Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Night vis – buy cheap buy twice?
  • grahamt1980

Looks like a reflective bin bag. I doubt you will get any kind of comfortable fit from it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, that’ll be a boil in the bag number.

Far better to buy a good jacket with some reflective built in, and then augment that with good ankle bands and good lights (obviously).

joebristol

If it’s mostly for commuting I’ve found my dhb reflective jacket is very effective at making you be seen and it’s not too hot – although it’s also not amazingly breathable.

Seen some Proviz 360 jackets that look similar in reflectiveness- really shows car drivers there is a person behind the bike lights imo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Could be worth the gamble for a short commute

ceept

I’d be looking here. We’ve got a couple of Polaris things & are really pleased with them.
    https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/RBS-Windproof-Cycling-Commuter-Jacket-p/pol01-1453-p.htm

Kryton57

I find the Altura Night Vision gear is good and reasonably priced, often on discount at Wiggle as well.

DHB flashlight socks seem to be awesome socks, regardless of whether they are reflective!

footflaps

The Night Vision stuff is excellent visibility wise but I gave up on it as it didn’t breath well and their waterproofs weren’t very waterproof. Now use Gore Bike Wear GTX jacket, not as reflective but breaths well and 100% waterproof. I rely on multiple super bright lights to be seen, run them on day flash mode during the day as well.

IHN

I came here to recommend Polaris stuff, I see someone has beaten me to it.

blancodiablo
    Free Member

Proviz bag cover works well for me: no impact on breathability of your gear but have had colleagues come past me in cars and say how viable I was from afar. No front vision though, and not great for aero, but for a commute it’s good.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Not clothing but I use this reflective tape on mudguards and it works very well.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F131557306869

madeupname
    Free Member

Trespass

Like Pro-viz but cheaper. Uk high street shop so some comeback of it fails…

I’ve used it for bike commuting – a bit sweaty but very visible. The ‘breathability’ is from mesh arm pits and a vent across the back.

I’ve used it for night running, I will happily use it again to run in rain but I did get to the stage sweat was dripping down the inside of the sleeves (I am a bit sweaty when I run).

Edit- it’s £39.99 down from £79.99. It’s like a half price pot, never pay the full price! It’s almost always on sale

madeupname
    Free Member

Also if you want to be visible I think after decent lights, reflectives on moving parts really stand out – so reflective material on lower legs/pedals/overshoes really help.

Downside to all over retroreflective jackets (as above) is that they are dull grey in daylight…

timb34
    Free Member

It’s usually cold and dry when I commute, and I sweat a lot, so I have never tried full waterproof stuff.

Polaris RBS jackets have a good mix of colours and have reflective bits in very sensible places that aren’t covered by a pack, but the fit is a little relaxed

Current favourite is a Bontrager velocis s1 halo softshell. Yellow in daylight and all over reflective at night. Good fit on me, and warm enough with appropriate baselayers when it’s just negative temperatures, but less breathable than a non-reflective softshell

footflaps

Downside to all over retroreflective jackets (as above) is that they are dull grey in daylight…

Seeing more and more 50/50 mixed jackets on the roads now, best of both worlds…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Night vis – buy cheap buy twice?’ is closed to new replies.