Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • No handed wheelies
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

When did this become possible?

When I was a lad I could never master wheelies. Even when I finished biking I would say my record was a modest 10 pedal strokes. Imagine my sheer dumbfoundedness when I see the local lads doing wheelies the full length of our road, in complete control and going over speed bumps with no hands on the bars doing a full wheelie.

I think some kids have mutant genes

How is this even possible

kayak23

Infuriating isn’t it? :-/

tomhoward

How is this even possible

same way a unicycle is possible

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

But a unicycle is nothing like finding the balance point of a wheelie and then actually controlling all that metal that’s up in the air. It just simply shouldn’t be possible.

trailwagger
    Free Member

same way a unicycle is possible

except I doubt the local chavs are riding fixies

greyspoke
    Free Member

Is it really a wheelie? Depends on whether use of the rear brake to control the bike* is considered an essential element that distinguishes a wheelie from a manual I guess.

*unless wheelying on a coaster-braked bike of course.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

They are no handed and only thing they are using is their pedal strokes. Rear is normal rear mechs etc. It’s bloody amazing

tomhoward

except I doubt the local chavs are riding fixies

Why would it matter if they are constantly pedalling?

kerley
    Free Member

I could do them when I was in early teens, it is still a balance point thing whether 2 hands, one hand or no hands. I also did a (hands on) wheelie for over 2 miles. I now ride only fixed gear so a wheelie is a lot more like a unicycle and can stop on the spot on back wheel (although probably easier on a unicycle due to lower gearing)

What were you lot doing on your bikes when you were young if you didn’t even master the wheelie?

timbog160

I don’t believe it – I think you must be mistaken…

geex
    Free Member

Good thigh gripping strength is the key 😉

Is it really a wheelie? Depends on whether use of the rear brake to control the bike* is considered an essential element that distinguishes a wheelie from a manual I guess.

Yes it’s a wheelie. ie. pedal controlled riding on rear wheel only while seated or standing.
    manual = stood up body weight controlled riding on rear wheel only.
    Both wheelies and manuals are purer with no brake used.
    A coaster wheelie is performed sat down with no pedalling and generally rear brake controlled. (but can be done brakeless too)

trailwagger
    Free Member

Why would it matter if they are constantly pedalling?

Because that’s why a no handed wheelie is nothing like riding a unicycle

geex
    Free Member

Think of it as a no handed (so obviously brakeless) coaster wheelie to get your head round the control required

matt_outandabout

Even a one handed impresses me. Eldest_OAB in smug mode.

greyspoke
    Free Member

But it isn’t 100% pedal controlled. Pedal to correct one way, not the other way. But clearly the wheelie/manual distinction is a multi-factorial kind of thing, with plenty of in-between cases.

sirromj

Did my best wheelie today for over 25+ years, nearly 2/3rds of the way across a very small car park.

geex
    Free Member

Dude the universal measurement of the wheelie isn’t car parks. it’s…
    in order:
    car park spaces
    white lines
    lamp posts
    streets

matt_outandabout

car park spaces
    white lines
    lamp posts
    streets

Double points if there is a member of the opposite sex present to observe (whether they want to observe or not)

geex
    Free Member

So homophobic 😉

How’s the reading going?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I feel uncomfortable videoing these lads but as they are no handed. there is zero brakes and these are full on geared bikes without pedal brakes etc so no tom foolery involved.

It’s a kinda magic I tell thee

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

What do you mean Geex

matt_outandabout

How’s the reading going?

Well reminded….

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Eh?

tdog
    Free Member

I did one once as a teenager but ask me to do one and I’d fail!

doug_basqueMTB.com

One of the local lads, who rides for Orbea, holds the world record wheelie. When he was training for it his Instagram was full of wheelies no handed eating breakfast and reading the paper. I can wheelie not bad but one handed eludes me and I can’t understand no hands. Igor one of my guides can no foot manual, we call it the gooch-scootch. Again it shouldn’t be possible, I can’t understand it!

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I could kind of do them in the 80’s on my Raleigh Burner, with a layback seatpost – at least enough to spin the bars, and stay in a wheelie. It’s just finding the balance point, which was really easy on a BMX with a layback. You only need the brake if you’re about to go over the back.

I can still do a decent-ish wheelie now every 1 in 3 attempts, no way i’m taking my hands off the bars!

funkmasterp

I’m agreeing with OP here. Magic is afoot!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I remember a kid at my old BMX club trying no handed dork wheelies. Don’t think he ever got it

joemmo
    Free Member

OP – if a no-handed wheelie is blowing your mind. you might want to take a seat before you watch this.

welshfarmer

Has anyone mentioned Viola Brand yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ2HyfWCq8g

windyg
    Free Member

Peter Sagan wheelies are epic

yohandsome
    Free Member

Should be banned like skateboarding in Norway in the 70s 😁

noltae
    Free Member

Little Harry 15 & Jake 100 on YouTube are doing a lot for the no handed wheelie phenomenon..

DrP

I can wheelie forever… one handed wheelie for ‘a long distance’…but the physics of NO -HANDED WHEELIES eludes my clever brain, and I can’t do ’em!

DrP

5lab

on a similar note, I was on holiday recently and there were a load of rental bikes that the locals would go round sweeping up at the end of the day, bringing them back to their base. The recognised way of doing this appeared to be to ride no handed, but with each hand on the bar of a bike alongside you (ie, 3 bikes abrest, you’re sitting/pedalling the middle one and holding the bars of the other 2). No idea how you get started, or stop..

like this -> https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-boy-creole-riding-a-bicycle-whilst-bushing-two-bicycles-la-digue-seychelles-50934330.html

geex
    Free Member

@5lab that’s not actually very difficult to do at all. the two bikes you’re not riding are like stabilisers. Try it. as soon as you get the hang of their steering it’s easy. you can even stop and stay upright without having to trackstand.

finbar
    Free Member

Some seriously odd comments on here about what consitutes a wheelie and a manual.

It’s pretty simple: manual, no pedalling – wheelie, pedalling.

There’s a bit of a continuum – you could transition from a wheelie to a seated manual, for example, but it ain’t that hard to explain.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 breaks have nothing to do with manual or wheely.

philjunior
    Free Member

What were you lot doing on your bikes when you were young if you didn’t even master the wheelie

Riding XC. One of my mates had a riding buddy across the road – they both got very good at wheelies and things. When the kids start to learn, I’ll have to knock my hours down so I can hang around with them lol.

In terms of the physics of it, you can:
    1) pedal harder to get it up.
    2) pedal less to let it go down (these two give a pretty limited window)
    3) move the bike forwards and backwards to keep your cog over the cop of the back tyre’s interface with the road.

Essentially if you can do a brakeless manual, the physics are the same as 3).*

* I can’t do any sort of extended manual, and my wheelies are mediocre at best. But I assume this is a theory lesson.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well done everyone for not mentioning Viola Brand. Impressive stuff all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘No handed wheelies’ is closed to new replies.