Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • No helmets – Why? Are they mad?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

its a question ive always wanted to ask TJ, and didnt see the point of starting a whole new thread.

i understand the research will be different etc, but opinion on this seems so strong i wondered if TJ and the other anti-helmets would extend this policy to other things in life that might involve taking a knock on the noggin? (not just sports)

T666DOM

Ah the thread that refuses to die.

TJ you must use cut and paste to prevent RSI.

Out of interest any research been done to see how well helmets skid across the ground? Last time I had an off on the road, cracked the left side of my helmet on the tarmac and it just skidded along, didn’t seem to rotate my neck at all. (obviously anecdotal I know) Maybe I was just lucky.

maxlite
    Free Member

TJ do you automatically get an email when the word ‘helmet’ appears on the forum?

kobra2771
    Free Member

FFS TJ, enough of the pics, not everyone loves that thing as much as u! I think your actually worried about helmet hair more than cracked skull, am I right!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK, I can’t resist. Regardless of what the research says, I have had too many offs that have resulted in landing on my head – and in some cases cracking helmets – that I’m not about to stop wearing them…

…unless they become hideously unfashionable 😆

timc
    Free Member

If people don’t want to wear a helmet, fair enough, arguing that there are no benefit’s to wearing one is just acting a ****! behave you clowns

glenp
    Free Member

Just because someone doesn’t think helmets should not be compulsory, either legally or just socially speaking, doesn’t mean they are anti-helmet – more likely just pro-choice.

As for helmets on building sites – it might be a more telling question to consider an activity which does produce head injuries, but where helmets aren’t normally worn – like driving a car for example.

glenp
    Free Member

I don’t think most people are saying that they have no benefit whatsoever – more like the benefits may well be misunderstood and exaggerated, especially when active safety effects such as riding more defensively are taken into account. The assumption that a helmet will do everything for you and keep you 100% safe is just as dumb as the claim that not wearing a helmet means certain death.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

T666DOM

Yes – plenty. have a look on http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1182.html for discussion and links and I have found others in peer reviewed journals

philconsequence

Its all about two things to me. Evidence based practice and risk assessment. so the answer is ” it depends”

Kobra – 🙂

How about this one then? Note wheels off the ground = helmets on heads

tandem jump by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Watch the crash real at the end of bike films.

MTB: Lots of dust (nothing’s filmed int he UK :p )

BMX: Invariably a lot of blood, usualy from the head.

Which branch of the sport has a high rate of helmet wearing?

On holliday I was (lightly) ribbed for being the only guy in a full face, end of day one one of the other guys was offering 300euro (I think he was half joking) after trashing his Fox Flux and taking a chunk out of his upper lip.

Even if it only prevents ‘minor’ injuries like cuts and concussion I think its worthwhile.

T666DOM

No offence TJ, thanks but no thanks. Life’s too short for dry articles , I always wear a helmet on the bike whatever the terrain or journey length. That’s my choice, and whatever people decide is up to them be it helmet or no helmet.
    The advantage of a democracy is you can do what you want however foolish others may perceive it!

psling
    Free Member
    pastcaring
    Free Member

@ tj

your other half is braver than me! there’s no way i’d be happy getting air on a tandem.
    you must of been going pretty quick to get both wheels off the ground.

beanieripper
    Free Member

this makes me laugh, ive been mtbing for 19 years, never wear a helmet apart from trail centres where i feel pressured to wear one, leave people to make their own risk assesment..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No helmets – are they mad?

molgrips
    Free Member

Right so he rips his FACE so should wear a helmet that has no face coverage?

Hang on.. helmets stick out at the front, so if you land face first you only graze your chin and the end of your nose, surely? In the two helmet trashing accidents I’ve borne close witness to, that’s exactly what happened. They were faceplants, and the bit of helmet sticking out of the front protected the face.

That’s why it’s stupid to wear them sat on the back of your head like you see sometimes.

DenDennis
    Free Member

go on then, I’ll bite.
    say you went over the bars and bumped your head at fairly low speed on this:
    which outcome is most likely:
    A) your head hurts less with a helmet on,
    B) the helmet makes no difference or might make injury worse…?

speaking from personal experience of similar offs on rocky trails, I know which answer I’d give 😐

rudedog
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is why people get so upset and insulting toward people not wearing helmets – people like TJ aren’t saying that its wrong to wear helmets and that there is absolutely no need for them, all they are saying is that in some situations they are not as useful as they are made out to be and its up to the individual to calculate the risk and decide if the type of cycling they are doing warrants wearing a helmet or not.

