Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nightmare tubeless tyre removal from rim.
  • threerock44
    Free Member

Recently set up my new Michelin Wild Enduro tyres tubeless on the Giant Carbon rims that my Trance came with. Due to a taping error, I had to take 1 tyre off and re-do the taping. I’ve never had such issues with anything before. 2 hours of effing and blinding to part the tyre from the rim. Thumbs didn’t work, tyre levers could not get between the bead and the rim. Then when I eventually got 1 bead off, thinking I was home and dry, the other one was nearly as bad. Years ago I did Bontrager tyres and rims tubeless with no issues at all. Got a bit single-minded about it last night and eventually succeeded, getting to bed after midnight in the process! If I had a puncture out in the wilds that wouldn’t seal, I’d be walking home with this set-up. Has anyone had it this bad? – I saw a video online made by some US mechanic where they say they occasionally get a super hard rim and tyre combo – he gripped the tyre in a workbench vice and then hauled at the rim to free it…Sadly my “workshop” in the garage doesn’t stretch to this facility.

tjagain

Put the wheel flat on the ground and stand on the tyre but not the rim to use your weight to break the bead?

oysterkite
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my carbon rims (blue flow) on my cotic and they were fine , feel your pain though, I’ve had a few combos that have been a real pia (more so with road tubeless) I recently bought a tool which helps massively with mounting tight tyres btw .

simondbarnes

What TJ said

mashr

If I had a puncture out in the wilds that wouldn’t seal, I’d be walking home with this set-up.

Not got an external tubeless repair kit?

It’ll likely get a little better over time too things stretch a bit

shermer75
    Free Member

TJ has it

threerock44
    Free Member

OK. Stand on the tyre and not the rim. I always knew my slightly hefty 13+ stone weight would have an application. Thanks people….

pacerc100
    Free Member

Had a similar problem with Enve M60’s and G-One tyres on my Slate the bead just would not budge. Normally you can just pop the bead into the centre channel and job done pretty much but some combo’s are so tight you cant move the bead full stop. The answer buy yourself the levers in the link below which are available in lots of places not just Tredz. They are bloody brilliant at getting in the smallest of gaps as they are so thin. I literally spent days trying to get my tyres off and tried everything. This was the first time I had a problem getting tyres on or off in over 30 years of riding. 1 minute with these bad boys and they were off.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Tyre-Levers-3-Pack_93008.htm?mkwid=s_dc|pcrid|333160007882|pkw||pmt|b|slid||&pgrid=41559144175&ptaid=aud-441056574464:dsa-295372780045&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPjj5d3d5AIVlOFRCh15LAODEAMYASAAEgL3gPD_BwE

threerock44
    Free Member

Thanks for the link pacer. Found them on Amazon for under £3 so worth having in the armoury….

whitestone
    Free Member

A couple of pairs of Mole grips will also do the job, use in a similar fashion to a pair of tyre levers: clamp one set on to the tyre then use the other to work away from that point squeezing the beads of the tyre together and away from the rim.

Out in the wilds you should need to be un-tubelessing anything – you just need the right tools, basically a set of tyre plugs with applicator. Also make sure that the pump you have with you can inflate the tyre to the required pressure, not that I’ve ever found this out the hard way you understand, just something I’ve heard people having problems with. 😰

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nightmare tubeless tyre removal from rim.’ is closed to new replies.