Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • No DH WC mostly on 650b discussion?
  • londonerinoz
    Free Member

Apologies if done, but I’m surprised to see no discussion about it.

The Redbull DH WC coverage on the weekend suggested everyone was on 650b already except Santa Cruz Syndicate and Specialized. Gwin appeared to be using a 26″ Spesh Enduro frame with triple clamps.

I don’t know much about DH beyond the coverage though, but that SA course is supposed to faster, less technical, and more pedally than the rest of the courses even after they made it hard enough to ensure triple clamps were needed.

Has 650b really come on this quick, or was it just for this course?

I’ve suggested on previous threads that I thought 650b would take over for DH, but I didn’t expect it to be quite this quick. I thought they’d need another off season to practice with all the equipment such as tyres being more widely available.

honourablegeorge

Gwin was on a 650b Enduro frame. Some of the Syndicate riders rode (or at least practised) on 650 Nomads.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Gwin (and TB) were both on a 650b Enduro Evo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    londonerinoz
    Free Member

Oops, I must have misheard Warner on Gwin’s wheel size, but I definitely spotted it looked like an Enduro rather than a Demo. Funny, because his return to perhaps ominous form, on what I thought was a 26, seemed like an inconvenience to the 650b story.

kimbers

gwin was on 650b

Id say its more of an inconvenience to specialized, he cant win on their flagship DH bike

but he can on the wheelsize they said theyd never make

selaciosa
    Free Member

The SA track isn’t particularly steep and is pretty pedally down the bottom. There’s been enough debate about whether it should be included as it differs so much from other WC DH courses. What we saw at the weekend was likely not reflective of how the rest of season will pan out.
    275 was just better suited mainly because of rolling speed I guess.
    When it gets tech and steep there’ll be more 26ers in the field I’m sure.

honourablegeorge

All the top riders have access to prototype tyres, but 650 race tyres like Schwalbe Super Gravity ones are available to buy in the shops now, so the pros certainly have them.

honourablegeorge

selaciosa – Member

Trek, GT and numerous others already on 650 DH bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Santa Cruz still up there on a pedally course with 10″ of travel and 26″ wheels, them bikes must suck balls. 3rd and a mechanical for Bryceland (43rd without being able to pedal 16s down), still most of the field got beaten by a 40 year old on a 26″ bike (Steve Peat 16th only 9s off Gwinn)

so yes 650b is awesome, 2nd only to being able to ride.

cloudnine
    Free Member

650 blah blah blah giant blah faster blah blah dead kitten blah but same blah blah enduro.
    Santa Cruz dead kitten. Blah blah frame better and blah. But 29er blah but blah dead kitten.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’d seen that photo of Gwin above since the coverage, but I still can’t tell the difference between 26 and 650b without big tyre logos! Schwalbe are very helpful in this respect.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

275 was just better suited mainly because of rolling speed I guess.

Which is odd as most people seem to be of the opinion that bigger wheels roll over obstacles easier and 26″ is more fun*. 26″ wheels may be stronger, but most riders seem to be riding on rims marketed to Jo blogs as “enduro” rather than DH.

*harder work.

Even if it’s not faster, the market for new 26″ bikes has apparently collapsed, was it 4 orders (or some equaly ridiculous number) for new SB66C’s this year for the entirety of North America? Why would they spend hundreds off thousands of $ running a race team promoting something that isn’t selling. The people buying new bikes want the best they can get for their £££, seeing as 650b is (within a fraction of a percent) the same cost to make as a 26″ bike/component it’s a no brainer, compared to the upgrade from SLX to XT, or X-fusion to BOSS which does have a cost associated with it.

Northwind

kimbers – Member

but he can on the wheelsize they said theyd never make

And when did that happen?

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

the market for new 26″ bikes has apparently collapsed, was it 4 orders (or some equaly ridiculous number) for new SB66C’s this year for the entirety of North America?