Seems a simple enough concept to me – Personally, I wear a helmet pretty much all the time but that’s my choice. I certainly don’t feel threatened by the fact other people have different opinions on the issue.

aP
    Free Member

I know car drivers who’ve told me that because cyclists quite often wear a helmet it was perfectly OK to run into them because the helmet would stop them being injured.
    I tend to wear a helmet but I don’t always, I don’t care either way really, however, take a look at countries with extremely high cycle use and compare helmet wearing figures with those countries that have extremely litigious societies and have devolved responsibility for injury away from the main causes to the main affected.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I don’t care anymore if people don’t want to wear helmets, its when the small majority sue because they have taken a knock to the head.

Choice is always the better option.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thank you rudedog. someone understands!

molgrips
    Free Member

its up to the individual to calculate the risk

Yeah but individuals are notoriously bad about calculating risk. Not that many years ago people would drink loads then drive home without a seatbelt and a baby loose on the back seat without a second thought.

Northwind

Here is my unhelpful contribution- most stats show that cyclists riding offroad are massively more likely to suffer a damaging knee injury than a damaging head injury. And the case for kneepads preventing injury is stronger than the case for helmets, and there’s no argument at all that kneepads cause injury or increase the severity of injury.

Yet if you wear knee pads, you’re a poof, whereas if you don’t wear a helmet, you’re a moron.

So if you’re in this thread pouring scorn on people who don’t wear helmets, I hope you wear knee pads :mrgreen:

DenDennis
    Free Member

here’s a quote from one of the ‘studies’ referred to earlier:

While it must be acknowledged that police casualty reports are prone to under-reporting, particularly of incidents involving lower severity casualties the attractive feature of these data are that by definition they only concern road casualties.

that says quite a lot I think. Its all about the sample taken containing only examples of the point that is being made. Nicholas Taleb explains it a lot better than I could in The Black Swan/Fooled by Randomness, both excellent reads regardless of whether you wear a helmet or not

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

aP – Member
    I know car drivers who’ve told me that because cyclists quite often wear a helmet it was perfectly OK to run into them…

Hold on…you know car drivers, plural, who think it’s OK to run into cyclists because they’re wearing a helmet? Really? Either you hang around with monstrous bell-ends, or you’re full of shit! Which is it?

For the purpose of the perpetual STW helmet-debate-a-thon, I’ve had one potentially serious off this year, OTB on a 3-4′ drop-off, full force on me bonce. Glad I had my helmet on…slightly dazed and on my way in a minute or two. No idea whether I’d have suffered anything more serious without it, but I’m sure it would have hurt a tad more. Agree 100% with TJ though, that it’s not always necessary and people should be smart enough to make a sensible choice – I think his two tandem photos illustrate this perfectly.

nacho
    Free Member

These helmet threads are funny and great debate. PLenty of people glad they were wearing on in crashes. I have never met anyone say “so glad I wasn’t wearing a helmet, I avoided that rotational injury” (has anyone?)
    I almost always wear one as I never know when I will come off and except maybe in the odd case it has to be reduce the risk of injury no matter what scientific report anyone can come up with. This convinced me though….. Cheers Josh

rudedog
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Yeah but individuals are notoriously bad about calculating risk. Not that many years ago people would drink loads then drive home without a seatbelt and a baby loose on the back seat without a second thought.

Intoxication through alcohol actually impairs your ability to calculate risk so that’s a pretty poor analogy.

Woody
    Free Member

I am happy for people not to wear helmet… As long as they pay for their own NHS bills :p

…………………………….

Odd lot the French – sorting out the UK Health Service from a country where you have to go and buy your own sutures and pay before they will treat you 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On the helmets debate people vastly overstate the odds,

cycling is a safe pursuit and head injury rates are low.

Woody
    Free Member

TJ – I can’t believe you have been drawn into this yet again. Must be all that cold wind in your hair clouding your judgement 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yeah I know. I been attempting to give info to people when they asked for it.

And take the piss a bit as well

Must be the hole in my head

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Tomato soup and garlic bread rocks!

toys19
    Free Member

Yet if you wear knee pads, you’re a poof, whereas if you don’t wear a helmet, you’re a moron.

Northwind, good point, I hate the whole anti stormtrooper thing, I wear lots of protection for most of my riding, the last thing I need is a broken bone or a joint injury. Have had lots of wipe outs recently, very glad that I had my padded shorts, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and full face, and bollocks to anyone who wants to critisize me. The rest of you wear what you like I don’t care and won’t push anything.

But I draw the line at kids, I believe in lids and other protection, and my kids have to wear it, so this is where the freedom of choice argument falls down?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kids. Hmmmmmmmmmm Several points

Are they capable of making a rational assessment ( gillick competence)
    Young kids skulls are softer, some kids skills are crap, some take lots of risks.

I think its recognised morally and legally that adults can and must make decisions for kids in some circumstances.

Just make sure that their helmets fit and are done up properly.

