Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • No helmet?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Saw a man and a young child on a bike earlier on the road, the kid was on a small chair mounted at the back of the bike. Neither of them had helmets…

Are these kind of people dumb or just cheap-skates?? 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHH!

user-removed
    Free Member

Go away.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

wont someone think of the. . . . . .

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Rofl Harris 😆

fasthaggis

Were they using flats or SPDs ?

bullheart
    Free Member

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Flats lol.

donsimon
    Free Member

Lycra, baggies or a clever mix of both?

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆

hugor
    Free Member

What tires would be best for a 29er with a rear mounted childseat travelling on a city path full of horse dung?

miketually
    Free Member

Saw a man and a young child in a car earlier on the road, the kid was on a small chair mounted on the back seat of the car. Neither of them had helmets…

Bez

I had the entire family of three on one bike at the weekend, with not a whiff of polystyrene between us.

It were lovely, it were.

pilgrim
    Free Member

fasthaggis

Tsk! Some people ,not a life jacket in sight.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fasthaggis – thats some contraption. Yours?

Bez

That trailer looks an awesome way of scaring the shit out of your kid, where do I get one? 😀

dawson

and also covering your kid in shit..

Junkyard
    Free Member

well what happens is you get a mummy mtb and a daddy mtb and when they really love each other ……

fenred
    Free Member

Thats not a trailer its a wheelchair AND the kid has a flag pole impalled in its head. Still, good to see the parents are having fun…Sadistic b*stards!

matt_outandabout

lol

awesome ride!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At least they have helmets on

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    At least they have helmets on

Quoted for posterity.

AndyRT
    Free Member

All I know is that in my 20 odd years of mountain biking I’ve had 2 major crashes, and witnessed 3 more, and all of those ended with crushed helmets. God knows what would have happened if we had made the individualist choice of not wearing safety gear.

Its a free country, and those that choose not to are entitled to their choice.

Just as I am entitled to think of them as selfish idiots.

Bez

Am I entitled to go “meh meh meh meh meh mmmmeeeeeehhhhhhhhh”?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Apparently, yes

But

Why?

Bez

Excellent.

Meh meh meh meh meh mmmmeeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Why?

Cos the argument’s been done a million times and sometimes trying to urinate on it to put it out seems a better option than trying to convince people that it’s not a black-and-white issue 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AndyRT – Member

All I know is that in my 20 odd years of mountain biking I’ve had 2 major crashes, and witnessed 3 more, and all of those ended with crushed helmets. God knows what would have happened if we had made the individualist choice of not wearing safety gear.

Indeed – only god knows cos no one living does. you might not have had the accident at all, the helmet may have reduced injury,the helmet may have made no difference at all, the helmet might have increased injury. these are the possible options.

My advice to you would be – stop crashing. Not wearing helmets makes you less likely to crash ( well its one possible explanation for the lack of evidence of helmets stopping injury in population studies)

If you are really interested have search on here. too many long threads debate this. It saddens me that people think helmets are needed all the time. cycling is safe pursuit.

This is a reasonably rational look at the topic

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=4688

iain1775
    Free Member

That baggy Lycra is the funniest thing I’ve seen today at least since the nigella video

AndyRT
    Free Member

Indulge me.

What is so ambiguous upon providing limited protection for your skull in the likely event of an off when mucking about on mountain bikes, let alone low hanging branches.

I’m under no illusion upon cycle helmets providing life assurance in a big stack, but getting older and more aware of consequences(not forgetting responsibilities to your immediate family). I don’t fall off a lot, but now and again the karma bank makes a withdrawal my body can’t cash, and that’s fine by me, because risk is part of the reward. I just think bouncing off a tree, or smearing myself into Tarmac are 2 things I’d personally prefer to do whilst wearing something able to limit gravel rash or a permanent dent in the shape of an oak tree.

I apply the same logic to motorbiking, and in that universe there’s a saying:
    Cheap head, cheap lid.

fasthaggis

It’s not only pussies that wear helmets you know 😀

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

No helmet?

