deserve each other.

Always good to have an assertion backed up with no evidence. Top arguing.

By the way, it’s impossible for him to have had “an insane amount” spent on his apartment “and justified it.” If it’s an insane amount, it would be unjustifiable; if he’s justified it, the amount cannot be insane.

As for your comment about his wife….Sally’s lovely, and I’ll not have a word said against her. Nor against Bercow; though he was an absolute arse at university, he’s grown up and is now a thoroughly decent person. Anyone who, as speaker, is prepared to tell the PM to sit down and shut up (OK, slightly more parliamentary language was used) when he gets too pompous is fine by me.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

nickf, seen as you’re pally with the Bercows, perhaps you could remind him next time you meet up for drinkies that we’re all supposed to be in this together?

Thanks.

rootes1

looks to be quite a nice painting. How long did it take to complete?

Nice to have such things in life as with such frippery the world would be a very dull place..

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘No money for NHS pensions but Speaker Bercow spends £37K on a painting…’ is closed to new replies.