Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • No Guy Martin Speed thread?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Guy Martin,
    Amy Williams,
    Skate boards,
    Cresta Run,
    Drag bikes
    and a parachute.

Job done.

IanMunro
    Free Member

And 2nd in Strathpuffer the following week!

mike399
    Free Member

Now get back there and get to the top of the hill, Guy!!!!!
    (do we reckon he reads these threads?, hahahhaha)

Pook

and one of the blokes from Ride Sheffield

wiggles
    Free Member

On +1 if anyone missed it.

In summary:
    Cool sled
    Amy Williams is fit
    F’in steep slope,trust me I’ve snowboarded/fallen down that run.
    Awesome record.

njee20
    Free Member

First I’ve watched, saw the last 15 minutes, not a fan of the exaggerated danger aspect that these things usually bring. Alpine skiers go a chunk faster after all. Fair play to him though.

Don’t look down putting it into perspective really.

professor_fate
    Free Member

I’ve found all four shows riveting in the build-up to the record attempts and could easily have watched longer versions. And that Cresta Run chappy certainly has a mouthful for a name/title “Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley, 6th Baron Wrottesley, 14th Baronet”. Ace entertainment, well done Chief!

BenjiM

Exaggerated danger? Christ, last week the guy was riding on water at 50 mph with a pretty good chance of drowning when he hit the water if he didn’t bail correctly and the bike dragged him down. The previous week he’s doing 110 mph on what’s effectively a hybrid bike, on sand? I guess this is week in week out stuff for you?

tomhoward

As very lovely as she is, Amy Williams made me laugh at the end..

‘Someone is going to have to do something pretty special to beat that!’

Err, yeah, like go from the top?

rossi46
    Free Member

Guys a legend, that mug of tea is gigantic!
    Anyway going back to episode 1- the cycle speed record- over 100mph on sand, i can’t even comprehend that!

And Laura Trott too 😛
    Not to mention the Bimota parked in the corner of the room 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I guess this is week in week out stuff for you?

I said this was the first one I’d watched, so not judging the previous ones. This seemed pretty tame, like I say, Alpine skiers go quicker in competition, let alone seeking records on a dead straight slope. Struck me as one of those records that’s just a bit odd, pointless even, rather than being a true feat of human extremes.

tonyg2003

Best part of it tonight.

Amy Williams – “I got to 92mph on my Olympic gold run”. Even Guy Martin was gobsmacked at that!

br
    Free Member

Err, yeah, like go from the top?

Except that friction and drag meant that they’d already chosen the optimal point – only way to go faster was less drag/friction?

I do like watching programmes where they explain the science in ‘Janet and John’ speak, Mythbusters is good for this too.

tomhoward

Except that friction and drag meant that they’d already chosen the optimal point – only way to go faster was less drag/friction?

Was it not because they were concerned for stopping distances if he went any faster? That’s how they sold it in the show anyway.

Gary_C

“Amy Williams is a lovely girl, she comes from Baaath…we don’t know where that is…probably somewhere near Bath”

Quality! 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I dont know why they didnt use speed skiing skis. The skis they had were DH racing skis which are very different and designed for turning, not going straight

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Science man with a big computer and complex mathematics calculated that his maximum speed on a 30 degree slope was 153mph. I lost interest after that

5thElefant
    Free Member

Was it not because they were concerned for stopping distances if he went any faster? That’s how they sold it in the show anyway.

That was it. They were scared they’d go so fast that they couldn’t stop. I suspect that wasn’t Guy’s idea…

Woody
    Free Member

I got the same impression and wondered if the insurers/H&S bods had a large influence on not going higher. I was also very surprised that it was only filmed a week ago!

Very entertaining all the same and Guy’s lack of concern re potential injury is amazing. He was lucky to get off with as few scrapes as he did when he came if the skateboard and lol that they got it from Matalan!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Very entertaining all the same and Guy’s lack of concern re potential injury is amazing. He was lucky to get off with as few scrapes as he did when he came if the skateboard and lol that they got it from Matalan!

His day job:

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Its Guys casual attitude that carries through all the episodes, its quite hard for the program makers to ‘build danger’ when Guy is so nonchalant about it all, watching him you have no doubt he will succeed.

Have you seen this great interview?

wwaswas

I’m more impressed he got 2nd at Strathpuffer than I was with this weeks one.

As with the hanging off structures prog straight after this weeks one mostly only required a disregard for personal safety rather than skill.

He did well on the drag bike, though 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I loved that comment about Bath, t’was reet funny dat. 😆

I missed the second half od last weeks, hoping to catch up soon. So far the programmes been very very entertaining and a great watch.
    I hope it’ll be back for more once it’s finished.

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Last night’s was great entertainment.

I do rather hope he shared a bottle or two with Lord Withington-Smythe-Withington or whatever his name was. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall if they had!

PJ266
    Free Member

I’m more impressed he got 2nd at Strathpuffer than I was with this weeks one.

Agreed! Still enjoyed the programme though.

tomhoward

Lord Withington-Smythe-Withington or whatever his name was.

Is that not you in Real Life flashy?

Is disappoint.

jekkyl

that Amy Williams was after a piece of guy, she kept touching him.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley, 6th Baron Wrottesley, 14th Baronet or Clif for short(I bet thats what Guy called him! after they kept calling him Martin).

Harry_the_Spider

that Amy Williams was after a piece of guy, she kept touching him.

An hour in a freezer in Castleford and she was all for grabbing his arse. Perhaps that is the secret.

Bunnyhop

Really enjoyable series.

Last nights was a definite favourite for me.
    Go Guy Go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tom, as soon as he appeared on the screen, I had visions of someone posting something like that on here! 😀

Bunnyhop

Flashy, you popped into my head at the moment too 😀

tomlevell

He’s apparently aiming at the world bike land speed record + pushing it above 200mph. BBC 5 live cycling program podcast.
    Apparently Audi own a long enough flat piece of tarmac in Germany.

That will be interesting.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

He’s an impressive man and it makes for great watching.

“Amy Williams is fit”. She’s no Rachael Atherton!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Enjoyed last night’s one. A few LOL moments for me…

The Cresta run piece…the minute they showed Shuttlecock corner where everyone comes off, you just knew Guy would be acquainting himself with the straw. And you knew even more when he said he wouldn’t be doing much braking.

Amy Williams (maybe not exact words): “I only met him an hour ago for the first time…he’s crazy!” (and that coming from someone who hits 90mph on a tray-on-rails!) 😀

Oh, and his first go on the skateboard. 😆 (though when I saw it in slowmo, I felt a bit guilty for laughing…he took a hell of a whack on his cheek!).

core

What I like about Guy & his TV shows, is that he’s really not that arsed about speed/danger and will have a go at anything, like going down the Cresta Run, what was it, 7 seconds off the world record time? After that little practice, he’s a nutter, and pretty down to earth, passionate about making and racing stuff.

5thElefant
    Free Member

7 seconds off the world record time?

I could probably get within 7 seconds of the 100m record. 7 seconds is a bloody long time.

wwaswas

I could probably get within 7 seconds of the 100m record.

Could you get within 10% of it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Could you get within 10% of it?

PWNED! 😆

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘No Guy Martin Speed thread?’ is closed to new replies.