Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • no chromecasts for sale on amazon?
  • sadexpunk

the lads just signed up to prime, i told him he could cast prime videos to his tv rather than hdmi but he’d need a chromecast.

looking on amazon, (which he wants to use as hes just got prime obv) theyre unavailable.

rather than buy a copy, i thought id ask on here first, as if theyre unavailable on amazon i wondered if theres some sort of amazon vs google war, and it wouldnt be any use anyway?

whats his best course of action to watch amazon prime vids on his tv?

cheers

oldtennisshoes

Amazon fire stick is the obvious choice

bazzer
    Free Member

A firestick, or a Fire TV, which is yes a direct competitor (ish) to a Chromecast.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Amazon doesnt work with google. They arent friends.

Similarly theres no you tube app on firestick tv.

I have both.

mashr

Amazon doesnt work with google. They arent friends.

This, even the proper YouTube app has now gone (as per the second line of the above post now that i’ve read it properly!)

sadexpunk

lovely, thanks, ill tell him to get a firestick……

EDIT: it does use the same casting method doesnt it? or from memory is it just a remote control rather than casting a vid from laptop?

oldtennisshoes

The fire stick connects to your Wi-fi and provides a series of apps to play stuff on the tv, no other bits required.

sadexpunk

gotcha, thanks.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye amazon is a pain, when I use prime, occassionally. I just cast a tab from desktop to the tele, quality isn’t 100% and you need to make sure you computer isn’t running slow or it’ll be stuttery.

But it usually works if the comp is decent.

It’s how I’m watching the tour just now. Using the 7 day eurosport free trial at the minute.

nixie

Does his TV not support prime directly?

Google cloud vs AWS is a big battle ground so hardly surprising Amazon don’t stock google products.

shuhockey
    Free Member

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-fire-tv-google-amazon-feud,news-29892.html

Google and Amazon feud now over supposedly. So youtube coming to amazon stuff and prime on chrome.

sam_underhill

As above, they’ve resolved their differences. For now at least. I noticed Prime video android phone app now has a cast button. I’ve not yet installed youtube on my firestick, but I’d wager that you’d also be able to cast youtube from your phone to that as well.

jairaj

If he has’t bought a Firestick / other smart stick device. Then Amazon Prime days is next Monday and Tuesday (15th/16th July). They may have some offers on the Firestick and Fire TV devices.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or get a Roku instead?
    Maybe more compatible with both Amazon and Google stuff.

BigJohn

Currys have Chromecast for £20. £54 for the Ultra.

sam_underhill

I can confirm casting to the firestick works. I tried to do a back to back comparison with the chromecast, watching the same youtube video of Gee Atherton’s Les Gets DH course preview.
    At the start of the video as he rode across the meadows it seemed a little more jerky on the firestick (possible playback frame rate issues?), but after a few watches I became less convinced there was much difference at all.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

We have chromecast and it doesn’t work with prime. We use a Wii U to watch prime (other similar devices may also use the app).

robbo
    Free Member

Prime video now works with Chromecast. Tried it last night to watch the Children Act. At last

seosamh77
    Free Member

Subscriber
    Prime video now works with Chromecast. Tried it last night to watch the Children Act. At last

Yip, great stuff!

sadexpunk

well the lads up and running with his amazon firestick and prime now. hes asked if he can take it abroad and still get netflix/prime movies etc when we go on holiday…..

my guess is no to netflix (for the same reason we cant watch US netflix), but maybe prime would be ok.

can anyone verify that for him?

thanks

beej

Netflix works abroad, but you get the local content. If you’re in the US, you get the US Netflix.

I’ve used it in US and Italy, lots of English language content while in Italy.

(I travel with a Chromebook and an HDMI cable)

mashr

Has he got a tablet? If so, both Amazon and Netflix let you download stuff to take with you

sadexpunk

we will indeed be in italy, so thats promising.

and hes got a chromebook rather than tablet, i assume thatd still be ok for downloading? (altho you dont get a lot of space on a chromebook do you….)

thanks for the info

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m currently on my second Chromecast, they’ve both been rather flakey to sat the least. I won’t be gettting another now this one’s died.

What are the Roku things like?

Can I use them to cast stuff from my laptop or ipad like I can with the Chromecast (when it works!)?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Netflix works abroad, but you get the local content. If you’re in the US, you get the US Netflix.

I’ve used it in US and Italy, lots of English language content while in Italy.

(I travel with a Chromebook and an HDMI cable)

Just sign up to a VPN.

I regularly travel to the US to see my family but use a VPN so that I can get UK-specific content via my media apps as well as use BBC iPlayer.

jimster01

Another vote for the Roku here, using the Express and seems pretty faultless atm, able to watch Prime, Netflix, YouTube.
    You can also use it abroad.

sadexpunk

another question on this please…..

i tried to cast something from laptop the other night and my chromecast wasnt available as an option any more, just our bluetooth player and the lads xbox. in the end i managed i think by casting from my phone.

have they changed the permissions or something like that to stop laptop casting? or is it likely to be an issue my end?

Del

presume sir has switched it off and on again?
    does it appear in google home?

bearnecessities

They’ve just released version 77 of Chrome, so you may need to update to that (well, that fixed mine this morning 🙂 )

andybrad

I’m currently casting from prime to chromecast. It does work

Cougar

I find mine goes tits up about once every six months. Unplugging it and booting it back up fixes it (though I strongly suspect it’s my ten year old laptop starting to get a bit creaky in its old age rather than the Chromecast itself that’s the issue).

sadexpunk

just done both the suggestions above, on and off, and updated chrome from v75 to v77.

one or both of them have sorted it, thanks very much.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘no chromecasts for sale on amazon?’ is closed to new replies.