Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Night riding- I just don't get it
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like it, partialy because it’s a bit different. You set off and your brains telling you “this isn’t natural, WTF are you doing?”. But mainly because it’s just riding. In the summer it’s easy enough to finish work and go for a ride at 6:30-7:00 and finish before it gets dark, by mid September that’s not really possible, so you addapt and get some lights and carry on as usual.

4 milestones in my year, commuting home without lights in March and the first ‘night’ ride without lights, then the reverse in winter.

prawny

All my riding is done early morning/evening so in the winter I do a lot of riding in the dark, I’d rather it were light but it’s ok.

I prefer the dark in the morning rather than the evening, just in case of accident or total light failure, but that’s because I’m usually on my own. If I’ve got someone to ride with night rides are fun, if I haven’t I usually get scared and take a shortcut home.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

5am rides look great. I’ll not be getting out of bed that early though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I used to ride offroad at night with two of the front version of these.

They were shit.
    The only advantage they gave you was you couldnt actually see what you were riding down, so you just stayed loose and went with the flow.

I have fond memories riding mugdock at night in the snow with them.

Now I have some decent lights its pretty damn good, certainly not limiting. Its cool to ride in the moonlight with your breath floating in the air, clear stars above.
    It can be a bit shit in the middle of winter, but at the moment its great!

superfli
    Free Member

Isnt this the same argument as “Why go riding in the wet”?
    Sometimes there is no alternative.
    I like biking, I go biking.

Alex

Some night rides are close to magical. Frozen trails, clear skies, looking down at the towns with smoke coming out of the chimneys. They are inside watching TV, we’re out under a big sky. Some night rides are a trudge through slop, grime and cold.

I much prefer to ride in the light, but empty trails (Malverns, rammed in the summer and weekends), winter fitness, sliding about in a comedic manner, well earned beer always makes a night ride a good one. But give me shirtsleeves and a beer garden and I’d be happier.

MTBing is a four season sport. Option is not riding. Or inside on a turbo. Night riding is always better than that!

binners

superbly – You’ll be unsurprised to learn that Hora won’t leave the house is theres even the remotest hint of any moisture either 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m happy to ride in the very early Dawn and late Dusk but Night rides don’t do a lot for me either. I do go on them but only Roadie at night and even then only in the Lanes near me.
    Dawn and Dusk are exceptional times to go riding, no one around, stunning atmosphere, quiet, just you and the bike and a couple of tweeting birds and a few moo’ing cows.
    Can’t beat it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora you should try night riding at Cannock. Those little sniper pebble bastards are really out to get you.

tomaso
    Free Member

Big nightride pluses for me

I can get out on my bike
    I get to ride empty trails that would otherwise be peppered with walkers dogs and children
    I can go really F A S T
    I love riding my bike
    Stary skies
    Moonlight
    RAF training planes buzzing you in the dark
    Views of Windermere and other lakes at night are magical
    The look of greasy green rocky descents shining in your lights

Oh I could go on and on…

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    Oh sweet baby Jesus and the cuddly little blessed orphans and their pet baby robins, I agree with Hora *sobs*

Do you actually like riding your bike or do you just like looking at the view whilst sitting on your bike?

Without the latter, I enjoy the former much less.

Having never met Hora I can’t comment on whether agreeing with him is a good or bad thing, but INH has hit the nail on the head for me. I like the view and to get a perspective on where I’ve been and where I am going.

I was never interested in night rides till recently when it proved to be the only option to get in more riding time over the winter, so I will do it for that reason only.

On the plus side I have seen a white hare (rare apparently) on a recent night ride.

But on solo night rides my mind keeps drifting to thoughts about the film American Warewolf in London. So if you see me on a night ride going over Houndkirk Moor, just say hello and don’t mention anything about staying on the path

Harry_the_Spider

I night ride for various reasons. Primarily because I’ve got two kids who have swimming lessons on Saturday, and Sunday is a designated family day.

However, I started out riding locally with a couple of mates as it was the only time that I could get out, then we started posting it on here… and it has sort of grown. Monday Night Pub Rides are a great fun. A big bunch of random silly sods all going out for a daft ride on a Monday night then sharing a pint or two and talking crap for a bit afterwards. It’s all about meeting new people and hearing new stories. Also, every now and again you have to stop and look around. The lights of Manchester from Blackstone Edge, the moon from high up above Todmorden, lamp lit dust clouds in Darwen, Bregante’s pub flip-flops etc. All things that you wouldn’t normally see.

Wouldn’t miss it for the World at the moment (unless the wife’s zumba class clashes with it).

Next up Hebden Bridge. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/monday-night-pub-ride-%e2%80%93-march-17th-%e2%80%93-hebden-bridge-special

excitable1
    Free Member

Blatant hijack – sorry (although I do also love night riding) !

I’ve got a set of 1 year old Gloworm X1 & X2 lights for sale if anyone wants them. I’ve got them on the STW classifieds here for £250, but I’ll let them go for £200.

They’re in perfect nick, just not compatible with the new bike and lid.

Photo’s on the link and e-mail in profile if you’re interested.

Cheers

townydc
    Free Member

Been night riding for 4 years now,started out doing 6am rides 2 times a week but we were limited on routes as we had to get to work after and decided to start riding after work in the evening instead.
    Started out as a once a week Wednesday ride then added a sunday night also to get away from the joy that was x-factor at the time.
    Gradually upgraded our kit, i’e lights and now we rarely venture out in the daytime unless we hit a trail centre at the weekend which is pretty rare.
    TBH night time riding is the norm for us now.

didgerman
    Free Member

In Scotland, Glasgowish, it’s dark from 15.30 to 09.00 in the middle of winter, so night riding it is.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like night rides – in the winter it is a chance to ride a bit more granted, but generally I actually really like them. Even on my own when every sound scares the hell out of me.

