Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • NIMBYISM
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Isn’t it just standing up against what you believe to be bring a disadvantage to your day to day life?

how is that wrong?

TheFlyingOx

It’s wrong when by standing up against “what you believe to be bring a disadvantage to your day to day life” you purposefully endanger other members of the public who are respectfully and legally using whatever land it is you want to “protect”.

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t it only NIMBYism when you’re wanting someone else to be disadvantaged instead? So – you don’t want that new runway built next to you but you’re happy to fly off to the continent on a whim.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I’ve always thought of it people objecting to something because of their lost of amenity that they would use/like elsewhere.

I have a mobile phone but I wouldn’t like a mobile phone mast next to my house.

spudly1979
    Free Member

its when you don’t do anything or even actively support something when it doesn’t really affect you, but then become a raving activist as soon as its in your area or affects you directly.

MrNutt
    Free Member

so by that definition is GrahamA a nimby?

spudly1979
    Free Member

arguably yes i guess. Have to agree though – neither would i…

I would use the example of someone talking about Dale farm, saying its a disgrace that they’re throwing people off the land etc etc and then immediately petitioning the council when gypsies move onto the parkland near them

BoardinBob

So – you don’t want that new runway built next to you but you’re happy to fly off to the continent on a whim.

Emma Thompson To Decide Where You Go On Holiday

Thompson, who swims to all of her filming locations around the world, said: “I had the idea while I was swimming the Atlantic en route to the Golden Globe awards in Beverly Hills.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I keep Swindon within 30 miles of my home.

Far enough away to not be an issue, but close enough to make me feel superior.

hh45
    Free Member

I agree with the OP. A resident should have more say in what happens there than an outsider who is probably in it only for profit (developers etc) and who doesnt (in all probability) live near enough to suffer the consequences himself. Why should someone have to take some $hitty development on their doorstep for someone else’s benefit?

More society wide things like power stations and perhaps airports are more of a grey area but housing / commercial development is a no brainer IMO.

mrmo
    Free Member

problem is that there are things that are needed for the greater good of society, ie housing, industrial estates, roads, railways, power stations, etc, etc. Many of these things aren’t actually very attractive and you wouldn’t want them next to you.

But for our society to work you actually need them.

There are ways to reduce the problem, such as single people in one bed houses and flats, non of this i have always lived here crap, housing on the basis of need. Then there is don’t use electricity that gets rid of the need of power stations. Don’t eat pork, drink milk, eat eggs, etc does away with slurry pits, abattoirs, and the other signs of industrial farming, never fly, don’t ever drive, cycle etc, don’t use boats, does away with the need for infrastructure.

Now as no one is going to give up modern life, you just have to accept that these things are going to have to be built somewhere.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Isn’t it just standing up against what you believe to be bring a disadvantage to your day to day life?

how is that wrong?

You voted Tory at the last election didn’t you?

sweepy
    Free Member

The joke around here is
    Whats the difference between a conservationist, and a developer?
    The conservationist already has a house in the woods 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hang on…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Isn’t it only NIMBYism when you’re wanting someone else to be disadvantaged instead? So – you don’t want that new runway built next to you but you’re happy to fly off to the continent on a whim.

I agree with Onion’s onion.

Windfarms are one such thing;

Ooh, I want to have leccy and TV and frij an ting, but I don’t want a decent efficient form of energy production spoiling my view (although I will drive my polluting car everywhere cos I choose to live in a nice quiet rural place miles from civilisation)…

Shut up. Do, please, shut up. You whinging moaning selfish stuck up snobbish whiney cockbags.

Innit though Nutt? 😉

Look beautiful:

uplink
    Free Member

For me NIMBYism is not so much not wanting a particular development etc.
    But more, claiming that there’s another reason for your objection

Coyote
    Free Member

Druidh’s definition is probably the best I’ve seen.

Very good.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ooh, I want to have leccy and TV and frij an ting, but I don’t want a decent efficient form of energy production spoiling my view (although I will drive my polluting car everywhere cos I choose to live in a nice quiet rural place miles from civilisation)…

Seriously, do you think wind farms are an efficient form of energy production?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ask Mr Nutt. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

that’s clearly a photoshopped picture fred, the presence of a Gaia (the twin bladed turbine amongst the photo montage of old big wind stuff) in the left hand corner confirms it. 😉

jameso

just passing by …

Anyone seen ‘The Age Of Stupid’? Great film. Real-life example of nimbys and the problem it could cause.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

that’s clearly a photoshopped picture fred, the presence of a Gaia (the twin bladed turbine amongst the photo montage of old big wind stuff) in the left hand corner confirms it.

