• This topic has 107 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Night rides in the woods – sh1tting oneself
  • tizzzzle
    Free Member

Does this happen to anyone else? Not literally (that’s another thread entirely). I went out tonight in the woods with two of China’s brightest and cheapest LED lamps and had a blast – it’s just that I found the experience a bit, well, ‘scary’ to be honest. Probably not helped by listening to a podcast about people disappearing in the wilderness last night 😯

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

tizzzzle am with you, love a good night ride but get the creeps on the flat bits

nuke

Don’t worry, there’s nothing out there at night that isn’t there during the day

…only now its awake and hungry 😯

(Copied from TeetoSugars post off here from 3 years ago…always remembered it 8) )

thegreatape
    Free Member

I just wear my Dog Soldiers mask when I’m out in the woods at night. That makes any bad guys run away.

Speshpaul

“Don’t worry, there’s nothing out there at night that isn’t there during the day
    …only now its awake and hungry
    (Copied from TeetoSugars post off here from 3 years ago…always remembered it ) “

My kids quote this to me now.

A true STW classic.

ricky1
    Free Member

Went up the forest the other week for our first night ride,mate was fast,I was slow,his light disappeared out of site….cue new underpants 😕

jam-bo

you are the weirdo in the woods…

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Must admit it was amazing having the whole place to myself apart from the deer, foxes, rats and owls. And possibly the chap hiding in the trees I was convinced I saw at one point on a climb. PB on strava though

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Used to night ride a lot in Longleat Forest. Occasionally solo.

When you’re alone deep in a forest at night and you can hear lions roaring nearby, you don’t half pedal fast.

tom200

It’s the people lurking in small groups without dogs that weird me out.

asbrooks

Went up the forest the other week for our first night ride,mate was fast,I was slow,his light disappeared out of site

Yeah, that happens to me often..I’m not scared of being left alone..I’m scared of misjudging a drop or hitting a tree. It’s where I seem to damage myself the most. 😯

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Just do it more, I night ride alone all the time and used to get spooked at first by wildlife crashing through the undergrowth nearby and owls following overhead. And that’s despite spending much of my childhood camping, playing run outs in the dark in the woods, remember playing hunt the head with a football in a carrier bag in Ashdown forest at night as a kid while camping nearby after the discovery of a buried headless body there in the 80s!
    You’ll soon get used to it, just don’t do it after watching the film Wolfman the night before like I did a couple of weeks ago, imagination was running wild then!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Tizzzzle – what was the podcast you were listening to?

woody2000

you are the weirdo in the woods

This 🙂

tizzzzle
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member
    Tizzle – what was the podcast you were listening to?

POSTED 24 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Howard Hughes ‘the unexplained’. It was the one with David Paulides who investigates odd disapperances. All a bit jivehoneyjive but entertaining!

davesmate
    Free Member

So glad I’m not the only one. There’s a long slow climb on one of my local routes, the only thing I think of when I’m blowing out my arse halfway up it in the dark is that if a mad man with an axe jumps out of the shadows and comes after me, I haven’t got the legs to get away from him. It’s pretty much my favourite climb in daylight!

stoney
    Free Member

Im with tizzzzle on this one….It`s the Werewolfs that worry me…. 😐

SaxonRider

It’s the Blair Witch I’m afraid of. And sudden memories of Dog Soldiers.

But as unfit as I am, it does mean ascents tend to go quite quickly.

garage-dweller

Rubbish past deleted

victoriamazie
    Free Member

Went out for my first nightride in the woods recently. Absolutely awesome. And definately got the heart working extra hard because of the adrenaline rush/fear of bogey men.

stoney
    Free Member

😛 @ daveamate….. now imagine my dilema in the N. Lakes where everything is a steep climb/hikabike

Sheeps eyes glow in the dark….. 😉

bikeneil
    Free Member

Aah Howard Hughes. He has some good guests on.

stoney
    Free Member

I applaud victoraimazie… 😉

My missus won`t go up the stairs without putting all the lights on… 🙄

devs
    Free Member

If something shits you up get off and face it. Trust me you’ll get fed up fronting up to all these demons and I guarantee none of them will come back at you. My demons steer well clear of me now 🙂 50kms pretty remote night ride last night and loved all of it. If there’s moon and I’m on fire road I’ll turn the lights off. It’s magic.

Northwind

It can be pretty creepy sometimes. Depends on your choice of woods too, some dank black pine forests are creepy enough in daylight.

As far as getting mugged/raped/murdered, though, just view it from the side of the murderer- they’re not going to hang around in a forest all night on the offchance someone rides a bike past, you’ll never get any murdering done that way. So it’s probably pretty safe. Unless one of your riding buddies is a murderer in which case…

philjunior
    Free Member

Logically it’s lying in a ditch for hours before people find me (if people find me) that I should be scared of

But I’m much more scared of the shadows in the corner of my eye etc.

Oddly it doesn’t get me on places like the canal, even though it’s unlit. I think trees next to the trail set it off properly. Although there are trees by the canal in places. Oh who knows. Maybe it’s climbing speeds combined with trees.

scotroutes

Riding and running in the dark is awesome. The deer round here don’t know what to make of you when you’re approaching them so tend to stand on/beside the track and stare as you go past 😆

stoney
    Free Member

😯 @ Northwind…..

I dread to think what my riding buddies would do….

Think i might stay in! 😉

tizzzzle
    Free Member

It’s not the raping/murdering/mugging I’m worried about.

It’s more the clowns / werewolves / Bigfoot

stoney
    Free Member

Exactly 😉

fasthaggis

It’s when someone at work happens to ask “Up to anything last night?”.
    Then you watch their expression change as you explain about being a weirdo in the woods with a head torch night rides 😉

Northwind

Well as long as you don’t go riding with any clowns… Ah, that’s me ****ed.

mcnultycop

It scares me, that’s why I do it. It feels miles faster than it really is, too.

fasthaggis

Werewolves? …..There ,wolves

tenfoot

It used to freak me out but I got used to it.

Top tip – take an axe with you. What’s the chance there would be 2 axe wielding maniacs in the woods at one time?

Gary_C

Gary_C

radrob
    Free Member

^^^ haha gary c superb

radrob
    Free Member

How can I get that image gary

chiefgrooveguru

The way I see it is that I can outrun anyone downhill and even when going uphill I only need turn around to make my escape. Plus, statistically I must be the least likely target demographic for any mentalist. I night ride on my own for a couple of hours most weeks before joining my mates for another two hours of night riding – but weirdly I only get scared riding home afterwards! It’s the surprise rabbits that are the worst…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Night rides in the woods – sh1tting oneself’ is closed to new replies.