The trails feel very different at night, so it makes your local spot a bit more fun than usual. They’re normally quieter too.

binners

The trails do indeed look different at night. I’ve ridden down stuff at night, where I’ve got down ok, just looking down the tunnel of light at whats directly in front of me. Then I’ve returned to the same descent in the daylight, taken one look down it, and said “I’m not bloody riding down that!!!”

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I like it. It’s a bit different to a daytime ride. Not better, just different and variety is a good thing.

Plus over the winter the daylight riding potential is limited so night riding just means you have more opportunity to get out.

If you don’t like it don’t do it. It’s a free(ish), country. Do what makes you happy 🙂

townydc
    Free Member

“If you don’t like it don’t do it. It’s a free(ish), country. Do what makes you happy “

That’ll be bowling then……. 😉

tazzymtb

so Hora doesn’t like night riding, or riding a mountain bike on pebbles, or anything a bit tricky, but he likes swapping frames and buying bits. You are basically one of those fair weather sunday roadies aren’t you hora? all shaved legs and pot belly, squeezed into a pro kit replica , whilst biffling slowly down the road. 😀

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

theonlywayisup

But on solo night rides my mind keeps drifting to thoughts about the film American Warewolf in London.

Same here – it’s always that film, even though I haven’t seen it for years. Strange.

binners

He doesn’t go bowling. Or karting. He spends his evenings roughing up the prime suspect with a selection of rhythm pamphlets 😛

Oh… and as well as American Werewolf, I always think of the Blair Witch project, when I’m in the woods. EEK!

tenfoot

I went out on my bike in the daylight the other day.

I was shocked to discover it’s blue.

Day rides are so rare for me now, that they have become the novelty. It’s all riding, no matter what time of the day.

kcal

some of the “burned in memory” rides have been at night — one of my first, down at Glentress for example. Up on the Pentlands, even just in late summer dim (doesn’t have to mean setting off in dark, just able to extend the evening).

And rides through local forests, when you can turn off the light and ride by full moonlight (looks like ‘night time’ shots from Where Eagles Dare..)

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 1 year old Gloworm X1 & X2 lights for sale if anyone wants them. I’ve got them on the STW classifieds here for £250, but I’ll let them go for £200.

So you’ve used them for a year, and are now selling them for 80% what you paid? How generous of you!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Isn’t night riding something you do behind closed doors?

(Or in a carpark)

richmtb

I was out on Tuesday night. I saw two deer and various other wildlife.

It was great, the woods were lovely and quiet. I could take it all in at exactly the pace I wanted free from other distractions or worrying about bumping into walkers round every bend

Freester

I like riding. If it’s dark I put my lights on and go riding.

scaled
    Free Member

There aren’t that many people (in the general population) that will get night riding, it’s great. Part of it for me is the feeling that I’m doing something bloody stupid!

Then you get rides in mid winter when the moon’s full and there’s a blanket of snow on the ground and you don’t even need the lights.

Then the times where you’re razzing along catching an owl flying along in front of you in the beam. Cavedale in the dark though, that’s hilarious 😀

nikk
    Free Member

Dusk rides have been great this week.

Last night’s Pentlands highlights included a wee mouse dashing out in front of me, and the Army making Castlelaw look like something out of the X-Files.

hora
    Free Member

I like the woods at night and in the day. Growing up playing out in woodland/forests makes it a comfort-blanket for life. Last weekend my 3yr old said dead people, monsters and ghosts were in the woods (off Snake Pass) I replied ‘err no ghosts live in houses’ (maybe that wasn’t a wise idea either to say that)..

I also like visual- sights/views when I’m out.

On the night sky thing- recently we went to Snowdon and after the pub we laid out looking up at the night sky that had ZERO light pollution.. on many trails near cities you’d struggle to see the shooting stars 😀

Its just something I don’t ‘get’ about night riding. Maybe the rides I’ve done have been too tame?

tomd
    Free Member

I like night riding. A few things:
    – The feeling of being out doing something when everyone else is in wathcing TV
    – Seeing wildlife, like owls gliding down the trail
    – Nightscapes over the city from up on the hill
    – Improve fitness
    – Breathing new life into old trails
    – Getting lost
    – The “on edge” feeling of solo night riding in a forest

chiefgrooveguru

Maybe the rides I’ve done have been too tame?

I can’t be the only person that does the same rides in the night as in the day? And at the same speed.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I was out with the local group (MTB Berkhamsted), last night. 18 of us met at the local shop and went out from there. Did 34k door to door with a couple of pints at the pub at the end. Top fun. Better than bowling.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve only done local night rides and one up at Rivington. It just felt meh. Maybe I need to ride the trails of the Peaks at night 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I have to solo night ride, no one else wants/is able to near me. It does seem silly when you are lying on the ground after an off deep in the woods 1/2 mile from the nearest road though

hora
    Free Member

Admittedly everytime I’ve been to the alps I’ve wandered off from France over to the Switzerland and around etc/back on my own but I’ve had I.D/medical card etc and its daylight with fairly frequent other riders to come across me.

At night though in woods, on your own – it’ll be morning possibly longer if its a weekday before you are found by a dog walker etc!

rOcKeTdOg

The wildlife & insects find dead meat within minutes

tenfoot

I have a Garmin with a live link to my phone, so that if I come a cropper somewhere, my wife can find me..

Trails do look different in the day, but the majority of trails we ride have been first ridden at night time.

hora
    Free Member

The wildlife & insects find dead meat within minutes

Or the gay badgers

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Night riding- I just don't get it’ is closed to new replies.