Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Nintendo switch presentation…
  • KidCragg
    Free Member

Anyone else looking forward to this?

I’ve always been a Nintendo fan and am genuine pumped for the switch. So keen to see launch titles, costs, virtual console plan GameCube games? and if it really is region free!

So what are your Thoughts on the new system from the teaser trailer?

Probably already a thread out there so apologises if this is a duplicate.

Drac

Intrigued but not excited as they’ve always had a good novelty factor that soon wears off.

Drac

Yup very clever could be a winner for a new generation of handhelds.

KidCragg
    Free Member

Yeah looked good!

Definitely saving some software announcements for E3 I suspect. Disappointed with the £279.99 UK price range and £99.99 for pro control online this morning. Devaluation of the pound and brexits fault I suspect.

Can’t help but feel they should have targeted a cheaper price point to gain increase of market share.

With it being region free, I wonder if there will be a big import market for cheaper US games and console even?

Drac

Yeah price is steep could be one of things that holds it back.

deadkenny
    Free Member

No backward compatibility I understand?

Though my last console was a Wii (not even Wii U) ! 😀

But still like a lot of the stuff on that. Would have been nice to have the stuff work on something modern with an upscaled output. Wouldn’t be HD, but less crappy looking than the Wii connected to my monster TV.

Drac

Nothing is going to stop the Wii look crap, just like PS2 games look awful running on a PS4.

prawny

Slightly disappointed at the price, but only because it was rumoured to be £199 at the beginning of the week.

Still keen on them though, We’ve got a Wii U which is great for the kids, and on very odd occasion I have a blast on Zombie U, but I don’t often have time to dedicate to playing games on the main TV.

The idea of being able to play the same games on the TV and Tablet would be great for me. I’d be able to batter it when the bake off and strictly are on for example.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I stopped gaming a few years ago after getting an Xbox 360 after owning most of the Nintendo consoles since the SNES, so this has piqued my interest although the price is a bit steep but I guess that’s the Brexit bonus and its only likely to increase once Article 50 is triggered.

The massive benefit to Nintendo is that all their internal development teams are going to be focused on one platform instead of being split across the 3DS and WiiU.

Drac

It’s a brand new console they’re always expensive on release that had Brexit.

AlexSimon

prawny – Member

Slightly disappointed at the price, but only because it was rumoured to be £199 at the beginning of the week. Agreed. Especially as 1-2-Switch isn’t bundled like Wii Sports was.

I have to say, the ice cube demo got me though 🙂
    Nintendo still seem to possess lateral thinking beyond their pretty conservative competitors.

Mario looks good too, although when you look at the launch games and factor in Zelda being on Wii U which we already have, I can’t quite press the ‘pre-order’ button.
    (2 extra joy-cons are £79 – ouch)

Drac

So what does it come boxed with?

AlexSimon

Drac – Moderator

So what does it come boxed with? No games.

The Nintendo Switch console
    Left and right Joy-Con controllers
    Joy-Con wrist straps
    The Joy-Con Grip (The middle bit of the controller, which is a charging dock for the controllers too)
    The Nintendo Switch Dock
    An HDMI cable
    and an A/C adaptor (USB I guess)

Drac

Ah right.

I’ll watch with interest as a like my consoles but not convinced enough just yet.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I recall it’s based on cartridges. Will they do downloads? Physical media is so old hat.

Drac

Cartridges? I member.

AlexSimon

deadkenny – Member

I recall it’s based on cartridges. Will they do downloads? Physical media is so old hat. Yes, confirmed.
    Problem with downloads is you can’t resell. Some of my games have sold on ebay for the same price I paid. ymmv

AlexSimon

I’ve pre-ordered the console.
    Waiting for some better Zelda offers.

eddyp
    Free Member

That feeling of putting a game into a Gameboy or Nintendo64, it not working, blowing on it a thousand times and it working again. Those were the days.

Drac

No adjusting the volume on the cassette player?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Adjusting the azimuth alignment on the cassette to get your Spectrum game to load, fun times 😀

racefaceec90

i am interested but not enough to buy one at £280 interested. i bought another wii u console late last year and as the new zelda game will be coming out for the wii u as well as switch i can wait tbh. it does look an interesting console though i have to say.

AlexSimon

The shit part, is that you know that you’re going to get your new shiny console, hook it up all excitedly, then sit and wait while [insert console company here]’s servers are overloaded during a forced firmware update.
    In fact, I think I’ll keep it off the internet until I’ve played Zelda for a bit.

AlexSimon

IMO, they showed a lot more ideas with the new joy-cons than they ever did during the wii-u’s gamepad demos. They never seemed quite convinced of it themselves.
    At least this means they can go back and use their wiimote ideas which they’ve had to abandon recently.

(BTW can I just say how refreshing it is to read a console discussion without it being dominated by ‘dead by christmas’, ‘PS4 is faster’, ‘your mum’s a…’ type comments 🙂 )

squirrelking
    Free Member

If they don’t release F-Zero for this then the word “squandered” enters a whole new level of meaning.

dragon
    Free Member

Price is a disaster for Nintendo, why buy this over an Xbox One or PS4 which both can be had for far less? I think this is the end for them as serious player as hardware company, will continue in software for while.

