Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Nicotine Replacement Therapy and breathlessness
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Well, I decided to go and quit smoking, and have been a non-smoker for 28 days. I stopped when it felt right and used the NRT programme offered by Boots. Anyway I have succeeded and I’m chuffed with myself but not looking for compliments…

As I was a rollie-smoker of about 10 a day I was started on the medium-strength 10mg patch. After 3 weeks I suggested I went down to the light 5mg patches as I was becoming increasingly breathless, and thought 10mg was too much for me and causing an allergic reaction. It didn’t help, but I stopped using the patches for a few days and used 2mg gum instead, which did help.

The breathlessness can only be described as not getting a satisfying lungful of air, or productive yawn, or like excercising at altitude. I’m baffled as otherwise I’m fit, healthy with no allergies or chest complaints.

I popped an antihistamine earlier at the advice of my nurse-GF but that hasn’t helped. I’ve heard stories that it can be a reaction to the patches but my doctor can’t explain it. The only other thing I can think of is a psychological reaction to the nicotine leaving my body…

Anyway, will persevere with my doctor if it persists, but in the meantime has this happened to anyone else?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Maybe it’s caused by something totally unrelated. If your GP is stuck for an explanation and this carries on, why not try another doctor in the practice for a second opinion?

nickc

I’m baffled as otherwise I’m fit, healthy with no allergies or chest complaints.

The effects of smoking are going to take a while to go.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Yes, you’re right – I was a smoker from the age of 20, so 11 years of crap building up. Having stopped for a month feels like an eternity, and the longest period of not smoking so I’m in unchartered territory now!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

It’s your lungs getting better, now they’re not being clogged up they’re ‘growing back’ or whatever, and you’re not used to what it feels like.* Go and ride (up) a big hill, help them get back to how they should be

*this isn’t really based on anything, let alone anything medical.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Riding up a hill…? Oh I used to do that, a long time ago :o)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy and breathlessness’ is closed to new replies.