Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • No Electrical or Boiler Certificate – Advice
  • scandal42
    Free Member

After a bit of advice here please STW

Buying a house and the Boiler and Electrics are all new within the last 2 years, looks a decent job and the electrics were done by a decent local firm from what I gather.

We are close to completion and the seller cannot supply the installation certificates and has offered to pay for indemnity insurance.

Now the boiler has been serviced twice and has a 7 year guarantee in place which I have seen, the service document points to perfect condition.

We were supposed to be exchanging contracts tomorrow for a completion next week.

Should this change things?

jeffl

Depends what your lender says and your solicitor say. Personally it wouldn’t bother me.

nickjb
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother me. I’d be more concerned about the condition of the installation and the quality of the work than any paperwork. Sounds fine

jam-bo

phone the company that did the work and would have issued the certificates?

bet its the solicitors/vendors being lazy.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Certificates almost certainly won’t mean anything if it breaks down the day after you move in anyway. Wouldn’t bother me, especially if seller offering the indemnity.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Keep to plan, move in and enjoy the house. Nothing to worry about here.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks all, this was my thinking but just wanted to make sure I wasn’t alone in my thinking.

I will give the company a call but other than that I expect we will move ahead as planned.

Thanks

mikedabear
    Free Member

phone the company that did the work and would have issued the certificates?

bet its the solicitors/vendors being lazy.
    The Installers don’t have to provide certificate. They also usually charge extra to provide a certificate so customers, specially builders don’t want them.
    The work will have been tested.

spectraken
    Free Member

The Installers don’t have to provide certificate. They also usually charge extra to provide a certificate so customers, specially builders don’t want them.
    The work will have been tested.

I would never assume it’s been tested if there’s no cert. More likely sparks turned it all on, breakers and rcd have held, then he’s gone. An EIC should have been issued however since there isn’t one, could you get the vendor to have an Electrical Inspection Condition Report carried out? At least it would give you an idea as to the state of things.

totalshell

the certs your looking for are building regs compliance.. for the gas they are done by the installer via gas safe though they can be dobe more expensively via the local council.. they are nt worth the paper they are printed on and are nothing more than a box ticking device they are literally worthless completion themselves is a building reg but many many many people dont as they cost money not much but do swallow time.. no problem move on.

project
    Free Member

Electrical fire causes a gas leak house blows up, on your first day in, probably a bit of paper isnt going to help you.

just move in.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Presuming this is England and Wales your land charges searches should reveal whether this was registered with building control under the relevant competent persons scheme – should be both a gas and electric for a boiler install.

Indemnity is a waste of time either way, it only protects against the virtually non existent risk of building control pursuing. It’s not going to help if it turns out to be dangerous.

Recent service means this wouldn’t bother me as major problems with installation would likely be picked up. I asked for a service in lieu of installation certificates when we were buying, in the end it was just the installer being slow and they ended up registering it with building control before the sale went through

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘No Electrical or Boiler Certificate – Advice’ is closed to new replies.