Northwind

Though that’s not stopped team riders from choosing the SB66 over the SB75, which seems a bit awkward.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not really, anyone with any sense can see the SB75 is a quick hash up to say they have a 650b switch link bike.

I can’t imagine that thing with is wacky geometry makes a very good enduro race bike.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Why do some people on 26″ wheels like to have a pop at other wheel sizes so much?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

the market for new 26″ bikes has apparently collapsed, was it 4 orders (or some equaly ridiculous number) for new SB66C’s this year for the entirety of North America?

That was from dealers, though, right? Who are probably pushing what they think will sell. It’s all a bit catch 22.

GEDA
    Free Member

12. I thought you meant the difference in mm between the two wheels sizes. Could we not just have slightly bigger tyres instead?

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

Not really, anyone with any sense can see the SB75 is a quick hash up to say they have a 650b switch link bike.

You don’t think that’s awkward? “We’re withdrawing the best bike we’ve ever made because everyone wants to buy this quick hash up. But our race team will still use the old one because it’s so much better”

honourablegeorge

Interesting/geekish stuff here, Gwin was fastest on the rough, steep opening section, despite the short travel bike.

World Cup Downhill 2014 | PMB Geek Stats

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Interesting indeed, although they forgot to include a wheel size comparison. Too little 26 data to compare? 😈

Was it Sea Otter last year that we saw the first 650b DH podium result? Many were howling that it wasn’t a proper DH course and that DH would remain 26. It’s going to be interesting seeing how the WC downhillers get on this season in their bike choices, presuming they have them. How many of them are going to try getting away with riding their Enduro bikes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There were a couple that had 650/26 bikes which could take both wheels with the thought of heading back to 26 for the rest of the season, the Nukeproof was just whet us poor buggers have been doing for ages and sticking a triple clamp on a trail bike and calling it mini DH 😉

I’d expect Gwinn to be back on the Demo next weekend as Cairns looks a lot steeper.

Not really wondering how many would pick enduro bikes though, this track is the exception not the rule.

anyway much more interesting than wheel sizes is how far off the pace Gee was, how much some of the kids have stepped up, what a great result for Manon and how there looks like there could be more than 2 winners of any round hopefully.

JCL
    Free Member

I’m pleased for Manon but Rachel did look genuinely ill.

One things for sure, all those guys better hurry up if they want to win because Loic and Troy are going to be unbeatable in a year or so.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its not about the right tool for the job, its what the sponsor wants you to ride because they want to sell more to the public. Sounds like the OP has been taken in by it exactly as the marketing men would hope.

legend
    Free Member

How many of them are going to try getting away with riding their Enduro bikes?

Once they get to the proper tracks – none.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Eh FunkyDunk? I haven’t said 650b is better, I’m interested in what actually happens now that they’re more widely available, ridden, and raced. Previously it was conjecture. Successful riders like Gwin was can sell a lot of frames.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Once they get to the proper tracks – none.

There were a few comments from the riders at the world champs last year that those saying it wasn’t a tough course were welcome to come and have a go 🙂

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Poorly expressed re the Enduro bike option. Didn’t they suggest Gwin’s frame had been adapted to take the triple clamps? Maybe others might do the same?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All I heard was they chucked the triple clamps on it, not exactly a massive mod, they might have tweaked the shock mounts to keep the geo or dropped the travel in the fork a little.
    Nukeproof had a modded bike that would probably sell well to the pinkbike kids with a MASSIVE fork and a normal bike.

hora
    Free Member

On a wider note. If all of the riders chose what they actually wanted to ride what do you think it’d be not for what they were being paid to promote or ride for as a team?

chiefgrooveguru

I thought it was “win on a Sunday, sell on a Monday”. Giving a rider a bike that you want to sell which they’re less likely to win on seems like a massive marketing fail. How many Demos did Specialized not sell because of its (relatively) appalling results last year?

