• This topic has 127 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Nirvana
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member
    What do you reckon?

dunno, i’m asking you? I’m just laughing as it sounds like a daft comment to make, with no relevance, and I’d like you to explain it?

Digby

I vaguely remember preferring Tad.

Tad were vastly underestimated I reckon. I recently picked up ‘8 Way Santa’ again after watching the film ‘Singles’ again recently for the Chris Cornell ‘cameo’ with the track ‘Jinx’.

8 Way Santa still sounds good – raw, and &8%’ed-up! 😉

richardkennerley

Despite being a huge Nirvana fan, when I first saw the Foo Fighters as a support act for the Prodigy, I had a sort of half idea they were in some way connected, but they were never marketed as being “From the Drummer of Nirvana”.

Was this at the G_mex by any chance? I was at that gig, was really looking forward to seeing the foo’s and was surprised that they got booed by the crowd who weren’t happy at a”rock” band being at a “dance” gig.

Really liked first foo’s album, “for all the cows” being their best tune imo. Second album great, now they’re just tedious (to me anyway.)

Watched the Glastonbury footage and was looking forward to it finishing!! Still like Dave and Taylor though, nice chaps!!

And the point about them being just a garage band… Well that’s a good thing, garage band level is when most bands are at their best to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    metalheart
    Free Member

I was into a lot of that Sub Pop, pro-grunge stuff but leant more to the noise SY/SWANS/Dinosaur Jr side of things.

Caught Mudhoney when they supported SY, they seemed decent people even if they failed to cede seniority of Aberdeen WA to the real city….

Never saw Nirvana live, although mates went to see them in Embra at some tiny dive or other (Liquid Rooms?). I loved Bleach and pestered both Avalanche and 1-Up Records for the upcoming 2nd album. When it finally arrived (think it was delayed for at least 6 month whilst they re-recorded it?) I was hugely disappointed, never recovered my enthusiasm and then, of course, worst of all, they went and became famous! so that was that.

Re Tad, I sported a Loser t-shirt with pride. Never had a Nirvana one (but I did like the circles of hell one…) 🙄

ETA: Killdozer, whatever happened to them, they were ace!

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got the dark green vinyl of Bleach – worth over £100 apparently 🙂

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Mudhoney were a great live band

They still are…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsjSDQ_MrV8

killdozer – the sound of a grown man who’s spent a life gargling gravel! from memory one of them was a school teacher?
    Right, off to listen to twelve point buck….

plumber
    Free Member

Terrible band, banal music,

I was happy when Kurt blew his brains out knowing I would not have to listen to that shit ever again accidentally on the radio

DezB
    Free Member

Arf!

jamj1974

Loved them then, loved them since, love them now. Nothing quite touches them IMO. Love lots of their peers too – but not as much.

Whether Nirvana made another record or not – Kurts next musical step could have been very interesting…

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Anyway, just wondered if anyone saw them in the day? Any good tales, were they good or overrated and bloody awful!!?

I haven’t read any of the other replies. Don’t need to 🙂

Yep, I saw them live in ’89, at SOAS, supporting TAD. Although, I seem to remember TAD actually came on first, cos they’d been touring together for a bit and knew what Nirvana were like.

It was, genuinely, an awesome gig. Kurt was in great form in those days, and I still get goosebumps thinking about it. I can’t describe it. Kurt’s voice, the music (original, raw and exciting back then) and the pure energy coming off the stage and crowd. No, they weren’t over-rated. If anything, the opposite. Those early live shows blew the **** arse out of anything else I’d seen before or since.

At the end of that gig, me and my mate ‘Mad’ Pat were drenched head to toe in sweat, shaking our heads in disbelief, and I remember Pat saying ‘That was something special’.

I saw them again at Lamefest with Mudhoney, but that SOAS gig, to me, was Nirvana distilled.

I’ve never been able to bring myself to watch footage of Reading, I still don’t consider that to be a Nirvana show TBH, and I couldn’t bring myself to play Nevermind for a few years. Kurt’s suicide upset me quite a lot, and still does when I listen to the Unplugged album in particular.

So, yeah. You’re right to think they’re decent. The original fudge packin’ crack smokin’ satan worshippin’ motherf*ckers. Best live band ever. No doubt in my mind. RIP.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

worked in the music industry one way or another for a couple of decades. I’ve heard so many bands, kids to pros, ‘play’ Nirvana songs. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve heard them played well.

