Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • No drink – what does it do for you?
  • toyrobot
    Free Member

Since New Year myself and a couple of other riders have been off the booze. This is by far the longest I've gone without for years (46 days and counting). I've also been going to the gym a little and eating a bit better, though neither enough to say I've been dieting and training. So apart from the no drink situation I've only made minor changes, however, on a few recent runs 2 of us have noticed that we're jam packed full of energy and are riding with much more aggression and strength as a result. Coming out of corners I'm up and on the peddles in places where previously I've been tiring whilst on the down hill sections of local trails we've been going hell for leather and as a result are having the time of our lives.
    So my question, of sorts, is this- What changes will this extended period of abstinence have brought about, if any? I'm reluctant to go back to drinking if this is actually a result of physical change and not just in my head.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

now you've got me thinking of taking up drinking so I can give it up again 🙂

Drac

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mister-P
    Free Member

The only real difference I noticed was in my wallet. Although now my tolerence is so low I don't fancy a drink as one pint makes me a bit wobbly.

J0N
    Free Member

IME no alcohol returns substantial benefits when out on a bike.

ojom
    Free Member

I had thought the other night of stopping drinking during the week and just do it on weekends.

Bloody hard though. Love booze but want to get fitter – plus just working the numbers in my head i would save tons of cash.

Not decided yet…

KT1973
    Free Member

If I try to go for a ride the day after drinking (and I just mean a few wines, not a full on sesh) I seem to only have half the stamina, however, once you've sweated it out you'll notice an improvement. Fill the camelbak though!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I come at it from the other side.

Drink very little, but do enjoy the odd pint (probably one, maybe 2/month). I really notice it the next day if I'm out on the bike.

toyrobot
    Free Member

So it would seem I either go back to drinking as before and get a bit crap again, I enjoy very little drink and really notice on those mornings after the days I have or I stay off it altogether? Bummer!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I've not given up completely, but I have just made a effort not to drink as much. Which basically means not having a glass of wine with diner or a beer or two in front the the football. My diet has not changed in anyway other than this and the weight is falling off of me !!

loddrik
    Free Member

I just don't understand why people make such a big deal about not drinking. I haven't drank for a few years now and it makes absolutely no difference to my life whatsoever…

Shandy
    Free Member

It depends on your age and how much you are prepared to suffer. Booze does have an effect but if you are used to it and train through hangovers it becomes less of an issue. If you can't function with a hangover or hamper your training it will obviously set you back.

I prefer the occasional extended session around a big event like a Six Nations weekend, other than that I don't really bother any more.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

makes me realise that people who have been drinking generally talk shit, "have a great time" though strangely "can't remember f'ck all about it"

qwerty
    Free Member

if you increase your intake of alcohol and therefore your tolerance, it won't have any effect the day after

coogan
    Free Member

I like the booze. Lots. My diet is not bad and I exercise quite a bit. So I think I'm quite fit. To be fitter would mean more exercise or even 'training' and that for me is bad. I don't want the cycling and footie I do becoming a schedule. For me they are there for a larf and getting out and about with mates.

So, to sum up, I'm going for a pint of red wine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My guess would be any increased energy is down to your liver being more efficient at glycogen storage and production as it is not trying to deal with alcohol

zaskar
    Free Member

Last drink-1995…

Been fine and no regrets.

Glass of milk please bar-keep

foxyrider
    Free Member

I only probably have on average a glass of wine / 1 beer a week – at weekends unless I go to someones house. I just don't find the need for it really. In the evenings I can't do anything usefull if I have had a drink so don't bother so I can tell you whats it like to be off the booze as I don't really drink anyway – I always remember what hangovers were like i.e. past xmas celebrations 🙂

yoshimi

I drink too much, now my kidneys ache every morning, detox is required.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"peddles"

Abstinence hasn't done anything for your spelling 😉

cookeaa

I’m not T-total but I normally go weeks between drinking and even when I do 3 pints would be the absolute Max these days, since the nipper was born I’m the sole provider of transport and as such need to be sober 98% of the time so drinking is only really done as and when I have a 24 Hr window of not needing to drive or perform other Daddy functions…

Not that I was much of a drinker before but I’ve gone from a couple of Pints a week to a coupe of pints a Month… Have I noticed an improvement in fitness? Nah I still don’t ride enough and don’t eat as healthily as I should, but I guess I’m better than I was as a student…

The amusing thing is I asked for a home brewing kit for my Birthday last year, I now have 4.5 Gallons of Bitter in the kitchen which I’m very slowly working my way through one pint at a time… might have one tonight, Bugger I’ve got to give the mother in law a lift!

psling
    Free Member

So my question, of sorts, is this- What changes will this extended period of abstinence have brought about, if any?

Plus side: Feel healthier, skin looks better, food tastes better, more energy.

Down side: You notice there are a lot more ugly women out there than you used to… 😯

ononeorange

It's hard to be at all scientific so I won't.

Last year we made a big effort to be healthy, and stuck to a "no drink in the week" rule. It happened that we also seemed to reduce intake a lot at weekends, oddly. Now, there's no way I can describe my self as "fit", but last year was also my strongest year on the bike, I was climbing and generally staying at speed much better/longer. I just can't say for sure if the two are remotely linked, but I don't have another explanation readily to hand.