I like that Gwin rode a shorter travel bike but was fastest through the tech top section – and despite Rob Warner commenting on his slower line though the rocks. It didn’t look pretty but it didn’t look slow if you watch it back without prejudice! Brendog’s Scott Genius looked like a huge pile of rubbish was through the same section.

Northwind

When it comes to win on sunday, sell on monday, they’d rather have a win on an unavailable bike, than no win at all. Brand first then model, after all Specialized won’t just want to sell Demos off the back of worldcup wins.

mikewsmith – Member

There were a couple that had 650/26 bikes which could take both wheels with the thought of heading back to 26 for the rest of the season,

Stevie Smith did that last year- though IIRC he said he just preferred the setup with 26 inch wheels, rather than preferring the wheelsize.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Specialized probably don’t care what he’s riding so long as he’s actually competitive after last year.
    They sell bikes because they are one of the biggest brands in the world and can hit some very competitive price points. Within hours of the win they had the press photo out on social media. All that matters is the Big S is up front.

traildog
    Free Member

Its not about the right tool for the job, its what the sponsor wants you to ride because they want to sell more to the public. Sounds like the OP has been taken in by it exactly as the marketing men would hope.

Eh? The sponsors want to win because it sells more frames. But they need to make a good product for the job (taking there is no ‘best’) in order to do that. They do back to back testing and put a lot of time into finding what they think is best. The racers train to win and don’t want to be held back by having to ride a load of rubbish.

The margins at the top level are small and every little thing can help. And 650b is taking off because people are trying it and finding they prefer it. It’s not a case of ‘marketing men’ pushing a product that no one wants like everyone suggests.

Mountain bikes have quite a limited life anyway, so I’m not worried about the day 26 will become obsolete. My bike will be well used and need replacing that day anyway.

Oh, and Sea otter was reported to be won on a 29 Enduro last year, not a 650b. This year is the year of 650b it would seem and I suspect there will be not much difference between them and 26.

traildog
    Free Member

Oh yes, and interested that Gwin was quickest on the technical top section. I always hear guys new to the sport saying how they need a downhill bike to ride this and that. 🙂

Don’t think it had anything to do with wheel size though, but funny the win was on a Specialized enduro bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The margins at the top level are small and every little thing can help. And 650b is taking off because people are trying it and finding they prefer it. It’s not a case of ‘marketing men’ pushing a product that no one wants like everyone suggests.

That is the biggest heap of crap I’ve heard in a while, the reason most new bikes are 650 not 26 is most people have stopped making 26. It’s taking off in new bike sales as there is no choice if your not going to go 29. An industry has moved and people are convinced it will be the best of both worlds, DH is moving along as everything else is moving.

A mate in one of our LBS’s can barely get any 26″ frame in, they are just not being made in any quantity. The only exceptions are the older santa cruz stuff and a few other DH bikes. Most of the mainstream has gone over.

legend
    Free Member

I always hear guys new to the sport saying how they need a downhill bike to ride this and that.

Do those guys have the skills of the likes of Gwin? If not, then they probably do need a DH bike

MSP

That is the biggest heap of crap I’ve heard in a while, the reason most new bikes are 650 not 26 is most people have stopped making 26. It’s taking off in new bike sales as there is no choice if your not going to go 29. An industry has moved and people are convinced it will be the best of both worlds, DH is moving along as everything else is moving.

Yeah, clearly it isn’t a competitive sport and they don’t care what they ride. I bet if it wasn’t for the marketing the winner would be on a 1992 rigid, dressed in florescent lycra 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

It’s strange how 25mm difference in travel or top tube length or bottom bracket height can be accepted as making a big difference but if you own a nice 26″ bike and don’t want to replace it then 25mm makes no difference when it comes to wheel size, it’s just marketing!

Or maybe I’m missing the point about DH and enduro racing – the winner is the one with the biggest grin at the finish, not the quickest, right?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘No DH WC mostly on 650b discussion?’ is closed to new replies.