no chromecasts for sale on amazon?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • no chromecasts for sale on amazon?
  • Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

the lads just signed up to prime, i told him he could cast prime videos to his tv rather than hdmi but he’d need a chromecast.

looking on amazon, (which he wants to use as hes just got prime obv) theyre unavailable.

rather than buy a copy, i thought id ask on here first, as if theyre unavailable on amazon i wondered if theres some sort of amazon vs google war, and it wouldnt be any use anyway?

whats his best course of action to watch amazon prime vids on his tv?

cheers

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Amazon fire stick is the obvious choice

bazzer

A firestick, or a Fire TV, which is yes a direct competitor (ish) to a Chromecast.

chrisdw

Amazon doesnt work with google. They arent friends.

Similarly theres no you tube app on firestick tv.

I have both.

mashr

Amazon doesnt work with google. They arent friends.

This, even the proper YouTube app has now gone (as per the second line of the above post now that i’ve read it properly!)

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

lovely, thanks, ill tell him to get a firestick……

EDIT: it does use the same casting method doesnt it? or from memory is it just a remote control rather than casting a vid from laptop?

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

The fire stick connects to your Wi-fi and provides a series of apps to play stuff on the tv, no other bits required.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

gotcha, thanks.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

aye amazon is a pain, when I use prime, occassionally. I just cast a tab from desktop to the tele, quality isn’t 100% and you need to make sure you computer isn’t running slow or it’ll be stuttery.

But it usually works if the comp is decent.

It’s how I’m watching the tour just now. Using the 7 day eurosport free trial at the minute.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Does his TV not support prime directly?

Google cloud vs AWS is a big battle ground so hardly surprising Amazon don’t stock google products.

shuhockey

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-fire-tv-google-amazon-feud,news-29892.html

Google and Amazon feud now over supposedly. So youtube coming to amazon stuff and prime on chrome.

Premier Icon sam_underhill
    Subscriber

As above, they’ve resolved their differences. For now at least. I noticed Prime video android phone app now has a cast button. I’ve not yet installed youtube on my firestick, but I’d wager that you’d also be able to cast youtube from your phone to that as well.

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

If he has’t bought a Firestick / other smart stick device. Then Amazon Prime days is next Monday and Tuesday (15th/16th July). They may have some offers on the Firestick and Fire TV devices.

CraigW

Or get a Roku instead?
    Maybe more compatible with both Amazon and Google stuff.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Currys have Chromecast for £20. £54 for the Ultra.

Premier Icon sam_underhill
    Subscriber

I can confirm casting to the firestick works. I tried to do a back to back comparison with the chromecast, watching the same youtube video of Gee Atherton’s Les Gets DH course preview.
    At the start of the video as he rode across the meadows it seemed a little more jerky on the firestick (possible playback frame rate issues?), but after a few watches I became less convinced there was much difference at all.

Premier Icon I_did_dab
    Subscriber

We have chromecast and it doesn’t work with prime. We use a Wii U to watch prime (other similar devices may also use the app).

Premier Icon robbo
    Subscriber

Prime video now works with Chromecast. Tried it last night to watch the Children Act. At last

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Subscriber
    Prime video now works with Chromecast. Tried it last night to watch the Children Act. At last

Yip, great stuff!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.