Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • no car, no ride..?!
  • edinburghxcrider
    Free Member

are you one of those unfortunate soles that does not have transport, pulls a grim face when you open up MBUK to see gisburn trails or glentress..why are these forrests so unaccessable..! how many others out there share this opinion and why arnt the forrestry commision doing anything about it, my money goes on my bike..there for no money for a crappy unreliable fiesta..!

MartynS

I have it on fairly good authority that the riding around Edinburgh (assuming that’s where you are) is actually very good, so no need for trail centres….oh and MBUK’s rubbish to…!

out of interest what would you like the FC to do???

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The FC should provide hovercraft to transport people to the car park to allow the car less to mince in a car park as well.

MartynS

“slaps head”
    Hovercraft…..NEVER thought of that… CFH = Genius

naedeyw
    Free Member

and why arnt the forrestry commision doing anything about it

Shakes head and wanders off wondering if the number of brains available is inversely proportional to the increasing population…

donsimon
    Free Member

how many others out there share this opinion and why arnt the forrestry commision doing anything about it, my money goes on my bike..there for no money for a crappy unreliable fiesta..!

How many? Very few I’d imagine.
    Why should the forrresstryyyy commissiioon do anything? Instead of just complaing, try suggesting a solution too
    You pays your money, you takes your choice.
    HTH.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I dont have a car, but do have transport – my bikes.

MartynS

I take it you never made it to glentress??

edinburghxcrider
    Free Member

wo wo wo…back up. was not blaming the forrestry comision, these guys i take my hat off to. it was a simple question of how many other bikers are in a similar position? whether it be ride share or a bus service there has to be a simple solution..?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The world would be a better place if we used hovercraft more

edinburghxcrider
    Free Member

flash heart…you have the answer..! il meet you on ther forth..

speckledbob
    Free Member

Ride wots close to you, and scav a lift when you can. It can’t be that bad.

MartynS

The world would be a better place if we used hovercraft more

+1

donsimon
    Free Member

and why arnt the forrestry commision doing anything about it,

wo wo wo…back up. was not blaming the forrestry comision, these guys i take my hat off to.

Sorry for misunderstanding. 😕

whether it be ride share or a bus service there has to be a simple solution..?

Sell the bike, buy a cheaper one and a crappy Fiesta.
    Move closer to the forests and move house whenever you fancy a change.
    Taxi.
    Ride closer to home.
    Road bike.

MartynS

it was a simple question of how many other bikers are in a similar position?

on here, none.. we can all fit our bikes into our BMW/Audi/Skodas and drive for positively miles to get to some FC action..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’ve just inspired me to drive even further to a trail centre tomorrow. Infact within the next month I might even drive all the way to Golspie (in my Skoda), ta.

poly
    Free Member

EdinburghCXrider – two fairly obvious choices:

(1) Get a number 62 bus from Ed city centre to the entrance of glentress then hire a bike at the hub.

(2) Join city car club then put bike in car and drive (or for further afield, and especially at the weekends you can get amazing deals on car hire from the likes of Enterprise – £11.99 a day!).

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ve just inspired me to drive even further to a trail centre tomorrow. Infact within the next month I might even drive all the way to Golspie (in my Skoda), ta.

I’ve actually been inspired to drive across the road to where the trails start.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

don – I’ll come and drive down to yours, sounds nice.

donsimon
    Free Member

See you tommorowww guarratteed sunsshhine. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

1) ride locally – plenty of stuff

2) as poly says bus down and hire a bike

3) hire car

4) scab lifts off folk

5thElefant
    Free Member

The first and most important bit of kit for mountainbiking is a car. Preferably a van, pickup or estate, but at a push anything will do. Get your priorities sorted.

CHB

Simple answer is that you need more friends, preferably ones that run a car and ride bikes. 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

The first and most important bit of kit for mountainbiking is a car. Preferably a van, pickup or estate, but at a push anything will do. Get your priorities sorted.

I think you need to get your priorities sorted. What a stupid statement.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I thought I pitched the stupidity level just right for the original post. 🙂

I suppose he could take up deep sea fishing instead. Just get a rod. No need to worry about a boat.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Or just ride locally, now there’s an idea. Why anyone thinks they need a car to ride a bike is completely ludicrous.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Locally? Not trail centres? Not forests? Not the wilds of Scotland and Wales? Not events? Not races?

That’s a bit like deep sea fishing in the pond in your garden.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not going to bother discussing the gob smacking stupidity of this thread. It really is a ‘slaps forehead’ moment.

rickmeister

I have the opposite problem, I don,t know which of my cars to choose to drive to my hovercraft…

iDave
    Free Member

I’m not going to bother discussing the gob smacking stupidity of this thread. whooshes going over my head. It really is a ‘slaps forehead’ moment.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a lot you can do from Edinburgh without a car…! Much more than just your back garden. However travelling to more trails/crags is the reason I got a car in the first place.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was going to do a lap of Cwm Carn this morning but tired legs and a cough say I won’t get a PB.
    Think I’m going to drive down to Uffington with the road bike and do some hill reps around the White Horse instead.

Tsk, trail centre riders, eh ?

If you do manage to get a lift to a trail centre, look out for these signs at the side of the road.

Whatever you do, don’t ride down them, they are reserved for elite riders.

iDave
    Free Member

are they red or black graded runs graham? do they have berms and real north shore? will i get lost?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t want to get married or ride a horse… what’s your point MTG?

My point ?
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting the stuff I post is supposed to have a point.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tssk, some of us try really hard to have well thought out, concise and intelligible posts.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have car, but little time to travel to trails further than 1 hour away. I’m lucky that there good, challenging trails within an hour of home.

I still hanker after bike-travelling: I’d love to do weekends on the Shropshire hills, Mid-Wales, Kiroutree, Yorkshire and others.

But I find the main frustration is the lack of local winter-proof trails. A more local trail centre would be ace: Longleat Forest?

No, I’m loaded.

Oh and I can ride from my front door.

HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘no car, no ride..?!’ is closed to new replies.