The idea of being able to play the same games on the TV and Tablet would be great for me.

I’m pretty sure you can do that with both PS4 and Xbox One with the right kit.

AlexSimon

Price is a disaster for Nintendo, why buy this over an Xbox One or PS4 which both can be had for far less?

I guess it depends on what you want to buy.
    I don’t buy electronics, I buy the experience I get while playing the games. For us, that means the only games I play on the PS3 is Little Big Planet and digital downloads of Final Fantasy VI and VII and the only game that tempts me to PS4 so far is The Last Guardian.

Whereas we still regularly play Wii Sports Resorts Table tennis and every Mario game ever. I’ve been happy to pay for the HD remakes of Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

I don’t really see them as being the same thing as each other.

I’ll admit to being a bit disappointed with Splatoon and Pikmin, but Mario Kart (even back to Double Dash) is still the best multiplayer experience ever in our house.

Drac

BTW can I just say how refreshing it is to read a console discussion without it being dominated by ‘dead by christmas’, ‘PS4 is faster’, ‘your mum’s a…’ type comments )

Give me a chance I’m catching up with work emails.

disco_stu
    Free Member

If they don’t release F-Zero for this then the word “squandered” enters a whole new level of meaning.

Hopefully F-Zero GX might make a reappearance as it’s allegedly powerful enough to run Gamecube games.

RustySpanner

F Zero GX still makes my eyes bleed.
    What a game.

And what Alex said.
    Graphics are the icing, gameplay is the cake.
    Which is why Nintendo will always have my undying love.

I buy secondhand, usually a generation behind, so launch price isn’t really an issue.

I’d like to replace my DS XL with the 3D version, hopefully we’ll get a decent price drop soon.

nerd
    Free Member

Looks good to me, something innovative from Nintendo again.

I’ve bought every Nintendo console ever, except for the Wii U. And that’s mostly because I have a 3DS and now prefer to play games on a handheld while my wife watches something daft on the telly, rather than hogging the telly to play games.

I’m interested but I’d be even more interested if they offered just the handheld / tabletop components without the TV dock for ~£50 or so less.

For me, it’s all about the games. I’d much rather play a colourful, psychedelic game rather than a mud brown and grey first person soldier simulator or ultra realistic car racing game.

the-muffin-man

Price is a disaster for Nintendo, why buy this over an Xbox One or PS4 which both can be had for far less?

New console in being expensive shocker! 😀

FWIW – when my daughter was younger we had a Wii. It was great fun and we used to play together a lot. Then she got an X-Box (now has a Xbox One). We barely play together now as I can’t be bothered with games you have to give half your life up for. They just seem to flash and too complicated.

dragon
    Free Member

New console in being expensive shocker!

But one of the main reasons the Wii so popular was that it was a lot cheaper than the respective competition.

KidCragg
    Free Member

For me, it’s all about the games. I’d much rather play a colourful, psychedelic game rather than a mud brown and grey first person soldier simulator or ultra realistic car racing game.

Nerd you nailed it for me there! Exactly how I feel, linked with growing up and having a family and not gaming. Its where the games industry has gone enmass and not something i’ll ever buy in to, so can’t see myself getting a PS4 or Xbox.

Any ideas if they will be launching systems to play pre-launch, in stores etc? I know with the initial promotion stuff they stated it will be launched to try / play pre-launch.

retrorick

I’m tempted to purchase a Switch. Not right away but towards the end of the year when Mario is released and a few real world opinions are published. I’ve always enjoyed the Nintendo games but I then spend far too much time playing them when there are other things that need completing.

prawny

Spoke to the wife and lunch and she was pleasantly surprised at the price. Won’t be getting one at launch as we don’t have that sort of money spare, but I can see us getting one at Christmas or Black Friday as a treat for the family. Hopefully they’ll have come down a bit in price or at least have some more bundled goodies by then

P-Jay
    Free Member

The games are going to have to be very good.

Nintendos problem is that that always have to reinvent the wheel. first proper console, first proper handset, first movement controller console all bit hits for them – when they try to play is safe in the processor arms race with the other SNES, Gamecude, Wii U they struggle.

It’s a tough one though, portable gaming has been handed over to tablets and phone and it’s not really in the same league as PS4 or XboxOne – let alone the Pro or S and it’s likely by next Xmas they’ll have replacements too.

AlexSimon

Nintendos problem is that that always have to reinvent the wheel.

Yes, the big error with the Wii U was not including a new Wiimote. It meant that they never felt comfortable releasing a game that couldn’t be played purely on the gamepad. It took them backwards. As soon as I saw that they’d included motion control in the joy-con this morning (as well as some extras), I was 90% sold.

kelvin

The games are going to have to be very good.

Well, durrrh!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Nintendo switch presentation…’ is closed to new replies.