I like that response. It’s a perfect one.

I’m interested in seeing what Mung Bean makes of it…

saladdodger
    Free Member

if folk do not want a wind farm near em fine just disconnect there house from the national grid and see if they change there mind 😈

mobile phone masts well enough said

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

if folk do not want a wind farm near em fine just disconnect there house from the national grid and see if they change there mind

Yes. This. And not allow them to have a generator or any fuel-burning method of electricity production.

And no telephone either. Or running water.

Actually just send them to live on some deserted island with beautiful views but bugger all else, see what they have to say then, when they’re cut off from the conveniences of modern life….

sweepy
    Free Member

Why dont people want phone masts near them? I thought that was safer cos your mobile didn’t have to use so much power to connect to it.
    Or something.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I like that response. It’s a perfect one.

I’m interested in seeing what Mung Bean makes of it…

I made a hat.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If the hat fits….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s actually for my bottom. Last time i was down your way, a young chap offered to me one, i thought i should get my own.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A bottom hat?

😐

aracer
    Free Member

if folk do not want a wind farm near em fine just disconnect there house from the national grid and see if they change there mind

How about instead, those people who want them outside somebody else’s house get disconnected from all other forms of power generation, so when the wind doesn’t blow they’re still being green and not burning those nasty fossil fuels.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A bottom hat?

I dunno, some youths in your neighbourhood suggested it, perhaps you should ask them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not in my neighborhood.

In South Central LA maybe; not round here mate. 😐

Today was a good day…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It may have been, i can’t quite separate the two in my mind.

IanW
    Free Member

Why do we need more houses? I dont know anyone who hasnt got one.

user-removed
    Free Member

I want a bottom hat. Winfarms are a subject close to my heart… I earn a fair chunk of my pitiful annual income through carrying out visual impact assessment photography for the agencies who procure planning permission for turbine farms.

There’s almost always an element of secrecy – I have to lie to anyone who asks me why I’m spending my days at the top of all the highest mountains in the area. If the locals find out, a NIMBY group springs up overnight and the whole project grinds to a halt.

I quite like the way they look, but I may be somewhat biased 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why do we need more houses? I dont know anyone who hasnt got one.

Well, they are subject to suply and demand like everythig else, why else do you think prices are so sky high if demand isn’t outstripping supply?

There are ways to reduce the problem, such as single people in one bed houses and flats, non of this i have always lived here crap, housing on the basis of need.

On the one hand I agree with you. However why can only single peopel live ion flats, why not move the whole population into flats? Or are you a NIMBY too?

Looks lovely!

p.s. I live in a flat.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There’s almost always an element of secrecy – I have to lie to anyone who asks me why I’m spending my days at the top of all the highest mountains in the area. If the locals find out, a NIMBY group springs up overnight and the whole project grinds to a halt.

I objectbto the term NIMBY, it has become pejorative. They provide a service, much like the neighbourhood watch, but on a larger scale. If a group wants to protest about changes to their local area, then they should be allowed to do so, so long they don’t do it near where I live.

And yes flats would solve this problem. With a flat, you don’t get your own back yard. This would stop NIMBYISM immediately.

Oh, if you want a bottom hat, go down to South London and wander around, before long someone will surely offer to provide you with one.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m quite looking forward to carrying out a spot of NIMBYism myself

It’s not so much Not in my back yard

More ‘not in my back yard without carrying out the proper consultations of those likely to be affected’ (NIMBYWCOTPCOTLTBA) 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

How much of the chemical energy in a lump of coal do you suppose arrives at your socket?

mafiafish
    Free Member

The thing that gets me most about NIMBYs is that they just spurt absolute nonsense in order to make things look much worse than they are. I’ve gone to meetings with people and had no other choice but to patronise the bejesus out of them. They somehow think that their opinion is equally as valid as 50 papers written by 300 scientists and reviewed by 5000 and the policy of the UK government, rural development regulators and conservation NGOs which disagree with them completely.

I’m biased as I’m applying for a wind turbine but all the genuine issues have been addressed with people that know what they’re talking about (RSPB/Natural England/Regional Planning/Airports/MOD/Local Ecology society) so the only objections are people who are against it ‘in principle’ which is obviously a redundant position as there are no genuine principles that make them objectionable.

Yes, not baseload but then only Nuclear or Hydropower is and there isn’t much potential for large-scale hydropower in the U.K. anymore.

As has been said a massive amount of our electricity is wasted in transport so smaller/localised baseload would be great but isn’t going to happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘NIMBYISM’ is closed to new replies.