Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nipples
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

I'm building up a set of lightish, but strong wheels for all mountain duties (Mavic XM719 Rims, 36 spokes and Hope Bulb hubs). I'm thinking of swapping to alloy nipples to save a little weight, is this a bad move on an all mountain wheelset or can I expect reasonable longevity?

Will I notice the difference?

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Although the weight saving will be minimal, you may have fun trueing up the wheels, as these round out quite easily if the spokes seize in them.

I personally wouldn't bother.

jamie01
    Free Member

if i were you i'd have a good dump before you going out riding. you wouldn't believe how much weight you can save

epicyclo

Never use alloy nipples unless someone else is maintaining or paying for your wheels.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Aye, eat one less sandwich a week, you'd be amazed at how much weight you can save.

Junkyard
    Free Member

NO little weight saving and tons of heartache truing in the future.
    Better /easier ways of saving weight

Onzadog
    Free Member

anyone want to buy a bag of alloy nipples?

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Only nipples i like are the kind you could hang a wet duffell coat off 😀

swavis

Like monkeys fingers? 😉 😆

matthew_h
    Free Member

For a 32 hole wheel, you'll save about 20g by using alloy nipples over brass but they are muchmore annoying to build with and tend to seize so can make truing difficult later. If the wheel is built well there shouldn't really be any durability issues though.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Right that settles it – brass nipples it is then.

Given the choice between slightly less weight and significantly more maintenance, I'll stick with hefty but reliable every time. That said, every little helps though.

epicyclo

You could always make up for some of the extra weight of brass nipples by using Velo plugs instead of rim tape 🙂

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

alloy=poop brass=good. they might be lighter but they sure are softer. and if your wanting a strong tight all mountain wheel stick to brass. i have see too many alloy ones sheer to ever trust them. they seem to corrode more after time too. so go brass.

joe x

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

choose lighter tyres instead.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nipples’ is closed to new replies.