Not since my operation, no. Which reminds me, I must get a wsd specific saddle.

yunki
    Free Member

I expect these to be the next must have accessory at trailcentres all around the UK..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULNnKjb6Igk&feature=related[/video]

GW
    Free Member

“Indulge me.

What is so ambiguous upon providing limited protection for your skull in the likely event of an off when mucking about on mountain bikes, let alone low hanging branches”.

Uh? were you trying to sound intelligent? 😕

yunki
    Free Member

edited

Bez

What is so ambiguous upon providing limited protection for your skull in the likely event of an off when mucking about on mountain bikes, let alone low hanging branches.

Well, the OP was talking about the road, not mucking about on mountain bikes. The likelihood of various scenarios differ quite markedly between the two. The sort of mountain biking that most people on here would indulge in of a weekend is the sort of stuff where you’ve got a pretty high risk of getting into an incident where a helmet is designed to provide benefit. An experienced and cautious cyclist on a rural road, on the other hand, probably has negligible risk of most incidents; the most significant perhaps is being wiped out from behind by a car travelling at high speed, where a helmet is likely to be well outside its designed parameters. Equally, for a family jaunt round some quiet fire roads there’s probably less risk of a fall than there is whilst, say, jogging.

There are less obvious factors as well. There is evidence to suggest not only that (for whatever reason, and the cause/effect may go either way) unhelmeted riders may be less likely to have an accident, but – perhaps more significantly – that motorists are more likely to give unhelmeted riders more room, thus reducing the likelihood of an accident. (And I’m sure we’d agree that avoiding an incident is preferable to being involved in an incident which is of a severity and nature at which a helmet makes a substantive difference to the outcome. (Remember that for any incident which is too minor or too severe for that to be the case, there’s no safety benefit to wearing a helmet – the thing of course is that those boundaries are virtually impossible to identify accurately.)

There are numerous peripheral things not related to personal safety: such as whether you think helmets propagate the perception of cycling being more dangerous than it really is; whether you find a helmet a bit of an annoyance; whether you’re implicitly going to accuse all Sikhs of having a cheap head. Trivial in isolation, but they add up. Personally I find the rare occasions I ride without a lid are more pleasing because of it – in no small part, cycling’s about freedom.

(And yes, I always wear one for ‘proper’ off-road rides. And always for commuting. And usually for weekend road rides – sometimes for slow rides on dry summer roads I indulge in a bare head. But very rarely for popping to the shops, for touring, or for family pootles round fire roads. Yes, there’s always the outside chance I’ll find myself in an accident where I wasn’t wearing a helmet, could have worn a helmet, and the helmet would have made a real difference… but that combination seems far more likely to arise when I’m not on a bicycle than when I am.)

On which note, I’m going to go to bed, and try not to trip on the stairs and bang my head on the wall whilst doing so 😉

michaelmcc
    Free Member

There are less obvious factors as well. There is evidence to suggest not only that (for whatever reason, and the cause/effect may go either way) unhelmeted riders may be less likely to have an accident, but – perhaps more significantly – that motorists are more likely to give unhelmeted riders more room, thus reducing the likelihood of an accident

I did read a study about that a while back. Seems slightly bizare in a way think, the car driver mindset of “he’s wearing lycra and helmet so must be a good cyclist, he won’t mind if i brush past him and nearly knock him off then”..

Didn’t know this topic had been done mucgh before which it sounds like it has going by the responses! It just got to me when i saw it.. the child doesn’t have a choice.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Fair enough. I have actually stopped riding a road bike, although I really enjoyed it, simply because I was having far to many near death experiences from cars, and also I got really bored of having stuff lobbed at me, such as bottles and more of a concern; beer cans from passing vehicles 😯

But if I were to ride on quiet country lanes, I would probably wear a helmet out of pure habit. TBH a high speed road ride crash will hurt more than an off road one I think, but I’m not sure full body armour suits road rider chic

miketually
    Free Member

Bez said all that needs saying, but I’ll just add: why likely? In 20 years of MTBing, I’ve not once damaged my head or my helmet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘No helmet?’ is closed to new replies.