• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sv.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nikwax or Grangers?
  • jwt
    Free Member

Need to reproof some jackets and the clothing company recommended the two companies in the title.
    Anyone have an opinion on which is the better way to go?
    I have to say I feel uncomfortable about tumble drying the jackets after washing to activate the proofing given the care instructions specifically state not to?

Stoner
    Free Member

AIUI it’s not so much to “activate” it as to let the liquid waxes in the waterproofing merge with the fabric into a continuous layer.

Im indifferent between the two as theyre pretty much the same think.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Always used Nikwax as it’s wash in meaning that after you’ve washed the kit in the machine just add the waterproofer and set it for another wash.
    Yesterday I did my motorbike jacket doing this, allowing it to nearly air dry then stick in the tumble dryer on a warm setting to finish off. The tumble dry supposed to pull the fibres closer together again improving the water repelling properties. Same method I’ve used time and again.
    The Grangers is spray on and using on other stuff i.e. tents, I’ve never been able to get a consistent application so it can look uneven as it normally darkens it slightly. Nikwax being wash in always comes out evenly applied.

z1ppy

Again a Nikwax user (wash-in for the win!), wouldn’t suggest Grangers doesn’t work, but Nikwax definitely does, so I’m sticking with it.
    Tesco’s (& others) do a twin litre packs that are usually a more reasonable price. I do an empty hot wash (just the ‘wash’ not a full cycle) before to clear any detergent and again after to clear any nikwax from the machine.
    Oh and we don’t have a tumble drier, so it’s not necessary but reading above, it would probably help make it a more effective coating.

iainc
    GrahamS

Both work.

I prefer Grangers, as I always found Nikwax left a bit of a lingering vinegary smell whereas Grangers is a pretty neutral smell (to me at least, YNMV)
    I also prefer spray-on as it means I can concentrate on critical areas (knees, bum, seams etc) and means I can minimise machine washing. (Grangers do all-in-one wash-in as well though btw)

Use a tumble drier either way.

iainc

Use a tumble drier either way.

I feel uncomfortable about tumble drying the jackets after washing to activate the proofing given the care instructions specifically state not to?

if the label says don’t do it, why would you ?

riklegge

Nikwax isn’t heat activated, Granger’s is. If you can’t tumble dry (or cool iron) I’d use nikwax.

simondbarnes

I use Fibertec. They do an eco version that activates to 85% at room temperature so might be something you want to look at if your garments aren’t tumble dryer safe?

jwt
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your views, I’ll have a closer look before I buy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Grangers is spray on and using on other stuff

I’ve used the Grangers 2-in-1 quite a lot and it has always worked well.

Clean

do tumble dry to finish and the clothing then beads well. I use one of those bags to put the stuff in to tumble dry as it seems to beat the stuff up less.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hangerworld-Polyester-Temperature-Washing-Professional/dp/B003B97AE6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500967937&sr=8-4&keywords=tumble+dry+bag

nikkijeffery
    Free Member

Hey, a bit of misinfo in this topic!

Grangers do both wash-in and spray-on products, and only one needs heat.

Again though, lots of people saying Grangers is heat-activated and it definitely isn’t! The Performance Repel spray and Clothing Repel wash-in work perfectly if air-dried.

ransos
    Free Member

Again though, lots of people saying Grangers is heat-activated and it definitely isn’t! The Performance Repel spray and Clothing Repel wash-in work perfectly if air-dried.

Looking at their website, some products require heat and some don’t.

nikkijeffery
    Free Member

Yes – the 2-in-1 (Clothing Wash + Repel) does require heat, but the two wash-in and spray-on products I mentioned don’t!

nikkijeffery
    Free Member

Hey, full disclosure — just received a message from the moderators asking for this, and didn’t realise it was an issue! — I do work for Grangers, so I’m probably a bit more up-to-speed on the products themselves.

I always try to avoid recommending one product over another though — we all have preferences and of course some people are going to prefer one product over another!

I just think that it’s important for everybody to have all the information about products/brands they can get! It just makes it easier to make the right decisions for our kit (and as a cyclist myself, I know that kit is sacred! Would be lost without my Rapha gear!).

Hope my advice is welcome (and let me know if not). 🙂

Cougar

Hi Nikki. I’ve emailed you a fuller explanation as to why your initial post was problematic.

For the benefit of other readers: On the forum we welcome input from the trade as they can often provide helpful knowledge or advice, but we ask that they are transparent about who they are (or if they want to remain anonymous and not talk about their products or services then that’s fine too of course).

The forum T&Cs state, “No Trade or business advertising – except bona fide retailers may respond to genuine enquiries from potential customers.”

Hope that helps.

sv

Alpkit suggest a warm iron is preferable to tumble drying, less abrasive. I prefer the spray on stuff followed by heat – if required.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nikwax or Grangers?’ is closed to new replies.