I don’t play music or have any connection other than listening to it. But it’s fairly obvious that Nirvana songs only sound right when played by Nirvana (there’s a few good covers but I’ve seen their tunes murdered by ametures) They’re not the most complex tunes, they weren’t superb musicians or singers but that doesn’t matter or detract from it. Their stuff was very ‘right’ for a distinct period and in some ways it’s fitting that it’s frozen in time. If they’d still been going now they’d be all out of angst and just another mellow rock band fading into obscurity. I get why they’re so revered but I just don’t listen to their stuff anymore because there’s too much new music to find…. 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

I’d partly agree with Peter – Nirvana songs only sound right if done by Nirvana, when trying to sound like Nirvana doing them. I’ve heard covers of Nirvana songs where the artist has performed them as themselves rather than trying to do a Kurt Cobain impression and that can work.

Although I’m not particularly referring to Tori Amos’ famous/infamous cover of Teen Spirit.

Worth having a look at the Rock’n’roll Hall of Fame induction on Youtube where Dave and Krist performed exclusively with female vocalists – some worked better than others imho but the point is nobody was trying to be anything other than themselves.

seosamh77
    Free Member

plumber – Member

I was happy when Kurt blew his brains out knowing I would not have to listen to that shit ever again accidentally on the radio

Now come on, you can’t sneak a comment in like that without telling us what music we should be listening to?

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yes, he can… and he will 😆

(twiddly diddly **** heavy rock fan IIRC)

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, I saw them live in ’89, at SOAS, supporting TAD

Bastard! I missed the Portsmouth gig – actually saw the bands walk past my work window during the day, but couldn’t make the gig that night. 😥

richardkennerley

Jesus. They’re on the radio all the time despite the fact he’s still dead. 🙄

P-Jay
    Free Member

plumber – Member

How’d that work out for you?

A one-hit album band on the downslope of their mainstream success elevated to legendary status because the singer and face of the band took his own life.

They play Nirvana all the time on the radio, a lot more than say Sonic Youth or Soundgarden who were popular at the same time.

LS
    Free Member

Depends which radio station you listen to I guess, I hear a lot more Soundgarden than I do Nirvana.
    I was in the right place at the right time for grunge age-wise but other than the above two bands it didn’t do a lot for me. Massive Nirvana fan at the time but I barely listen now, the stuff from Nevermind which got overplayed (pretty much all of it) now bores me to tears 😐

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bleach was my favourite album

I’ve got the dark green vinyl of Bleach – worth over £100 apparently

Got it on blue pink vinyl… 😀

(Just checked)

Seems it’s worth anything from £100 – $480. Wow.

Recently been listening to bands they’ve covered (The Vaselines) and that they arguably ripped-off (Killing Joke and The Damned). Sure there’s more out there too.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member
    Never saw them, but hearing the news of his death was one of my “I’ll always remember where I was when <xxx> happened” moments.

Aye me too, that and Jason Mcroy, not sure which came first.
    About a week later I bought a T-shirt with Cobain’s head with a shotgun ‘photoshopped’ in his mouth and ‘Nevermind’ underneath it, I thought he would have appreciated it. Lots of people at the local rock night however disagreed with me…

metalheart
    Free Member

killdozer – the sound of a grown man who’s spent a life gargling gravel! from memory one of them was a school teacher?
    Right, off to listen to twelve point buck….

Yeah, Mike something or other iirc (bass player and singer). He was definitely a shortarse too, I was almost eye level when he was on stage…. 😉

12 Point Buck, need to go dig that out. 3/4″ Drill Bit was always my fave. They did a cracking version of Nasty too…

You nailed the description of em too :mrgreen:

milky1980
    Free Member

But it’s fairly obvious that Nirvana songs only sound right when played by Nirvana.

Nail>head right there. They may not have been as good as their reputation marked then out to be (especially since Kurt’s suicide) but they were unique and mark a period in time that for a whole generation was a watermark in music. Yes, most of the tracks off Nevermind have been played to utter death but if you have a break from them and then listen to them they are brilliant bits of music for an awful lot of people.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

But it’s fairly obvious that Nirvana songs only sound right when played by Nirvana.

Don’t know what you mean

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc2m4w9h0cw[/video]

richardkennerley

😀 haha, I’ve never seen that before, hilarious!

The whole played to death argument is a bit irrelevant, I’m sure not many people would say Queen were cr@p, but if I never hear “don’t stop me know” ever again, I’ll be happy.

DezB
    Free Member

haha, I’ve never seen that before, hilarious

And I still won’t be seeing it!

Queen were crap! 😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Self appointed judges judge more than they have sold – or something like that….

boxelder

Reading ’91 (broke his arm jumping into the drum kit) and a couple of times later that year (Leeds and Sheffield).

Saw them at Sheffield Uni Octagon in November ’91 I think it was.

They were good, but not quite as good as I expected. Got the feeling that Kurt’s heart wasn’t in it that night as they didn’t have the ‘fire’ in their live performance*
    His voice had gone. I’d seen them a few days before in Leeds and they were much better.

