• This topic has 40 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • No iOS 14 thread?
  • footflaps

Anyone else upgraded to it?

Quite impressed it supports my archaic 6s phone. Other than FB asking for permission to scan my LAN (which I refused), not a lot of changes that I’ve noticed so far. The Alarm clock seems to have been made super complicated, now part of sleep in Health, which I did fiddle with then switched off and went back to the old style alarm.

Kuco

I’ve updated but not actually messed about with it yet.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just downloading it now!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

Quite a low key update, maybe loads of new things I’ve not discovered, but looks / feels very much live 13 (to me).

Although I did notice it has a built in CV-19 track and trace app which you can turn on.

Drac

Although I did notice it has a built in CV-19 track and trace app which you can turn on.

Just like 13.7

Not upgraded yet but will be soon.

easily
    Free Member

It caught a lot of developers by surprise, so not many apps have taken advantage of the changes yet.

I quite like the widgets. It’s odd that on a phone you can place widgets anywhere, but on an iPad they must be in the ‘today’ area (I think that’s what it’s called – the bit to the left of the home screen). Can anyone think of a reason Apple have done it like this?

somafunk

Spatial audio using AirPods pro is freaking amazing, watched interstellar (for the umpteenth time) last night in dolby atmos and i now want a full atmos system in my room

zilog6128

Didn’t even know it was coming (so out of the loop 🤣) Downloading to my 6S now. Third Party Default Apps is something I’ve been wanting for ages so that’s cool, Compact Phone Calls sounds like an obvious improvement too!

Drac

The Apple Maps app has cycling directions for bike commuters and cyclists, with the directions taking into account elevation, how busy a street is, and whether there are stairs along the route. For those who own electric vehicles, there’s an option to route with EV charging stops customized for current vehicle and charger types.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ios-14/

Alex

Just upgraded my 11. Like the widgets (especially the stacked ones) and the app library. I had so many folders most of the time I searched for an app anyway. Now I’ve two screens of my most used ones and no folders.

Not too many apps you can stack at the mo. And a bit annoying that the swipe right screen puts all third party widgets to the bottom. Otherwise so far so good. Seems very responsive as well.

kelvin

Other than FB asking for permission to scan my LAN

That’s good. I hate the way FB advertising is influenced by the recent behaviour of other people using the same wirelesses network as me. If Apple have made it harder for them to keep doing this, without permission, that’s a win for me.

Alex

If Apple have made it harder for them to keep doing this, without permission, that’s a win for me.

I just checked the privacy setting. LAN Is off by default for all apps. Just had to turn it on for SONOS app.

Kryton57

Try turning it on and see what happens, assuming you’re in the Uk…

peterno51

It said I had to hammer bombers into next doors dog and put stripes up some frozen sausages?

tenfoot

Not “turned on” in my region. Useful then

Drac

What’s supposed to happen I’ve turned it on?

ratherbeintobago

@kelvin Facebook is deeply unhappy about this. Given the behaviour of both the company and Zuckerberg I have a violin that can only be seen on electron scanning.

peterno51

What’s supposed to happen I’ve turned it on?

Nothing yet, it only kicks in when your local health service has an app that makes use of it and Apple integrate it.

There’s a similar program in development for Android.

peterno51

Local in this case I think means State, this may even be broken down in our case to Scotland, Wales and England.

Drac

Nothing yet, it only kicks in when your local health service has an app that makes use of it and Apple integrate it.

I guessed that but @kryton57 hinted something would Happen.

xora

It works in Scotland 😀

Kryton57

I guessed that but  @kryton57 hinted something would Happen.

It was an ironic post, in that here in the UK when you switch it on expecting it to connect to our world class track and trace system, it produces an error which states it does not function in your region…

RDL-82
    Free Member

Anyone else having issues watching embedded YouTube videos in posts on this site (possibly others too but not come across anywhere else with something I want to watch!) since upgrading to IOS14?

Press play and it just disappears for me.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Never mind. Just gone on the YouTube app to watch that ‘one breath’ video. Come back on here and videos now play. No idea what that’s about!

Drac

It was an ironic post, in that here in the UK when you switch it on expecting it to connect to our world class track and trace system, it produces an error which states it does not function in your region…

Ah! Right. I didn’t get an error.

jimdubleyou

puts all third party widgets to the bottom.

It puts all non-iOS 14 widgets at the bottom. Citymapper already have theirs out.

jam-bo

Back tap is handy although they could open up what it can do a bit more.

Better camera controls.

App Library is good. Down to a single page now and search for the rest.

CountZero

Anyone else having issues watching embedded YouTube videos in posts on this site (possibly others too but not come across anywhere else with something I want to watch!) since upgrading to IOS14?

Press play and it just disappears for me.

Yeah, it will – YouTube want you to pay for the privilege… 🤪

For some reason I can’t seem to get the widget thing up and running. Not that I’m especially bovvered, but it would be nice to have some functioning widgets on my Home Screen.

Drac

Press and hold on the screen, click the plus sign and choose the widgets of your liking.

easily
    Free Member

Back Tap is a great idea, but my archaic 6S doesn’t support it.

I’m hoping for a good sticky note widget. There are a couple, but none that are much use so far. I love sticky notes.

Houns

Nice to see they’ve sorted the changing to capitals when you go back to insert a letter you’ve missed when typing some text, which appeared with the last 13 update

That was a pain in the derRière

franksinatra

What does back tap do, how do I do it?

jam-bo

Settings>accessibility>touch>enable back tap

Set what you want two taps or three taps to do.

phil5556

It might be handy if I ever remember it exists.

b33k34

That’s good. I hate the way FB advertising is influenced by the recent behaviour of other people using the same wirelesses network as me. If Apple have made it harder for them to keep doing this, without permission, that’s a win for me.

that explains a lot…

white101

Whats a widget?

mashr

I think I like the library…..when I remember it’s there

footflaps

Pre 14 the AppStore just wanted my finger print to authorise downloading an App, whereas with 14 it wants my iTunes password. Any idea how to switch back to finger print?

jam-bo

Under Face ID and passcode I have an option to enable app store

footflaps

Under Face ID and passcode I have an option to enable app store

Yep, iTunes and AppStore is on…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘No iOS 14 thread?’ is closed to new replies.