(This year's been a disaster mind so far with illness etc).

ahwiles
    Free Member

i made 2009 the year i moved to half-pints,

it's cheaper, i don't get hangovers, my memory started working a bit, and i even enjoy the beer more – cos i savour it innit.

less is more and all that.

busydog
    Free Member

I quit drinking completely 3 weeks ago. Just found that over the years my tolerance had increased and subsequently my intake increased as well. It was a little hard for a few days, but now really not an issue. I find I sleep better and already weight starting to fall off—not to mention more cash in my pocket. Due to snow and mud, I have really only gotten one proper ride in since I stopped and that was this past weekend—- it was hard to tell if there was any difference as I was mostly focused on staying upright while sliding/slipping in mud, snow and ice. Will be interesting to see if the absence of drinking adds to stamina.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Personally I love the feel of 'two pints riding' (off road of course). It makes me feel like I'm on rocket fuel and has the added bonus that as the alcohol thins the blood I keep circulation to my fingers and toes for longer on the frosty nights.
    I drink far more on ride nights than any other days of the week. At home I'll rarely get past a single bottle of ale or a couple of glasses of wine.

thejesmonddingo

+1 for TJ,also the liver breaks down toxins,including alcohol,so no drink = improved performance in lots of ways.I think it's no illusion,I just wish it was easy to stop after 40 years.
    Ian

shortbaldone
    Free Member

i drink so much i am too pisssed to remember if i was better beforehand……..i think……..

McQ
    Free Member

Sobriety is severely over rated, that should be understood!

shortbaldone
    Free Member

although pints of beer are dangerous, ruins your joint if you drop it in accidentall 8)y

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

everytime im out riding you will hear one of your mates behind ya saying " i think the hangover is kicking in now" and im at the front thinking, im glad i only had a few last night because i knew i was riding the following day and when im hungover im still half drunk and riding a bike feeling terrible dosent work for me lol appart from that its fine, so if you drink during the week as well as weekends just drink a few if your out the following day and make sure u drink at least 2 pints of water before you go to bed and plenty in the camel back 😀 worked a treat for me 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

dunno… I've always enjoyed a few drinks, not every night of course but I probably drink three or four times a week not huge amounts but twice a week probably one too many. Sometimes I get a bit tired, such is life, still seem to find the energy for plenty of sport though.

Kev

scotabroad

About a year ago I gave up alcohol completely through the week, it makes a big difference to sleep quality and does stop you snacking in the evening which can help with weight control. So IMO it does amke a difference to your physical well being. I am not keen enough to give it up on a friday night though, but I find it only needs a couple of beers now to take effect.

Keva
    Free Member

definitely sleep better without alcohol, that's probably the key, recovery times. I often ride or run on a Friday then usually have a few then drink again Saturday probably one too many and ride or swim on Sunday. Takes 'till Tuesday to get over it !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

everytime im out riding you will hear one of your mates behind ya saying " i think the hangover is kicking in now" and im at the front thinking, im glad i only had a few last night because i knew i was riding the following day and when im hungover im still half drunk and riding a bike feeling terrible dosent work for me lol appart from that its fine, so if you drink during the week as well as weekends just drink a few if your out the following day and make sure u drink at least 2 pints of water before you go to bed and plenty in the camel back worked a treat for me

Is this the longest single sentence in the history of STW?. 😀

dasnut
    Free Member

same here, 46 days. Not missing the beer at all, sleep fantastic, less stressed, general well being much better.

The thing that made me stay off was friends saying "have you been doing secret training or something" when in fact I had hardly been riding, only differentiator is no booze.

Considering staying off all year, even on the 3 week roadtrip to th'alps 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Saves me a load of money that I can then spend on toys instead.

soops
    Free Member

I do call out 1 in 3 weeks and when i am not drinking i feel good, in all aspects of life. I sleep better and i am full of energy and as in the above posts less stressed.
    But i always have a drink when i finish call out. Week willed i guess!
    Maybe next time i will try and not drink.
    Cheers!!

westkipper
    Free Member

I've posted on this before, being an occasional pish-heid, I like to think one knows ones stuff!
    I dont think the long term effects of total nonbevvying are that much improved over moderation but the short term might see a difference.
    Alcohol contains Acetaldehyde which is a temporary muscle poison, so that, and various other stuff such as the congeners aren't gonna help if your trying to be the elite athelete.
    However if youv'e given up those aspirations (sigh) a wee unit now and again isn't going to do much harm.

toyrobot
    Free Member

same here, 46 days. Not missing the beer at all, sleep fantastic, less stressed, general well being much better.

The thing that made me stay off was friends saying "have you been doing secret training or something" when in fact I had hardly been riding, only differentiator is no booze.

Considering staying off all year, even on the 3 week roadtrip to th'alps

Dasnut, I'm thinking the same thing. I really can't think of any reason to get back on the booze. It seems common sense that if you over do it it's gonna hood you back and if it's between a couple now or then or simply nothing, Well, I might just go for nothing. (plus, it'll annoy my mates that I've been better than them.) 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘No drink – what does it do for you?’ is closed to new replies.