Dinosaur Jr and Mudhoney also highlights from around then.

psychobiker
    Free Member

I still get emotional when I hear smells like teen spirit. Remember the first time I heard it and thought this is life.

butcher

Would have liked to have heard how they sounded once they got past three chord tricks

A talented musician is someone who can take 3 chords and make 10 great songs out of them… Yeah, some of it was basic, especially listening back on it in your 40s or whatever, but there was so much more behind it than a few simple chords.

I’d recommend watching Montage of Heck for anyone who’s not seen it. Had read biographies and watched documentaries in the past, but this is really sobering viewing. Such a sad story.
    [video]https://youtu.be/uH00BUAvJmQ[/video]

garage-dweller

Terrific band. Made me laugh when the trendy kids at school started accusing me (mega nerd) of only liking them because they were famous and cool and I was trying to fit in. Odd really given that one of my most nerd like tendencies was my predilection for metal and punk when everyone popular liked indie or chart music.

Yeah that’s why the only two songs of there’s they’d heard of were the hits from (“their first album”) Nevermind. Edit…25 years later and I’m still annoyed. I need to relax more!

Too young to have seen them live, but Tastes Like White Spirit was the first bass line I learned and also the first guitar solo (only about 20 notes iirc).

Chord wise I love Polly but very disturbing song!

That whole Seattle/grunge thing produced some sensational music and far too many prematurely dead band members.

Foo Fighters are ok by me. Different kind of rock for a different mood/purpose.

skolt
    Free Member

Saw them at Manchester Poly 1989.
    Great gig – The Cateran were amazing, Tad were mind blowing and Nirvana were earth shatteringly good.

pondo

… but the point is nobody was trying to be anything other than themselves

What they were all about, for me. Before Teen Spirit came out, I was convinced that Jean-Michel Jarre was all the music anyone would ever want. But the worm turned for me…

funkmasterp

They were kinda first of their genre, in a “what else sounds like Nirvana anyway?” sort of way, so you either liked them or you didn’t.

Tad and Mudhoney were around before them and Nirvana were very much influenced by them. When I first heard Bleach I actually thought it was a Tad album. If you’re a fan of early Nirvana check out Superfuzz Bigmuff by Mudhoney and the track Wired God by Tad.

If you want to hear a great take on Nirvana check out The Battle For Seattle by Little Roy. Reggae, ska and dub versions, but in no way a novelty album. Just a brilliant reinvention of some great tunes. In my opinion Dave Grohls best work was on the QOTSA third album Songs for the Def.

I loved most of the bands from the Seattle scene, but especially Soundgarden, Screaming Trees and Mudhoney. Remember reading an interview with Mark Arm when he said some really famous musician (can’t recall who) can’t on stage with them. This guy asked them what key they were playing in. Arms answer “what’s a key” 😀

sc-xc

Saw them with Tad and mudhoney I think at Edwards no8 in brum. Watched 10 mins of the 91 Reading set, but sloped off as it wasn’t my thing.

I didn’t mind them, but like the fact they got the mainstream into a different kind of music.

superstu
    Free Member

Love Nirvana, still listen to them and I think the music has aged well. Decent variety in their stuff if you chuck in some of their b sides and unplugged etc.

In utero probably ranks as my favourite album, but they’re all good.

Kirt did several interviews where he confirmed he wanted nirvana to sound like the pixies. He had been contemplating doing an album with Michael Stipe from R.E.M. too.

Their music was often simple but they’re weren’t bad musicians, not getting those comments personally but that’s just my opinion.

Also agree that whilst I don’t hate foos theyre just a bit MOR and karaokeesque. I like the early foos and the album they did when DG was drumming with the QOTSA – it sounds a bit heavier and interesting.

Waderider
    Free Member

Look, Nirvana were good but to insinuate a comparison with Zeppelin and Hendrix is just wrong headed!

richardkennerley

Waderider – Member
    Look, Nirvana were good but to insinuate a comparison with Zeppelin and Hendrix is just wrong headed!

I’m not comparing them musically, more as an experience. If asked “what one band would you like to see” then something like led zep or Hendrix in the early days would be an obvious answer, but actually I think I’d really like to see an early Nirvana gig as they probably had more of an influence on my music taste over the years.

DezB
    Free Member

I got it. Would rather have seen Kurt’s violent anguish than Plant’s wailing any day. (Hendrix a different story entirely).
    Taste innit.

metalheart
    Free Member

Also, find it easier to identify with violent anguish rather than **** hobbits…

boxelder

I’ve got the dark green vinyl of Bleach – worth over £100 apparently

Really? I’ve got one in white somewhere, and a Teen Spirit picture disc, first release.
    EDIT – This one!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Nirvana’ is closed to new replies.