Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nikwax alternatives?
  • derms
    Free Member

Anyone use any cheaper alternative to nikwax tx direct for restoring waterproofing? Due to doing too many sports I seem to need to do it fairly regularly and its expensive!

Pure soap flakes work really well instead of the tech wash and so much cheaper but i dont know anyone else making waterproofing other than grangers which is basically the same price

BadlyWiredDog

Storm do proofing stuff as well, but no cheaper afaik. Year ago Trail Magazine, I think, did a test where they used Comfort fabric conditioner which worked, but probably wouldn’t do an expensive jacket much good. I’d be concerned about breathability. But if you want a cheap hack, there it is.

If you’ve not tried it already, you can often revitalise water resistance with a warm iron. The DWR is a polymer and heating it helps it to re-mobilise and run over the fabric strands. Or something like that.

beaker

There was a thread on this ages ago and this Stuff was recommended. I got some and have been really impressed with it. I’ve reproofed old and new clothing with excellent results. It’s quite satisfying watching the water bead and roll off…

eyestwice
    Free Member

I tend to use Graingers in place of Nikwax but I’m not really sure if it’s any cheaper.

That probably doesn’t help but at least it’s something else to consider.

RustyNissanPrairie

Premier Icon
    beaker
    Subscriber

There was a thread on this ages ago and this Stuff was recommended. I got some and have been really impressed with it. I’ve reproofed old and new clothing with excellent results. It’s quite satisfying watching the water bead and roll off…

I did a bit of digging into this stuff as I was fed up with DWR not working. I decided against using it;

“diverd diverd

Posted October 23, 2016
    Gents

It was designed to be low temperature, for waders and breathable jackets, tumble drying can destroy these so we specified a low temperature resin base. It uses similar chemistry to many of the others, a C6 fluorocarbon, and the success of ours is simple, we dilute it less, so it has more active ingredient per bottle. The chemistry is reasonably low cost, so we dont need to charge much for what is probably the best type of DWR. We designed it for our own use, with no intention of selling it, but after the first tests were asked by our regulars to sell it and so we do”

Nikwax’s take on C6

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/aboutus/persistentflurocarbondanger.php

Patagonia’s
    https://www.patagonia.com/stories/our-dwr-problem-updated/story-17673.html

My conclusion was to carry on with Nikwax/grainers

derms
    Free Member

Yeh I think its probably the best option to just stick to the nikwax. just surprised there aren’t really any other companies doing it

dawson

Slight hijack – when you use an iron is that directly onto the waterproof material or do you put a tea towel in between?

faerie
    Free Member

You can buy larger bottles from your local saddlery, it’s meant to waterproof rugs but it’s the same stuff for the same fabrics.

maccruiskeen

There was a thread on this ages ago and this Stuff was recommended.

in light of Rusty’s post I asked the seller if they provide a COSHH sheet. No reply 🙂 probably busy.

beaker

I’ll be using Nikwax from now on….

ibnchris

If are doing lots of proofing and you are wanting to save a bit of money why not buy 5 litres of Nikwax at a time?

Also, how often do you wash before proofing? If you are using Tech Wash you should be able to go about 3 or 4 times at least before reproofing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nikwax alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.