As an aside – how many of you helmet evangelists wear them properly – less than half even of serious mtbers IME Most have the straps loose

aP
    Free Member

Rusty nobheadcheese – I’ve pretty much cycled 4+ times a week every week since 1986, I meet lots of people, sometimes they’re not very nice. You might want to wind your neck in before you go back to school tomorrow or you’ll get detention. 😐

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’m sorry aP, you’ve confused me. Don’t feel bad, it’s easily done.

What is the correlation between the number of times you go out cycling each week, vs the number of car drivers who you claim are happy to mow down cyclists, based solely on the fact that they’re wearing helmets and as such are adequately protected against motor vehicles…therefore fair game for their hit-and-run antics? You see, I know dozens of people (I don’t mean to boast, I’m a popular guy) but I don’t know anyone who drives a car and would be prepared to hold their hand up to that sort of cock-noshing twaddle. So either you know a lot of monstrous bell-ends, or you’re getting carried away with your posting.

School tomorrow? I wish! Kids these days, they don’t know they’re born…

p.s. Rusty nobheadcheese…I like it 😀 although Rusty Smegma may have been a more erudite insult.

coastkid
    Free Member

I still managed to fracture my skull in a DH accident 5 years ago at Inneliethen punching a big hole in a cheekbone despite wearing a Giro DH helmet which now i think has crap protection compared to a motocross helmet…
    yeah downhill riding is more severe than xc riding with grave consequences from a mistake…but…folk on here are talking about riding easy xc trails/roads without helmets…
    the folk on here like my friend TJ who chooses to ride (and the other riders) without a helmet arnt going around shouting about it and trying to enforce there views on everyone else, they have made there choice and are only on here saying why they choose to ride lid-less…
    seems its the other folk who have an issue about it…
    i see folk riding horses without helmets on the beach alot..
    and come the cold of winter i too ride beaches with head wrapped up in a beanie…as do most winter Alaskan/snow bikers..over solid icy (dangerous?) ground. Dutch cyclists dont where helmets, but there country is educated and open armed to cyclists…
    More folk are suffering injuries and health disorders from smoking and drinking in the UK than cycling head injuries…
    cycling is one of the few last acts of freedom we can do…we can now go where we want-well here in Scotland anyway, lets enjoy that freedom however we want to… 😮

MentalMickey
    Free Member

rudedog – Member
    What I don’t understand is why people get so upset and insulting toward people not wearing helmets – people like TJ aren’t saying that its wrong to wear helmets and that there is absolutely no need for them, all they are saying is that in some situations they are not as useful as they are made out to be and its up to the individual to calculate the risk and decide if the type of cycling they are doing warrants wearing a helmet or not.

Seems a simple enough concept to me – Personally, I wear a helmet pretty much all the time but that’s my choice. I certainly don’t feel threatened by the fact other people have different opinions on the issue.

I agree.

TJ’s first pic shows a nice easy trail without helmets, quite sensibly TJ and his tandem partner are wearing helmets for the 2nd pic which shows something a little more technical to ride.

Two perfectly acceptable scenarios there.

Similarly, I often ‘nip into town’ using off road cycle lanes, I don’t wear a helmet for this as I’m A) Not using the roads whatsoever and B) Not riding anything technical. Should I choose to use the roads, I also choose a helmet but this is my choice and I certainly would not judge others should they choose not to.

Off road technical singletrack I use standard lids the majority of the time, sometimes combined with pads, sometimes I wear a Met Parachute and yes I am aware it;s no substitute for full face but it does give me a little more confidence knowing that chin guard will probably take some of the force whilst snapping on impact. I’m also considering a full face for winter as you can pick up some bargains and I reckon I’ll handle the heat inside while it’s so cold outside.

Funnily enough, you also get judged for wearing protection by those that like to sneer ‘over armoured weekend warrior no idea boy’, they might be right, I wear this stuff when I up my game to something outside my comfort zone with the theory I can return to these obstacles with standard lid one day in the knowledge I now have a bit more skill and know how,or carry on with the higher protection, it’s my adult head not theirs. What’s wrong with that?

Either way, you wear too much, you’re judged, wear too little, you’re judged. It’s a no win situation.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah but individuals are notoriously bad about calculating risk

Indeed. That would explain why so many people think it’s essential to wear a helmet whilst riding a bike, but to wear one whilst walking or driving is just stupid.

RealMan
    Free Member

I barely ever wear a helmet when I ride my bmx. Except sometimes when I’m down at the track.

The bike I fall off the most? Yeah, you’re right, its my unicycle. But I fall off my bmx a lot as well, never hit my head.

Hit my head pretty hard coming off my mtb and road bike though, reckon helmet saved me there.

But if you don’t want to wear it, I don’t care. But I think you should wear it if you plan on riding with other people.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘No helmets – Why? Are they mad?’ is closed to new replies.