Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • No fault insurance effect on car insurance
  • poolman
    Free Member

Last week my car was written off by a van who just shot out of a side road into us. Police came and van driver admitted he was not looking. My ins co confirm it is now a fully settled no fault claim.

I am a named driver on my brothers policy, the car is in his name.

So do i have to declare this for x years as a no fault settled claim?

Will my brother get an insurance increase because it is in his name?

I am sure I read on here that any future insurance cost uplift can be reclaimed to the van driver.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

njee20
    Free Member

So you were driving, as a named driver, on his insurance, in his car?

So do i have to declare this for x years as a no fault settled claim?

If you were driving then yes, you do.

If you keep insuring in the same way (with you as a named driver) then yes. If he now tells you to sod off and get your own insurance then probably not.

I am sure I read on here that any future insurance cost uplift can be reclaimed to the van driver.

Pass, that’s a new one on me.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Lets hope you are not actually the main driver your of your car which for insurance purposes your brother appears to own.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

My experience with a no fault claim (person wrote of my car while it was parked outside my house) is insurance will go up just because you have had a crash, they dont care whether you were in the vehicle or not.

IdleJon

If you keep insuring in the same way (with you as a named driver) then yes. If he now tells you to sod off and get your own insurance then probably not.

Yes, his premium will increase with most insurers. (I worked in a big insurance co for too long – can’t remember how we’d justify that, I’ve blocked it out! Essentially it’s tough, that’s the risk he took when he insured the car in that way. Or something.)

It’s possible to do it but you’d need to do it through your legal cover. It probably won’t be worth it, in terms of cost or time expended.

My experience with a no fault claim (person wrote of my car while it was parked outside my house) is insurance will go up just because you have had a crash, they dont care whether you were in the vehicle or not.

Has the risk of insuring you changed? Are you still parking the car in the same place despite the fact that someone crashed into on that spot? That’s how insurers look at it. (Answer is yes, the risk of insuring has very obviously just increased.)

lowey

Just fallen foul of this.

Last May I was hit be a motorbike. I contacted my insurance company who provided a hire car. The third party admitted full liability and all my insurance companies costs were met. I got a letter stating this to be the case and that my no Claims was not affected.

Fast forward to last December and I renew my daughters policy with me as a named driver (this usually reduces her premium). On the application I stated that I had no claims in the last five years, thinking that my no fault claim would not count.

It transpired that her insurance company did a check and it revealed my fully settled no fault claim. Long story short, they demanded another £124 on her policy to have me on as a named driver. They stated this was because of my claim.

My partner renewed her policy this month with me as a named driver and also a check price without me. Declaring my claim increased her policy by £80.

TL;DR yes, a no fault claim will increase your own insurance costs going forward. I would suggest if you have a no fault accident, do not even contact your own insurer and let the third parties insurance deal with it.

Its an absolute scandal. It has further cemented my utter hatred of insurance company thieves. Along with ripping old people off over renewal fee’s etc etc. As far as I am concerned they are no better than people who burgle you.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had a no fault claim 18 months ago, renewal actually went down, so it doesn’t always go up.

Cougar

I just wrote about this on the other insurance thread. Exactly the same happened to me, it’s not a no-fault claim, insurance classify it as an at-fault because there’s no third party to claim against.

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks everyone thats really useful. Surely if i had just got the counterpartys insurance to sort it all out i would still have to declare it.

Much appreciated the positive comments.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

It was/is my neighbour who did it, she took out another two cars at the same time. I guess since she is still my neighbour the risk is still there, although as far as I am aware she does not drive anymore.

IdleJon

Surely if i had just got the counterpartys insurance to sort it all out i would still have to declare it.

Yes you would.

Rich_s

Surely if i had just got the counterpartys insurance to sort it all out i would still have to declare it.

Yes. The question you are asked is (something like) “Accidents, claims or incidents”. Doesn’t matter if a claim was made or not; nor does it matter whose policy a claim was made against.

Main advantage of going direct against the fault party’s insurance is that you’ll not have an excess to pay. Downsides of doing it are many and varied – including no guarantee of service or repairs, or even that the settlement may be “fair”.

votchy
    Free Member

My wife had a no fault full recovery last year, no claims protected, her insurance renewal £20 cheaper than last year, having her as a named driver on our kids policies has still worked in their favour at renewal time ie cheaper with mom as named driver even after claim rather than without.

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks again, yes we had no excess to pay as full costs were paid by the counterparty.

So some ins goes up some go down. I am more miffed by the counterpartys lack of responsibility checking on the welfare of us at the scene, all emergency services came as my elderly mother could not get out. Van was a blue chip company, it does look bad for the company whose logo is plastered all over the van.

Anyway, rant over, thanks again all posts. We are both fine.

submarined
    Free Member

I had someone since in the back of my wife’s car, which I was driving at the time, about 5 years ago.
    All costs we’re fully recovered from the other driver, and since then neither of oer policies have gone up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My wife had a no fault full recovery last year, no claims protected, her insurance renewal £20 cheaper than last year

Yes, but her renewal would have been even less if she hadn’t had the no-fault claim.

Rich_s

I had someone since in the back of my wife’s car,

Does she know?

bigyan
    Free Member

You are normally required to inform your insurance company if you have been involved in an accident in the last 5 years, regardless of blame.

submarined
    Free Member

Does she know

Chuckles at my autocorrect. Irony being it was an MX5 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

One of my neighbours reversed into my parked car a couple of years back. All sorted under their insurance however due to there being a claim all of my vehicle insurances went up. In fact I’d have been a lot better off just paying to fix the damage to my car as it’d have been a lot less than the total increase in 6 vehicle insurance policies over 5 years!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘No fault insurance effect on car insurance’ is closed to new replies.