Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Nissan navara bike storage solutions?
  • deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

My mate has moved to Australia and offered me his truck at a knock down price.
    SO i did see anice convertion on a mountain top for carrying bikes.
    4 fixings wete bolted to the front of the mountain top to hold and clamp the forks with some angle aluminium bar at the rear to hold the rear wheel . i pressume the front wheels and kit wee stored under the mountain top lid ?

anyone seen any other soutions ides ? thanks DTD

steveh

I think the things you are talking about are in fact standard roof rack bike holders bolted onto the deck or some roof rails bolted over it. I’ve seen it done a few times.

Failing that idea, if you don’t have a flat level lid, it’s a pad on the tailgate and hang the front wheels over canadian stylee.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

yes i have seen the Dakine pads on sale at Innerleithen bike shop 😀
    using the mountain top gives me bike storage on top and sealed and locked storage for kit and tools below.
    I HAVE FOUND THE NISSAN STANDARD OPTION
    http://www.upcountry4x4.co.uk/images/nissan/mountain-top-cross-bars.jpg

im sure i could construct something direct on to the mountain top here
    http://www.upcountry4x4.co.uk/images/nissan/mountaintop.jpg

anyone made there own ?

runswithscissors

Made my own but a different soloution to the same problem, I made my own slide out bed for the bottom of the truck with standard fork attachments so that the bikes fit in(front wheel removed) with the snugtop in place.
    Can be locked out of sight and leaves plenty of room for riding and camping gear too.

jam-bo

arent navara engines notorious for failing catastropically at about 90k?

anyway, i thought the whole point of a pickup was just slinging the bike in the back…

Jimbo
    Free Member

The beds are usually too short (esp. the double cab things). Remember that many of the pick-ups so often seen in MTB shots/movies are in the US, wherein a “small” truck usually had a bed big enough for a medium-sized European car!

runswithscissors

Mine is a L200 double cab and it’s plenty long enough to hold bikes in the snug top with the front wheel removed or just chucked in the back with the top off…..

shredder
    Free Member

If the Navara is the latest ie the D40 and dependant on the model. It could have what are called the c channels running down the sides and the bulkhead. If this is the case these accept attachments, and its possible to get 2 cross bars like roof rails which slot in. You can then clamp cycle carries to these exactly as you would on a car roof. The vehicle is also designed to run with its tailgate down so overhang is not a problem.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers
    Rich

coatesy
    Free Member

I welded up some bolt on brackets with a front axle/QR assembly to fit Nissan sliding load bed mounts for a mate of mine, if you’d asked 3 weeks back he’d probably have sold them to you, went with the truck when he part-ex’d it, sorry.Not too hard a job for somebody who likes messing with that sort of thing, but the mounts were pretty expensive though.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    arent navara engines notorious for failing catastropically at about 90k?

That is the older d22 ones that have the 2.5di engine. the D40/D51 Navara/Pathfinder are ment to be ok engine wise but some of the first ones had clutch issues.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

We have a full double cab. Plenty of room for a bike if you take the front wheel off, or two bikes at a pinch.

The latest version, 2006 on, seems reliable. A mate uses his for towing a trailer with cars on -the engine is OK after 150k, but he is about to get the clutch replaced for the second time.

steveh

It’s not just at 90k the engines go, they’ve got a very bad rep indeed. Do a google search on it and it’s pretty scary.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

steveh – Member
    It’s not just at 90k the engines go, they’ve got a very bad rep indeed. Do a google search on it and it’s pretty scary.

If you do a google search you will see that it is the older (Pre 2005) ones that have the engine problem.

younggeoff

two guys in our club have a navara. Ones got Thule Bars mounted to tht e top of the checker plate and can get three bikes on. The other guys got a hardtop for the back and we’ve managed 5 bikes and gear in there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Nissan navara bike storage solutions?’ is closed to new replies.