Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • No brown in town?
  • core

I’d never heard this before – am off to London, annual president’s reception for a national organisation, a colleague is collecting an award.

I’m wearing a blue suit, had planned to wear mid-dark tan brogues, but a friend has suggested this is a fashion faux pas and I ought to wear black. I’ve read it’s an old city based ‘rule’ and brown supposedly denoted being a bit of a country bumpkin. Well, I am.

Thoughts?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

**** ’em, go in wellies

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t forget the complementary deerstalker.

km79
    Free Member

Is this a UKIP reception?

loddrik
    Free Member

Core later…

ads678

It’s a fashion faux pas for people who wear those shirts with a coloured body and white collar and cuffs. No body else cares.

Wear what you feel comfortable in, if people judge you on your suit/shoe combo they’re not really worth your breath.

He says after judging others shirt selection…..

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah Fashion is just some twonk claiming he’s the best so you should dress like him.

Be the Twonk, not the follower of the twonk.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure about it being a rule on it’s own, but brown shoes with a blue suit 😯

Embrace being a country bumpkin though 😀

core

thestabiliser – Member

**** ’em, go in wellies

You have no idea how much that made me smile – **** ’em is one of my oldest friend’s catchphrase, he uses it for almost every situation, regardless of if he’s right or wrong, I admire his attitude, life’s too short to woory about things 😆

Am in agreement about the contrasting collar and cuffs (on shirts….) looks horrendoes, as does any double collar detail.

alanf
    Free Member

why not wear a brown suit with blue shoes – that’ll show em

BoardinBob

I was always of the opinion that blue/navy and black was a big no no but apparently not in that there London

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for proving the point so perfectly!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ha! it is a handy phrase to deploy

When I go to that London on bzzzznzzzz I wear green wool trousers and brogue boots and say ‘aye’ and ‘now then’ a lot. I’ve not been banned or asked to fetch round the carriages, yet.

loddrik
    Free Member

Be proud of where you come from.

This is what I have to cling to..

mike_p
    Free Member

The only acceptable combinations are navy blue (no other blues), grey or charcoal (not black) suit with black shoes. There is some latitude with shirts but when in doubt, white, white, white. It matters – if you turn up looking like you’ve run round Next blindfolded then you don’t get hired, because there are several other candidates who are just as good as you but who know how to present themselves.

Think of it as a uniform. If a policeman turned out for work wearing a pink shirt he would, quite rightly, be told to get to f***. It’s no different in the City of London.

😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

He’s not going for an interview.

edit: 😉

doris5000

The only acceptable combinations are navy blue (no other blues), grey or charcoal (not black) suit with black shoes. There is some latitude with shirts but when in doubt, white, white, white. It matters – if you turn up looking like you’ve run round Next blindfolded then you don’t get hired, because there are several other candidates who are just as good as you but who know how to present themselves.

Think of it as a uniform. If a policeman turned out for work wearing a pink shirt he would, quite rightly, be told to get to f***. It’s no different in the City of London.

if, however, the event is not an interview for a City Boy job, and the OP has no intention of becoming one…. 😉

doris5000

so anyway – OP, wear the brown shoes!

RustySpanner

There are only three acceptable items of brown footwear or clothing.

Hiking boots.
    Clark’s Desert Boots.
    Clark’s Wallabees.

If you go full Wiggo, you might just get away with it.

No snobbishness here, I just don’t like brown shoes.
    🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What a load of tosh.

The purposes of impractical/expensive outfits are solely to indicate how far removed the wearer is from manual labour, and by association, their wealth.

Stick it to the man, show up in a onesie 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

5tens FTW

jimdubleyou

**** em, wear your tweeds.

Take a gun bag with a broom in it too.

zippykona

I’ve got new boots and I’m very proud of them. They have lots of holes.

DezB
    Free Member

had planned to wear mid-dark tan brogues, but a friend has suggested this is a fashion faux pas and I ought to wear black

This is the disturbing bit for me.

etc..

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Patent leather oxblood DMs

MrSmith
    Free Member

nothing wrong with brown shoes as long as they are made in either Italy or Northampton and not pointy and scuffed.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Where’s Flashy when you need him?

jam-bo

i opened this thinking it was a another trump faux pas.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Where’s Flashy when you need him?

Last I heard he was staring at a Peacock

BFITH
    Free Member

nothing wrong with brown (OR tan) shoes (OR boots) as long as they are made in either Italy or Northampton and not pointy and scuffed.

What he said.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Mid brown brogues with a blue suit. Ugh.

Dark burgundy or nothing.

timc
    Free Member

See the blue suit, brown shoe combo a lot, i would however play safe & go with black, it does look ‘smarter’ a well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As an owner of several suits and both black and brown footwear, the brown only really works as boots with jeans. I’m no fashion model but seriously look in the mirror or try the last episode of line of duty

plyphon
    Free Member

Brown is absolutely fine.

What you need to throw out immediately is the pointed or chisel shaped shoes. Go on, throw them out. I know you’ve got some.

atlaz
    Free Member

nothing wrong with brown shoes as long as they are made in either Italy or Northampton and not pointy and scuffed.

Yes, but preferably made in the latter.

tinybits
    Free Member

Blue and brown is very fashionable at the moment, and whether you like it or not you’ll find lots at social events (weddings christenings, parties etc) where suits are worn.
    As a business look, nothing says estate agent or used car salesman more….
    What sort of occasion it is only you know, but if you’re not wanting to do business with people who may judge, then who cares!

plyphon
    Free Member

See, as a younger (mid 20’s) guy) nothing says “I don’t shop unless my wife tells me too” more than black shoes in a 9-5 setting.

Wedding, formal, of course.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If you really are going a serious city look, brown brogues or suede ok, just. Oxblood is underrated. I’d be more concerned about the suit being blue…

MrSmith
    Free Member

what if you dont want the city look?
    none of my shoes or suits are black, the main reason is to not be mistaken for somebody who works in an office, knows spreadsheets intimately and when they look up from the computer they see this:

following convention is fine if you want to fit in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘No brown in town?’ is closed to new replies.